Tethering over long fiber optic

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

Tethering over long fiber optic

Postby MikeNYC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Does anyone have experience with USB3 and/or FW800 to Fiber Optic media converters? I've got an upcoming shoot where I need a long distance (100m-500m) cable run, and in an RF-hostile environment (WiFi's out). Ethernet can't handle cable runs that long (max length spec 100m/328ft). Obviously FW and USB can't natively do runs that long. So, I'm considering going Fiber.

Has anyone had success with the converters specifically with MF backs or DSLRs? Plan B is tethering to a local laptop, then hook that up to Fiber via an Ethernet->Fiber converter (proven technology), and back to Ethernet at the other end for client viewing and approval. I'm curious though if it's possible to skip the local laptop, and go IQ back right to Fiber, via FW or USB3. Eager to hear any feedback.

BTW, I'm well aware of the Corning USB3 Active Optical Cables. They max out at 100m, and I'm looking for the ability to go longer and be a bit more versatile, hence raw fiber and media converters.

Thanks!
MikeNYC

Re: Tethering over long fiber optic

Postby Drew » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Corning is your best bet.
Contact them regarding repeaters.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby MikeNYC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Drew-

I appreciate your feedback. Ideally I'm looking for a solution over raw fiber, so I can swap the media converters to FW800 when on non-USB backs in the future, or Ethernet media converters should that need arise. Cables can also be swapped out in the future as length needs change. Also, I'm not comfortable with a 500m or longer cable run with multiple Corning AOC cables linked by repeaters, especially since the repeaters would each need to be powered. Has anyone done any actual tests with USB3 or FW800 media converters over Fiber? The Corning AOC cables look great for a specific application, but it doesn't fit my needs.
MikeNYC

Postby Digital Transitions, Doug » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I would absolutely go with the [Local > Ethernet Fiber > Review] route or [Local on 3G] to [Remote on 3G].

You could use Capture Pilot Web, screen sharing, or sync the entire session or quick-proof JPGS (manually processed or processed-at-time-of-capture-using-applescript) to get good remote review.

But any solution you go with where you're connecting to the camera from 500m away means that any issue will result not only in the loss of review, but also the loss of connection to the camera and an inability to keep shooting. In the absolute worst case if you're shooting local and the review station drops out you could sneaker net USB sticks or CF cards. In the absolute worst case for the remote shooting method you simply cannot shoot at all.

By the way, if you want to make an appointment to visit me in our Manhattan office I'd be glad to provide you some backs/bodies/lenses to test various approaches on multiple systems to evaluate their speed and stability - gratis of course. dep@digitaltransitions.com
Digital Transitions, Doug
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby MikeNYC » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:32 am

Doug - Thanks for the feedback and useful advice! I may take you up on your offer to do some testing. I'll shoot you an e-mail first.
MikeNYC

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs