Color shift exporting a variant to work on in PS

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Color shift exporting a variant to work on in PS

Postby Matthew Cherry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:16 am

Hello All!

First post here and I'm sure it will be the first of many.

I just got a Mamiya DM33 back for my RZ67 Pro IID. Did a test shoot with it the other day and absolutely love it. But I find I'm having a problem with color on files that I alter in CO7...

I've done some color work on a few files in CO7, including some creative levels adjustments, adjustment layer work and vignette. The color and contrast looks absolutely beautiful (as does ever file I make with this back). The problem comes when I export a variant into PS. I'm exporting as an uncompressed 16 bit PSD file and the result is different than what I have in CO7. It's not a huge difference, but it's there, slight shifts in color balance, saturation and contrast. I get the exact same result when exporting as a TIFF.

ICC Profile that I used for these shots in CO7 is Mamiya LF2 Portrait 4. The Curve is Mamiya DM 33 Portrait Soft. I'm using the Capture One 7 Engine.

I'm exporting the variant using the ProPhoto color space. I have also tried embedding the camera profile, but that doesn't make any difference.

If someone could PLEASE help me get this straightened out I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!.
Matthew Cherry

Re: Color shift exporting a variant to work on in PS

Postby Matthew Cherry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Really? No one else has experienced this? I'm assuming it's some setting I have wrong. If someone from Phase could check into this I would be very grateful.

Also, if I may ask, how come there are no real guides to using this software? I'm not talking about the videos, which are a great quick start mind you, but it would seem a detailed book would be in order?
Matthew Cherry

Postby SFA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:09 pm

A very quick two suggestions.

Have you by any chance got a Proof Profile applied when editing?

Secondly I would create a support case with Phase for this. I suspect there may not be many active forum members using the same equipment as you list and therefore the adjustments will likely not be very familiar to those readying your description.

As a User to User forum this is not officially monitored by Phase Support staff. In any case it is unlikely there will be an official response to your questions other than to suggest you create a support case - a wholly acceptable request in my view since without a structured management of user's trouble reports it would be almost impossible to deliver a satisfactory service level at an affordable product price.

Luckily I have not had any need to use Phase Support so far but from what I have read responses are mostly very rapid during the working week.

Hope this helps.

Grant Perkins
SFA

Postby NNN634983132166346890 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:28 am

I have exact same problem in CO7.
All images in Out Put folder all colors shift, its not the same yellow color i apply in CO7 before processing.
After all images in .TIFF look different. I even see when images are about to end processing (at that moment I'm in the Out Put Folder) I can see how all colors change a bit when done processing. I was shooting with P30+ on H2 Hasselblad camera.
NNN634983132166346890

Postby Drew » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:24 pm

It's likely an issue with Color Management.
Just run a test and change everything to Adobe 1998.

Monitor (all monitors), Proof Profile, output Profile, Photoshop Working space, Photoshop Proof Profile, etc

Once everything is consistent, look at the image in Capture One at 100% compared to an output Tiff at 100% in Photoshop at 100%. Everything should be 1:1 and if not, you have to check the advanced features of Photoshop for color render.

Capture One is pretty simple in this respect. We use the Default (emphasis for a good reason) monitor profile to build the render of your image with the Proof Profile you choose (by default this is your Process Recipe Output Profile). Any inconsistencies are almost always Photoshop settings that are overlooked. For example, I've helped dozens of people realize there's a simple render option in Photoshop that desaturates images on the monitor by 20% that's often unknowingly clicked :wink: :lol:
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN634983132166346890 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:37 am

No, its not this. Nothing to do with photoshop. its CO Pro 7.2 problem I think, I need to try to do on Capture 6 to see result.
When I do adjustments in Capture One Pro 7.2 or 7.2.3 after I process images and I compare processed and non processed images still in capture one. I can see that it gets lighter a bit like 2-3% and plus colors shift. some green cast goes on.
I tried on 2 computers , 2 Captures Ones, still does the same crap.
Algis
NNN634983132166346890

Postby NNN634983132166346890 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:25 am

So I tested all in Capture 6 and all is fine. there is something wrong with Capture 7.
Need to see also Capture 8.

QUESTION : Can we run Capture 8 on Max OS X 10.6 ?
NNN634983132166346890

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:45 am

NNN634983132166346890 wrote:...
QUESTION : Can we run Capture 8 on Max OS X 10.6 ?

No. If I am right, the installer won't even run.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Drew » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:35 am

NNN634983132166346890 wrote: ...after I process images and I compare processed and non processed images still in capture one. I can see that it gets lighter a bit like 2-3% and plus colors shift

I think this is just a bit of a misunderstanding in regard to Capture One.
The software is a RAW conversion software. As such, when you import a TIFF it treats it as if it was a RAW file and applies the same level of Color Management. So, in a RAW you do NOT have a fixed Color Space, in a TIFF you do. So you are going to be proofing a TIFF twice based on the embedded profile.
Unfortunately with Capture One you cannot have two images side by side showing different Proof Profiles, so you will only see the RAW Proof Profile applied to the TIFF.

As suggested, please compare the Render of the RAW in Capture One to the Render of the TIFF in Photoshop. They will then be 1:1.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software