"Unstacking" variants, cloning into own album

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

"Unstacking" variants, cloning into own album

Postby pvq » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:24 am

Hi,
is it possible to "unstack" variants? Or clone variants into a seperate album?

I would like to do a quite simple thing:
process a series of images in color AND b&w and have them in different albums.
I tried to clone the images, but I cannot move the variants seperately. Is there some way to do this?

I am coming from using Aperture where all this is not a problem and quite unintuitive. I read the manual, I used internet-search but could'nt find an answer. Quite remarkable nobody had this problem before – so what am I missing?

Thanks a lot,
Peter
pvq

Re: "Unstacking" variants, cloning into own album

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 pm

As far as I know there is one way to separate variants from each other in CO7. You can do this with Smart Albums.

For example, I have multiple variants from a single image capture. I give the variants different color tags.
Next, I make a smart album, one for each color tag I use. Each album will contain only the variant(s) with the corresponding color tag.
Last edited by Paul_Steunebrink on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby BLIDDLE » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Are you looking to have the unprocessed files (I'm going to go ahead and assume their raw files and call them CR2s) in two separate albums (so you have variants of each frame) or the processed files in separate folders?

If the former, let me expand Paul's suggestion:

take the set of raw files and set the label to green (or anything besides 'none')
select that set and make new variants on all of them; the new variants should have no color label
set a smart album for label Is Not green
You should have the set of the second-variants ready to set for black and white

If the latter, here's what I'd do:

Process out the set of photos to a specific subfolder in the output folder
After processing, select all and clear the process history/processed state (I forget the terminology in 7.2)
Copy to new variant one of the color ones (so that you don't reset any of the settings you may have made to the color ones)
Select all the photos besides that copied variant, change to the bxw settings you'd like, and reprocess those files to a different subfolder in the output folder
Copy the settings from that copied variant (cmd+shft+c) and paste them on your bxw images

So now you have two folders of the same images, one folder of color processed files and one of bxw, but still maintaining the settings for the colored version.
BLIDDLE

A way to clone a set of images?

Postby pvq » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi all,
thanks, but I still have that problem: I want to process a set of files as colour AND b&w.

As C1 knows no way to clone images into a "real" separate album (where adjustments are applied only on that particular set of images, not the original images in the other album) I would have used the above method: color coding one variant and selcingt it eg with smart folders. Then apply bw settings to one variant of each image.

Sounds simple enough, but doesn't work when cloning variants!!

When I select all the images and clone those variants ( F3 – as I want to keep things like cropping) the images are cloned, but deselected…
Now to color tag them I would have to select all X variants MANUALLY! That's insane!
Am I stupid or is there an easy intuitive workaround (I can't imagine, there isn't…)

Thanks for the help in advance,
Peter

(MacPro, OS X 7.5, C1 Pro 7.2.2)
Last edited by pvq on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvq

Postby pvq » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Why does the word "cloned" get censored??
pvq

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:07 pm

pvq wrote:Why does the word "cloned" get censored??

It doesn't... but the term X X X is the forums code to place *censored word*.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Ian3 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Could you do it with a copy of your original raw file? Say it's called P12345.NEF; create a copy called P12345 copy.NEF. Then copy all the adjustments from one of your variants of the first file to the second file, so you'd get the crop, exposure adjustments, colour adjustments and so on. The you could delete that variant of the first file.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software