Nikon xmp sidecar files

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Nikon xmp sidecar files

Postby Richard Allen » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:48 pm

I have been attempting to import all of my Nikon .nef files into C1 but have run into a problem that I'm not sure how to solve as I'm new to using C1.

Up to date I have been using Lightroom to import my files (Nikon .nef files from a Nikon D3) via a card reader and Lightroom has no problems reading the files.

When I attempt to import the files into C1 most of them firstly appear as they should in the thumbnails but very quickly turns a nasty shade of pink with the image showing (mostly) as a jumble of lines; totally unreadable to C1.

When I say most of the images it would appear that the newer files that import into C1 have no xmp sidecar files whereas the older files with xmp sidecar files turn that ugly shade of pink. By that I mean that all of the newer folders of mine show only .nef files in them whereas the older folders show a .nef file together with an xmp file.

Is it that I need to set up C1 to be able to read the separate xmp sidecar files and if so how do I achieve this, or is it that there is a genuine problem with the files and I won't be able to do anything about it?

It's just very frustrating to have found such a great RAW processor such as C1 and end up having to convert all of my 'dodgy' files into dng just so that C1 can see them. I'm not happy with the dng format as it fails to give C1 lens data and I can never quite get the image to look the way I want it to compared to a 'good' nef image that can be read by C1.

I hope that all made sense, I'm not sure... ;)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein
Richard Allen

Re: Nikon xmp sidecar files

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Could it be that the older .NEF files have been touched with Nikon Capture NX2 or something like that? This could prevent CO8 from properly reading the raw in the .NEF.

CO8 only reads metadata from XMP files. Maybe it is confused by the contents of the XMP files. You could import a few older files without the XMP files in place.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Richard Allen » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:14 pm

There are a few (and I mean only a few) files that were imported using CNX2 but nearly all of the files concerned were imported using Lightroom (versions 3 to 5).
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein
Richard Allen

Postby Richard Allen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:22 pm

I've removed the xmp files and attempted to re-import the files but there's no change, the image are still showing as a pink mess.

I find this all very frustrating especially when all Adobe products will read the nef files, DXO Optics Pro will read the files, PaintShop Pro will read the files so why won't Capture One Pro8?

Sorry, just frustrated at the moment... ;)
Richard Allen

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Richard, are you on CO 8.1.1? If not, please update, create a new session or catalog and try again.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Richard Allen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Paul, I very much appreciate your time in attempting to help me... :)

I'm using Capture One Pro v8.1.1 and have (just now) created a new catalogue and imported some more Nikon .nef files with the same result in that for a second or two I get a legible thumbnail but then as the file is read it once again turns a nasty shade of pink.

One folder of files was unreadable by Capture One but the next folder of files was able to be read and modified. I can't see any reason why one file is readable and another one isn't. I don't have the knowledge to be able to look into a .nef file and see what is causing the problem, I wish I could.

If I use the Adobe DNG converter to convert the files to .dng format Capture One Pro 8 can then read them.
Richard Allen

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:45 pm

I suggest you contact Phase One support.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635318902730138100UL » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Richard

In the first instance try this… in CO open a folder with your troublesome NEFs in it. Click the I(nformation) icon in CO, open the EXIF Camera panel and check what it says re Software.

Compare the 'pink' tinted NEFs v 'non pinks'.

Report back.
NN635318902730138100UL

Postby Richard Allen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 pm

The unreadable nef files show - Capture NX 2.2.0 W

The readable nef files show - Ver. 2.03

I didn't think that the unreadable ones had been through Nikon Capture NX, I must be wrong there.

The problem now is how to rectify the problem so that the images can be seen by Capture One Pro 8.

The EXIF information is all there (in the unreadable ones) showing the aperture etc. as is the information regarding what camera was used to take the images.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that RAW files have a JPEG file embedded in the image so that it's visible to a RAW editor (cold be totally wrong here) and it's that that's causing the problem?
Richard Allen

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:12 pm

I have seen reports that rectify the issue. Not sure about the details, but saving compressed in NX2 or something like that was the trick. Try a search here or on the Mac forum. It played around the D810 support, so that you could be your search term.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Richard Allen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Paul,
I'll do some searching and get back to, thanks.. :)
Richard Allen

Postby Thies » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Richard,
I think the topic Paul refers to can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16963. In CNX2 'save as...' the image as .nef with compressed and lossless options checked.
Thies

Postby NN635318902730138100UL » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:00 pm

OK the solution is not pretty, but far better than creating DNGs.

Essentially, you've got to 'bust back' your CNX2 adjusted NEFs to their 'Original' state using the batching process to process all such NEFs in any/ all affected folder.

You need to select an unedited NEF, in CNX2, making absolutely sure it is an unedited one. Check the Version drop-down to ensure that it says 'Original'. Then once you are 100% sure, copy these Original adjustments.

Then select all CNX2 edited NEFs and apply the paste Adjustments commands, as a batch command. Ensure that you select Lossless Compressed.

Do a folder, then check this folder as an import to CO, for any errors. Should work.

Then when you've done that, report back on the colour tagging/ ratings. Potential problem with how CNX2 v VNX2 is handled by CO them during import. - In this regard check the help panel in CNX2 for an understanding - you may have inadvertently fallen foul to making an CO incompatible choice, in CNX2 preferences.
NN635318902730138100UL

Postby Richard Allen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Thank you everyone for your very welcomed help/advice.

I managed to load NX2 back onto my computer (running Windows 7) and did the batch conversion making sure that the files were set to compressed.

So far all of the the batched files are managed to be seen in Capture One Pro 8, and they're loading faster as well.

I can't tell you how happy I am and how pleased I am with all of the advice and very helpful people here on this forum.

I did look at the page mentioned (viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16963&p=84802&hilit=saving+compressed+in+NX2&sid=da553978f317fcaee840379f77c7a55b#p84802) which pointed me into the right direction, as did, of course, all of your advice.

Oh well, off to do lot of converting of files... ;)
Richard Allen

Postby NN636802831268091016UL » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 am

file you may have heard the term sidecar files you might have also heard the term XMP. files it the terms are actually synonymous they're one and the same thing a sidecar file basically is a file. that's kept next to the original. raw file that contains all of the information on the develop settings for that raw file liteblue.
NN636802831268091016UL

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x Software