Activating Credo back for pinhole photography

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Leaf Credo series digital camera backs.

Activating Credo back for pinhole photography

Postby Rogerxnz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:07 am

Hi, I want to use my Credo 60 with a technical camera and a plate with a pinhole for the lens but without a shutter. I want to be able to turn the sensor on and off for exposures of some length.

Can I do this by inserting a jack/plug with two wires connected to an on/off switch into the "flash" socket on the back?

I hope to have the shutter open, turn on the sensor using my switch cable and stop the exposure by turning the switch off. Possibly, the correct way is to turn the switch on and off to commence the exposure and then turn the switch on and off to stop the exposure.

Please advise how I can turn the sensor on and off without a lens with a flash socket.
Roger
Rogerxnz

Re: Activating Credo back for pinhole photography

Postby Ulf » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:57 am

Hi

How I have done this in the past is the following way:

Mount the Mini jack to multipart connector to the back
Item 50300144
And then a Wake up cable to to this
Item 50300131

(See cables here : http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article. ... nguageid=1 )

Capture sequence would be this.
    Cover pin hole.
    Press wake up button once.
    Press it again and hold it down.
    Open cover for pin hole
    Close cover when done.
    Release wake up cable button.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Rogerxnz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:02 am

Thank you , Drew and Ulf but I think your solutions and cables will only work on PhaseOne backs and I have a Credo which I think does not have a socket to fit the connectors shown on the page you referred me to.

Can I emphasise that I will not have a shutter and I propose to regulate the minutes-long exposures by turning the sensor on and off.

Why can I not have a simple on/off switch on a two-wire cable to a 2.5mm plug that goes into one of the two corresponding sockets on the rim of the Credo back?

If the back was powered on I expect that either I close the switch to turn on the sensor and open the switch to turn off the sensor or I close and open the switch to turn on the sensor and close and open the switch to turn the sensor off.

What else can you do with a two-wire arrangement?

Would I cause any harm to the back trying this?
Roger
Rogerxnz

Postby Ulf » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi

This will work on Credo which have exactly the same connectors as a IQ.
You will find the connectors on the left side of the back both the mulisync port and the flash sync port aree covered by plastic covers.

You can of course use the 2.5mm sockets too.
This port only exist with backs with V mount,hence why this was not my first recommendation. Also the multi sync to wake up cables just makes it a bit easier to keep the camera still.

The problem is not so much when you start the capture as it is when you finish the capture.
While sensor is reading out data / doing black calibration; there must be complete darkness.
The pinhole can not be open or you will get very strange image errors.

There is no harm in trying anything. Go a head, have fun! :D
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Leaf Credo series camera backs