IQ180 Compact Flash Card Offloading Times

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

IQ180 Compact Flash Card Offloading Times

Postby NN109526UL2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 pm

I use the IQ180 back and the SanDisk Extreme 64GB cards, rated at 60mb/s. Currently, I use the ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard with Intel i7 Extreme Quad Core and with 24GB of DDR3 DIMM RAM. I use the USB3 SanDisk Multi card reader, attached directly to the USB3 I/O port on the board, not through an expansion card. It takes 8 hours to offload a SINGLE, TOTALLY FULL, 64GB card, into an external, USB3 Western Digital 3TB HHD, linked directly into the USB3 port on the I/O board, using their supplied USB3 cable.

Is this a normal time frame? Is there a faster, yet 100% reliable, offload method?

My choreography is to load the card into the SanDisk Reader, open the pre-made Client Folder, locate the pre-made job folder and open the pre-made client's job RAW files Folder. Then, I open the "computer" option, locate the SanSisk drive, open the drive/card, select all of the exposed files and drag/drop into the proper RAW files folder for the client and the job.

Is there a faster way to do this offloading or is this a standard time frame?

I am going to build the next desktop with the newest ASUS Z97-120 motherboard, 32GB DDR4 RAM and the 8 core 5960x Intel processor. Will this shorten the transfer times or are those times limited by the USB3 reader and cards, themselves? Where are the bottlenecks?
NN109526UL2

Re: IQ180 Compact Flash Card Offloading Times

Postby MikeNYC » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 pm

8 HOURS is absolutely not a standard offload time. You're seeing a transfer speed of just over 2MB/s, whereas your card should do about 30x that (in other words, in about 20 minutes in optimal conditions).

Something strange is going on with your setup. I'd check your system info (I'm a Mac guy, so I check in OSX System Report -> USB) to make sure your card reader isn't actually mounting at USB 1.1 or 2.0 speeds. I've had several USB3 issues where external devices have completed a USB handshake at slow speeds, despite device and host being USB3.

Have you tried a SATA CF reader? Or a different USB reader?

You've got a strange bottleneck somewhere to sort out.
MikeNYC

Postby MikeNYC » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Check this page for instructions on confirming USB 3 handshake in Windows:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/arc ... speed.aspx
MikeNYC

Postby NN109526UL2 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:47 pm

That is what I was afraid of. Thank you for the link. Very helpful and obvious, at the same time. Who has the best USB3 card reader?
NN109526UL2

Postby brianmerwin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:14 pm

NN109526UL2 wrote:Who has the best USB3 card reader?

At this point they are all pretty ubiquitous. Lexar was first to market and I've had this one http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Dual-Reader-Professional-LRW307URBNA/dp/B007FEFQDA since it was released. It works great, although I'm not in love with the build quality.

If you're willing to pay a bit more for something really well made I'd recommend the Hoodman reader: http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-Ruggedized-Steel-Superspeed-Reader/dp/B005UEB6OK

I've heard positive things about the readers made by Transcend as well but haven't used them personally.
brianmerwin
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs