Red Eye Reduction ?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Red Eye Reduction ?

Postby Greg14 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:19 pm

I read where CO 7 did not have Red Eye.

Does CO 8 now have Red Eye reduction?
Greg14

Re: Red Eye Reduction ?

Postby Jimmy D Uptain » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:49 am

Not as far as I know.
Just make a layer, brush in the eyes, adjust to taste.
Jimmy D Uptain

Postby SFA » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:03 am

By chance a few days ago I discovered that the spot tool, applied to a red eye area, does a pretty good job.

I have no idea if that in a design intention but it seemed to work well in the images I happened to be looking at at the time. I was pleasantly surprised.

It might be worth trying it if you have not already done so.

Grant
SFA

Postby Greg14 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 am

I realize that CPO* is designed for Professionals but users like me who want a software like this is being ignored.
I think that they need to expand and include an item like this for non professionals who are willing to spend the extra to get a great product.
Just my thought!!!!
Greg14

Postby Drew » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:58 am

Greg14 wrote:I realize that CPO* is designed for Professionals but users like me who want a software like this is being ignored.
I think that they need to expand and include an item like this for non professionals who are willing to spend the extra to get a great product.
Just my thought!!!!

A great suggestion but our priority must be given to professionals and professional features. Red Eye Reduction has never been in any version Capture One software and is not a feature we see a demand for in the professional market. The workaround suggested in the thread by Jimmy is the best solution.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby moweber70 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 am

Now that Capture One is being sold as part of an editing package for even non-professionals (Sony Express Pro version), might we see some progress towards this? I would think that someone who would buy a small mirrorless camera and be told that CO was the software to use for the camera, I'd be disappointed that even such a basic feature were not included. It's a $30 purchase for these people, not $300. I think the expectation would be something like "My $30 software can't do red eye reduction." Not "This is a $300 professional tool and doesn't need red eye because professionals don't need it." Sorry if that sounds snarky.
moweber70

Postby SFA » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:20 am

moweber70 wrote:Now that Capture One is being sold as part of an editing package for even non-professionals (Sony Express Pro version), might we see some progress towards this? I would think that someone who would buy a small mirrorless camera and be told that CO was the software to use for the camera, I'd be disappointed that even such a basic feature were not included. It's a $30 purchase for these people, not $300. I think the expectation would be something like "My $30 software can't do red eye reduction." Not "This is a $300 professional tool and doesn't need red eye because professionals don't need it." Sorry if that sounds snarky.

Sounds persuasive on the surface but I do wonder how many people will get "Red-Eye Function " fixable problems AND be RAW file shooters. I'm assuming that the Sony in-camera Red Eye fix does not apply to the RAW files. Outside that user group one might expect the jpg users to prefer to fix the problem in camera wherever possible.

Maybe the Sony in-camera code could somehow be lifted and adapted and dropped into the Sony specific versions?

The majority of people posting on this forum seem to be using multiple converters/editors anyway so the red-eye issue may not be that significant as a problem for them. That said I appreciate that it's dangerous to extrapolate the apparent usage mix of the members of a forum to the full population of users.

Writing personally on the 2 or 3 occasions I have needed to do any work on red-eye (compact camera output) I have not felt that the quality of the output has suffered by using an alternative editor to fix the red-eye when required. But then the typical situation for red-eye to appear is not often likely to be producing notably high quality images in most cases so one might argue that C1 use would be overkill anyway.

All just my opinion of course.

Grant
SFA

Postby Jimmy D Uptain » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:54 am

Wow, dude, that's harsh.

Maybe you should bite the bullet, fix your red-eye and move on.

I stopped having red-eye issues a LONG time ago. Probably because I didn't like fixing them in post.

The software isn't an end-all solution. You gotta get it right in camera.
Jimmy D Uptain

Return to Capture One 8.x Software