Pink Highlights

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Pink Highlights

Postby NN8887812 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi All,

For a while I have been experiencing a 'pink' cast in highlight areas using a P65+, particularly, but not exclusively in white areas that 'approach' full exposure so still contain highlight detail. I'm finding to avoid the effect I have to expose to the left or correct in PS. I use a technical camera and Phase Camera and is NOT related to LCC and this occurs with all lenses.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phil
NN8887812

Re: Pink Highlights

Postby Drew » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:31 am

NN8887812 wrote:....and is NOT related to LCC and this occurs with all lenses.

Is it not possible all your lenses have a cast?
Can you provide an example?
Can you create a support case?
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NN8887812 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:14 am

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I created a support case yesterday but have yet to provide examples.

I'm using the latest Digaron W's on a technical camera and Mamiya lenses for handheld shooting. I personally can't believe the lenses are at fault. Firstly, I feel the behaviour is too regular lens to lens. It occurs with or without movements

This appears to have 'crept' up on me for a while now. Spuriously, the anomaly occurs not in 'blown' areas but in the regions 'approaching' full exposure. That said, when a reasonable amount of highlight recovery in C1 is applied the cast 'comes into play.'

I shall create another support case and get some files to you forthwith.

Thanks again
NN8887812

Postby Drew » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:50 pm

NN8887812 wrote: I created a support case yesterday but have yet to provide examples.

Sorry but I can't find anything after April of this year.
Let me know when the new support case is in and the RAW files provided, i'd be happy to have a look.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NN8887812 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:44 am

Hi Drew,

I've opened a support case and uploaded some images. I have more images in different situations to illustrate the effect. I guess it started happening notably on C1V7 and more so with V8. Ironically, The better the HDR tool becomes the worst the effect is and therefore....the less I can effectively apply it without 'pinking' the highlights.

Thanks again
Phil
NN8887812

Postby Philip14 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Any movement on this? I have just created a case about this same issue on our P65+.

Thanks.
Philip14

Postby AD » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:17 pm

I am also experiencing this issue with my P65. Any resolution?
AD

Postby Timandrews » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Hello,
This may not be an issue for you, but I was given incorrect information concerning LCC when I first started shooting with my Phase One back on a view camera. I was told by my dealer that the calibration only had to be made once for each lens, and that calibration could be used on all future exposures for that lens. This is absolutely incorrect!

A new LCC MUST be used any time there is a change in tilt/shift. This also applies when the orientation of the back changes from vertical to horizontal, or vice versa. The color shift always shows up as green/magenta (pink).

If there is any change in camera movements or focus between shots, I always make a new LCC.
Timandrews

Postby NN8887812 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:28 pm

I have been using various P backs for 10 years and have, absolutely always captured a relevant LCC file for absolutely every shot...I minor change of shift, focus, aperture etc. I simply take another LCC. It is and has always been a 'normal' part of capture workflow.

I created a support case with PHASE and simply haven't even after all this time been able to be without my back for more than a few days. It is suggested that it is a calibration issue and therefore, the unit has to return to PHASE for factory re-calibration. Unlike the IQ series which, I'm given to understand can be re-calibrated locally via flash transfer.

Various dealers have either suggested anything from lenses to cameras and even monitors! This is absolutely not the case and unless you are unfortunate enough to see this anomaly from experience, it's impossible to describe ...or more or less. As stated previously, I simply expose more to the left.

...Now I need to find 2-3 weeks to be without my back!
NN8887812

Postby Andrey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:08 pm

NN8887812 wrote:Hi All,
...particularly, but not exclusively in white areas that 'approach' full exposure so still contain highlight detail.

Hi Phil,
I had the similar issue but the simple investigation showed that it was a usual overexposure. The green channel most commonly gets clipped first, hence the pink cast; it is hardly possible to recover all the color information when the G is distorted (at the right end of the G histogram).
I used the two following tools to analyze the raw file as it really is (without any silent adjustment that some raw convertors do):
FastRawViewer (http://www.fastrawviewer.com/) and RawDigger (http://www.rawdigger.com/). Any single of them will do.

In practice it is easy to check if you are really in the same situation: just do several shots every time decreasing the exposure.

Hope it can help.
Best regards
Andrey
Andrey

Postby NN8887812 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:06 pm

[quote]The green channel most commonly gets clipped first, hence the pink cast; it is hardly possible to recover all the color information when the G is distorted (at the right end of the G histogram)./quote]

Thanks for your reply Andrey. However, a channel's clipping is entirely dependant on the 'colour' and ambience of the light - therefore, subject matter captured during exposure. For me, most subject matter results in a clipping (if any at all!) of the blue channel. Raw digger is a good analytical tool that I'd recommend to anyone.

Phil
NN8887812

Postby Andrey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 am

Phil, I agree, what channel gets clipped first it is completely scene/lighting dependent.

By the way, it would be very nice if the backs could display the RAW histogram rather than in-camera JPG histogram. At least as an option: if somewhere in the menu the item "Display histogram of" had 2 options:
(o) JPG
( ) RAW
X-axis in stops (2-3 rightmost stops of the whole range are the most interesting), Y axis -- also a log scale.
That would be very, very helpful.
I doubt that any manufacturer offers such a feature. So if Phase One listen to me, there is a change to become Phase First in this area :)

Phil, if you have solved your problem I just wonder was the cause of pink highlights the clipping or anything more serious, anything related to hardware?

Best regards
Andrey
Andrey

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs