Ease in Moving Away from Media Pro?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Re: Ease in Moving Away from Media Pro?

Postby Jim MSP » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm

bnes wrote:
You say Media Pro has been abandoned. Has there been official confirmation of this?

It's apparent it's been abandoned by PhaseOne's actions. The question is will PhaseOne discontinue it?

It is hard to argue otherwise when "dot" releases take about a year.
Jim
Windows 10 Professional x64
i7 -8700 CPU @3.2GHz,
SSD , Physical Memory (RAM) 16.00 GB
CO 12 Pro, LR Classic
Jim MSP

Postby FredBGG » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:43 am

If an exit strategy is required don't adopt Media Pro.
It is a defunct Microsoft program that was sitting abandoned for quite a while before Phase One bought it.
It appears to be at least sidelined by Phase One at this time.

You are much better off adopting an industry standard application with a very wide install base such as Lightroom.

Lightroom is also more of a swiss army knife type of application so you will have far more flexibility in the long term.
FredBGG

Postby Jim MSP » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:02 pm

FredBGG wrote:....
It appears to be at least sidelined by Phase One at this time.

You are much better off adopting an industry standard application with a very wide install base such as Lightroom.

Lightroom is also more of a swiss army knife type of application so you will have far more flexibility in the long term.

I have developed what I call a "use what works" strategy and workflow.
I import, rename, cull, rate, and keyword using lightroom.
I then import the remaining into a small MP catalog (generally a current year). These small MP catalogs are very stable and fast.
With MP, I then open those files I want to process with Capture One in a session, which places them in a CO session album of "not in catalog set". I can rename this if I want.
One disadvantage is that the color labels don't translate between LR and MP.
The advantage is I don't have to have CO take the time to generate previews of the files I won't process.
Since I generally process these photos for work in PS, LR then can keep track of the CO conversions when I resync LR.
Jim
i7 -8700 CPU @3.2GHz,
CO 12 Pro, LR Classic
Jim MSP

Postby perkarlsson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:20 pm

It's apparent it's been abandoned by PhaseOne's actions.

bnes - could you elaborate on what you mean with that?

I am considering moving TO Media Pro - from Extensis Portfolio, that HAS been both abandoned and discontinued. Would rather not move to a DAM that will be in the same situation a year down the road...
Per Karlsson
BKWine Photography
http://www.bkwinephotography.com
(Win7, 64b)
perkarlsson

Postby rmoorlag » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Take 10 minutes to browse some topics on this forum and you will know enough.
MediaPro is abandoned and so you better look for something else.
I think only Lightroom is a serious alternative.
Roelof
Previously Expression Media v2 SP2 (2.0.2096.0) on Win7 SP1 64bit 16Gb. Nowadays Lightroom 6.x
Last post on this forum: 8 may 2015
http://www.digitaalfotobeheer.nl
rmoorlag

Postby HansDeZomers » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:10 am

rmoorlag wrote:I think only Lightroom is a serious alternative.

We're talking DAM here and of all the serious DAM products you name the least serious contender. Lightroom is a great "all in one" solution and I use it frequently as my editor of choice. But its DAM capabilities underperform when compared to the dedicated DAM solutions. I recommend LR only for novice DAM users or those who have very low DAM needs.
Another critical note for Lightroom is that its generally believed that they will move to a subscription model soon. And that is something that I personally don't want at all and so I've been investigating my options to drop LR as my editor and move to either DXO or CaptureOne to replace Lightroom.

The most serious dedicated DAM tools today are:
- Photo Supreme (Windows and Mac)
- Daminion (Windows only)
- iMatch (Windows only)
- ACDSee (Windows only; the Mac version is a weak extract of the Windows version; also ACDsee is moving more and more towards becoming a Lightroom clone)
HansDeZomers

Postby Jim MSP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:00 pm

HansDeZomers wrote:
rmoorlag wrote:I think only Lightroom is a serious alternative.

We're talking DAM here and of all the serious DAM products you name the least serious contender. Lightroom is a great "all in one" solution and I use it frequently as my editor of choice. But its DAM capabilities underperform when compared to the dedicated DAM solutions. I recommend LR only for novice DAM users or those who have very low DAM needs.
Another critical note for Lightroom is that its generally believed that they will move to a subscription model soon. And that is something that I personally don't want at all and so I've been investigating my options to drop LR as my editor and move to either DXO or CaptureOne to replace Lightroom.

The most serious dedicated DAM tools today are:
- Daminion (Windows only)
- iMatch (Windows only)
- ACDSee (Windows only; the Mac version is a weak extract of the Windows version; also ACDsee is moving more and more towards becoming a Lightroom clone)

I intend to take a hard look at the new imatch5 .
The key for me will be how well it integrates with CO sessions.
BTW, I do use LR for most of my photo DAM work - good, but not great.
Jim
i7 -8700 CPU @3.2GHz,
CO 12 Pro, LR Classic
Jim MSP

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:36 pm

HansDeZomers wrote:its generally believed that they will move to a subscription model soon.

No, it is not "generally believed" that Lr is going to a subscription pricing model - soon, or at any other time.

The only actual information that anyone has on this is that Adobe has explicitly stated that Lr will stay on a perpetual licence model "indefinitely".

"Indefinitely" can mean a lot of things, but it never, ever means "soon".

Anyone who says they know better is a liar.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby HansDeZomers » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:49 pm

Jim MSP wrote:I intend to take a hard look at the new imatch5 .

I tried iMatch5 when it first came out but gave up on it shortly after due to its (for me) impossible interface. Of course that's just a personal opinion.

No, it is not "generally believed" that Lr is going to a subscription pricing model - soon, or at any other time.

I didn't say that it is going to be subscription only; I said that it's "generally believed". I read on many forums and many with me believe that the next major LR update will be subscription only. The general opinion could be wrong of course.
I know the statement from the Lightroom product manager that you're referring to, but don't forget that that statement is now over a year old. And that's a long enough period for Adobe to have chosen a different direction. Look at what happened to PS.
But whichever Adobe decides, at least I'll be prepared. I already picked a successor for when they do and now I just wait patiently to see what the future brings.
HansDeZomers

Postby Jim MSP » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Jim MSP wrote:.....
I intend to take a hard look at the new imatch5 .

Well, I'm two days into my testing of iMatch5.
It appears to be a very good DAM - but I'm struggling with how to properly integrate it with CO (and Lightroom).

One of the primary uses of a DAM for me is to find a single photo (or a few photos) I have previously processed, and reprint or reprocess in some way. I can find the photo in iMatch quite well. But I'm almost stymied as to how to easily get the single photo into CO or a CO session.
I can get the whole folder reloaded into a session, but that for me defeats the purpose. Or I can get a copy of the raw into a new session folder, but then I have to start all over, and I now have a duplicate that I don't really want.

I can do this properly with MP.
Jim
i7 -8700 CPU @3.2GHz,
CO 12 Pro, LR Classic
Jim MSP

Postby syncrasy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:18 pm

HansDeZomers wrote:The most serious dedicated DAM tools today are:
[...]

Yesterday I spent some time testing Photo Supreme on a Mac. I tried it out with small number of images (I did not try to import an iView/EM/MP catalog). It has a lot going for it: it's feature rich and somewhat user friendly, and the developer is very responsive. And I was surprised to see that it displays edited NEF previews. On the other hand, it uses a very different organizational paradigm from iView/EM/MP, and the interface is a bit "clunky." I don't know if it's just my unfamiliarity with PS and greater comfort with iView/EM, but after an hour of testing PS, I realized just how well-designed iView is (was).

Even if I could adjust to Photo Supreme, it unfortunately lacks a Web gallery generator, which is a deal breaker for me. So I'm still staying with Expression Media for the foreseeable future.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby HansDeZomers » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:22 pm

When you switch software you shouldn't expect to find a clone in the other tool. Every tool works in its own ways, each with pros and cons. Of course your years of experience with iView makes you familiar with its operating and even it's quirks will have become part of your routines. You probably also realize that an hour is enough to just scratch the surface of a product. I came here to these forums because I was looking for an alternative for Lightroom editing, and if I'd spend an hour only on each alternative then I don't think I would've taken my quest seriously. Instead I used all the trial days I got to be able to get a honest impression of each product.

Unfortunately I can't suggest alternatives for web page generation as I stopped my own web hosting many years ago; too cumbersome. Maybe scripting in Photo Supreme can do it? These days I mostly use SmugMug and Flickr. SmugMug is a very professional photo service and while it does cost, you'll also save on your hosting package and the hassles of maintaining it. Smugmug offers public as well as private galleries and can be personalized so that you won't even know that it's a Smugmug site. You can also use your own domain name with your Smugmug pages.
HansDeZomers

Postby syncrasy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:34 pm

HansDeZomers wrote:When you switch software you shouldn't expect to find a clone in the other tool.

And I didn't expect to find a clone of iView in Photo Supreme. But when comparing DAM software it is reasonable to expect to find similar or analogous functionality, even if implemented differently.

Every tool works in its own ways, each with pros and cons. Of course your years of experience with iView makes you familiar with its operating and even it's quirks will have become part of your routines. You probably also realize that an hour is enough to just scratch the surface of a product.

I agree. I acknowledged the bias of prior experience in my original statement ("I don't know if it's just my unfamiliarity with PS and greater comfort with iView/EM . . .").

I came here to these forums because I was looking for an alternative for Lightroom editing, and if I'd spend an hour only on each alternative then I don't think I would've taken my quest seriously. Instead I used all the trial days I got to be able to get a honest impression of each product.

That's fantastic! Your approach is very thorough and will undoubtedly yield objective/scientific results. I made an instinctive judgment that Photo Supreme's "CATALOG | FOLDERS" tabs (requiring a third column for info) were not as usable as iView's "Info | Organize" tabs (with no need for a third column). In my assessment iView's implementation of key functions/features (e.g., view options, keywording) is more versatile and sophisticated. It's possible my judgment is wrong. It would be interesting to compare the two programs using professional usability testing methods.

Unfortunately I can't suggest alternatives for web page generation as I stopped my own web hosting many years ago; too cumbersome. Maybe scripting in Photo Supreme can do it? These days I mostly use SmugMug and Flickr. SmugMug is a very professional photo service and while it does cost, you'll also save on your hosting package and the hassles of maintaining it. Smugmug offers public as well as private galleries and can be personalized so that you won't even know that it's a Smugmug site. You can also use your own domain name with your Smugmug pages.

I understand how self-hosting can be cumbersome, but with iView's HTML templates I have a reasonably streamlined workflow. I've considered Smugmug, Zenfolio, etc., but the cost would actually double my expenses (I use my current self-hosting for several business ventures/domains, so I would still be paying for self hosting). Perhaps some day I will eliminate those other business ventures and eliminate my self-hosting, but not yet.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Previous

Return to Media Pro and Media Pro SE