Now version 8 is out

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Now version 8 is out

Postby Adam52 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am

Now version 8 is out does that mean that they`re not going to add any more cameras to V7 ? . I really hope they fix the thumbnail crashing bugs they introduced in the last revision before they write 7 off totally ..

I also wish they did an upgrade sliding scale rather than a single cutoff date, IE:- 69 Euros if over a year, and gradually less for how long since buying the previous version - I only bought late may this year .
Adam52

Re: Now version 8 is out

Postby Keith Reeder » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:55 am

Aside from the support for the D810 - http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16926&p=80198#p80198 - and any bug fixes already in the pipeline, it's safe to assume that version 7 is done.
Keith Reeder

Postby SFA » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Adam52 wrote: I only bought late may this year .

Full price or a discounted price Adam?

In the general scheme of things I don't see an upgrade charge for what is almost always a significant feature enhancement with a new version as a big deal, compared with the general costs of photography at any level.

Given the relatively small sums involved the complexity (and potential for ever more "discussions" about how many days per allowed additional discount collar should be provided) of setting up and checking potentially thousands of purchases would make no sense at all on a commercial basis. And without a commercial basis we probably have no product to look forward to - or at least no product that we might expect to have a future at the leading edge of what it does.

What I like about the upgrades is that they usually offer me excellent potential to go back to old images and improve the results often in ways that help me to find ways to create better images without needing to upgrade my equipment every year or so. It's a much less expensive option in so many ways.

However you could contact the Sales Department and ask them whether they could help out.

Grant
SFA

Postby Adam52 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 pm

I paid the standard upgrade fee, I`ve been a Capture one user for about 10 years ...... I asked about a graded fee for those within the last few months - no go .. result is that I`ll not bother and stick with 7 until a serious upgrade comes along .

I only want 8 because 7 is very buggy & crash prone with Open-CL and very slow without (5 was faster without openCL on tricky files) and for future camera support , even 1DS3s don`t last forever and I`d rather be at the beginning of a converters life than the end .
Adam52

Postby SFA » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Adam52 wrote:I paid the standard upgrade fee, I`ve been a Capture one user for about 10 years ...... I asked about a graded fee for those within the last few months - no go .. result is that I`ll not bother and stick with 7 until a serious upgrade comes along .

I only want 8 because 7 is very buggy & crash prone with Open-CL and very slow without (5 was faster without openCL on tricky files) and for future camera support , even 1DS3s don`t last forever and I`d rather be at the beginning of a converters life than the end .

I'm using V7 on Windows 7 and it's not at all buggy for me. One annoyance that was introduced in the latest V7 release but otherwise fine.

V6 and V5 would have been faster (on the same hardware with the same files) as they were doing less with the images.

I'm using a notebook with a GPU that is not worth considering for OpenCL (so far as I can tell) so its only benefit to m e is when the card handles some of the Windows screen handling leaving a little more i7 processor free to run edit activity. The speed, even absent OpenCL, seems fine.

I installed V8 as a trial a couple of days ago. Looks pretty solid to me and actually does offer more than it appears to at first sight as far as I can tell.

I should probably add that I don't use Catalogues. Whether that improves my experience or not I cannot tell as I have no desire to run a comparison.

Your call, of course, for the upgrade payment. If you are happy with V7 and don't especially need anything that is in V8 right now there would be no harm in waiting until you feel you have had some value from V7.

Grant
SFA

Postby Adam52 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:13 am

I don`t use catalogs either - just use it as a RAW converter only ..

I`m running windows 8.1 (had to upgrade from XP in May due to loads of software upgrades failing to run and although Windows 7 was just buyable, it`s at the end of its support cycle like C1 V7 is now) , running on a 3Ghz older quad core with 8Gb RAM and a very fast HDD, I upgraded the GPU card to one supported by Capture one via open CL - not the fastest one but wow what a difference. it takes less than 2 seconds to convert a 22Mp 1DS Mk3 file though for some reason takes over 5 seconds for 16Mp Panasonic files .. I hope they fix the CL crashing bug in 7.23 , 7.22 was totally issue free .

My graphics card (NVidia) has just had a driver update flagged and I`m wary of updating in case the CL issues get even worse
Adam52

Postby SFA » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:30 pm

The driver update might fix the problem you are having. If not it should be possible to roll back to the current driver.

Grant
SFA

Postby Adam52 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks Grant - I`ve upgraded the driver, it still works , I`ll see how it does under duress on a big shoot
Adam52

Postby Adam52 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 am

it crashed about 6 times processing one wedding . I have to say that I`m tiring of Capture one 7 , without OpenCL it`s too painfully slow to use (where V5 was lightning fast) and with it falls over at the drop of a hat ....
Adam52

Postby Keith Reeder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:28 am

If it's of any comfort Adam, version 8 (even the latest, 8.0.1) is unusably unreliable for me - I'm lucky if I can convert 3 files (using Sessions) without it locking up so badly that I have to kill it with Task Manager.
Keith Reeder

Postby Adam52 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:13 pm

LOL Keith !! .I don`t use sessions, just use it as a raw converter but that you have to do the Kill-with-taskmanager thing at all shows that Phase one still haven`t sorted this bug ridden mess out even in V8 ........ BTW I`m using an approved NVidia graphics card .

I like the better NR and CA correction of V7 but I use this software in my job and I`d give those up for the stability and speed of V5 without open CL .. I didn`t have the issue until 7.22 but as soon as I see a corrupt thumbnail In the navigator, it`s lockup time .

Your experience with V8 leads me to think that Phase one don`t even care about any kind of beta testing ...

I wish that they`d make a fully stable version of the software and then let us stick with that and just pay for camera support separate to software upgrades , that way I could have added new cams to V5 or upgraded the whole package depending on needs .
Adam52

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Adam52 wrote:LOL Keith !! .I don`t use sessions, just use it as a raw converter but that you have to do the Kill-with-taskmanager thing at all shows that Phase one still haven`t sorted this bug ridden mess out even in V8 ........ BTW I`m using an approved NVidia graphics card .

I like the better NR and CA correction of V7 but I use this software in my job and I`d give those up for the stability and speed of V5 without open CL .. I didn`t have the issue until 7.22 but as soon as I see a corrupt thumbnail In the navigator, it`s lockup time .

Your experience with V8 leads me to think that Phase one don`t even care about any kind of beta testing ...

I wish that they`d make a fully stable version of the software and then let us stick with that and just pay for camera support separate to software upgrades , that way I could have added new cams to V5 or upgraded the whole package depending on needs .

Adam,

A couple of observations, the first being that I think Keith has been very unlucky for reasons unknown. In my case I have been able to process loads of files in V8 without problems. Occasionally responsiveness slows for a few seconds but I've been using an external USB 3 drive mainly and I suspect that the 'slow, almost a freeze' may be something to do with Windows and external drives. The only lock up I have seen was during such a situation and was not actually a complete lock up - almost like Windows had switched into some sort of special mode after repeated use of certain keys and refused to come out of it. I got bored of waiting and trying to work out what was happening so killed the process with no loss of work done and no subsequent problems to date. Not have I been able to reproduce the problem although it might have had something to do with repeated fast scrolling attempts going backwards and forwards.

Why I get a different experience to Keith I have no idea.

Secondly if you are opening an image directly in C1 you are likely using a session concept by default. Just not one you have set up for a 'project'.

In which cases there will be a cosession file. That links all the components files together and seems to be used for a few other things as well.

"but as soon as I see a corrupt thumbnail In the navigator, it`s lockup time ."

I saw something that sounds like this just once back in about 7.1 ish time. About 2000 images in a session and now and again, especially scrolling left and right in the browser, C1 would lock and I was forced to crash out. I could then process the next 10 or so images (working sequentially in file name order) before the next problem arose. All the thumbnails looked fine but By pure chance I spotted a corrupt thumbnail displayed (in image name order remember) a long way away imn the browser from where the problem seemed to exist (in human terms). Deleting the dodgy edit file for the image with a bad thumbnail fixed the whole problem. I then created a new edit file for the image and all was well. I have no idea how the original edit file came to be a problem ... but to find a corrupt file once in a while in any sort of application is not unheard of.

If the session concept as such is not important to you try creating a completely new "session" and making it the default session file. With luck you may find the problem disappears.

Grant
SFA

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:58 am

SFA wrote:I think Keith has been very unlucky for reasons unknown.

Yep, a completely legitimate observation, Grant.

Unlike what we see on other threads/forums, I'm not suggesting that my local problems indicate a pervasive issue with the software.
Keith Reeder

Postby SFA » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:
SFA wrote:I think Keith has been very unlucky for reasons unknown.

Yep, a completely legitimate observation, Grant.

Unlike what we see on other threads/forums, I'm not suggesting that my local problems indicate a pervasive issue with the software.

Have you been able to make any progress along a path of problem source resolution? I would be happy to compare specs, Windows update levels and stuff if you think it would help.

Ditto testing specific files/sessions if you have some that consistently show the problem in a way that would make such an approach worthwhile from our respective points of view.

Grant
SFA

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:58 pm

SFA wrote:Have you been able to make any progress along a path of problem source resolution? I would be happy to compare specs, Windows update levels and stuff if you think it would help.

Very kind, Grant.

No progress at all on identifying the problem. I've been working with Phase One on this, who had some hopes for the last maintenance release, based on what they'd seen in the log files I'd sent them; but no, Capture One's as flakey as ever on my machine.

I've got a viable workaround though, in that it runs perfectly and reliably when I fire it up in an alternative User Account, so I'm not stressing over it
Keith Reeder

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software