Autofill / Auto complete metadata/keywording

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Re: Autofill / Auto complete metadata/keywording

Postby Maczero » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Just hit this problem as well. I'll submit a feature request to allow autofill to be turned off.

My work round has been to keep TextEdit open to type up captions etc and then cut and paste them into the metadata panel

Andrew
Maczero

Postby cooper » Sun May 25, 2014 2:55 am

I have to say, CO7 autofill metadata is perhaps the single most annoying feature in any piece of software that I use. Whenever I try to fill in a description it constantly overwrites itself with other descriptions, and on the rare occasions when it doesn't it capitalizes every word. That is pure craziness! CO engineers, please at least make it so users can disable this feature. It is not well designed.
cooper

Postby NN8876122 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:16 am

Me too!

This is awful… some of my work in a Museum, where I have to add a Registration Number and description, and this is driving me nuts.

Yes I can do this properly in Photoshop, but if for any reason I have to "re-process" the capture in studio, when the object tag is in the museum its a right royal pain!

Come on Phase One - fix it please!

Peter
Peter Moloney
PM Photography
NN8876122

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:35 pm

To all who stumble across this thread, Phase One has added an option to the Metadata tool's context menu in CO7: Reset Metadata Completions.

Last edited by Paul_Steunebrink on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby matt mckee » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Reset but not turn off. Well, we got part way there!

Thanks for discovering this Paul.

M
matt mckee

Postby Maczero » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:18 pm

The reset option is helpful - and I have used it (I think pointed to it by one of IQ Professor's blog entries). However, it doesn't substitute for a better auto complete feature.

The real problem is the way that the autocomplete is implemented. In other programmes (including, from memory, MP), autocomplete offers suggestions which you are free to accept or disregard. In C1 the moment you do something that might possibly be construed as consent (hit the space bar, for example), it fills in its first suggestion without further ado. Thereby lies a world of metadata hurt.

C1 needs to be more like Jeeves, making a helpful suggestion, rather than the Great Dictator.
Maczero

Postby markmullen » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:11 pm

I end up resetting the metadata completions every time before I start keywording an image.
markmullen

Postby Simon Brown » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:55 am

I'm a switcher to C1 from Aperture; like all here I'm finding the metadata autocomplete a total pain. As I'm dyslexic it's a particular problem, auto complete is disabled on all my devices. I'm finding I need to use "reset metadata completions" several times during keywording. It's now part of my metadata workflow to reset as the first step for each file.

Tech support were very quick in responding and promise to pass on to development a feature request for a "stop blooming interfering" switch, I'm slightly ashamed to say I waved the dyslexia in their faces a little. In the meantime, keep hitting that reset switch chaps.

As a rider here though; as an image processor I'm really glad I switched. The tools feel like using a wet darkroom again, particularly the monochrome tab feels like using my cold cathode enlarger and split grade printing.
Simon Brown

Previous

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software