Newbee: How can I delete a session?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Newbee: How can I delete a session?

Postby NN634887072506662323UL » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I found it possible to close Capture One and then delete the session folder from Windows. When I start Capture One again, the session is gone. But other programs give strange errors until I restore the whole image. I suspect that my deletion method can give a corrupted file system.

Is there a better way to delete a session?

Thanks

SorenK
NN634887072506662323UL

Re: Newbee: How can I delete a session?

Postby Drew » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Soren,
If you've deleted a session it's gone and all contents within. As such, if you intend to use the contents of the Session Folders in other programs, it's certainly not suggested to delete it :wink:
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NN634887072506662323UL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Does this mean that it is impossible to delete a session without messing the system up?

The reason that I have tried to delete a session is that I am planning a workflow that allows me to keep the software as much as possible separate from the data (image files) in order to have separate backup and restore procedures for software and data. This could be possible, I think, if I only have the sessions in process inside Capture One and when finished export as .eip files together with other relevant files. If at a later date I want to work with the pictures, I can just import the relevant .eip files.

But if it is impossible to delete a session, this workflow is impossible. Or maybe a less ideal solution would be to delete the images and empty the session trash, leaving an empty session?

SorenK
NN634887072506662323UL

Postby Drew » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:13 pm

I think there's just a basic misunderstanding of what a session is.
By default a session is built so that Capture One has a folder structure that it can use if you so choose.
If your files are elsewhere on your system it's not necessary to move them to the Capture Folder of the newly created Captuer One session, just browse the library tool and select the folder that contains the images. Edit them as you see fit and then Export/Process them to the desired destination as JPEG, TIFF, etc.
If you feel that somehow the Session file is a clutter I suppose you could delete it but why? Just keep it in it's present location for Capture One to reference, should you need it, and go about accessing, editing and processing images as you see fit.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Dinarius » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:31 pm

I manually removed the C1 Session files from the image folders on my drive that the Session related to.

However, I then found that I couldn't open C1. It looked for the last Session (the one and only one, whose files I had manually deleted)

So, I had to Restore the files from the Trash folder to be able to open C1 again.

I sincerely hope this is all my fault and stupidity and not a limitation of C1.

I want simple access to my files from C1 in a similar way to accessing Adobe Camera Raw via Bridge. You can use Bridge to begin editing the files - and nothing more.

Can C1 be used in as simple a way?

More importantly, can I control what stays in the Library? I hope so.

Thanks.

D.
Dinarius

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi Dinarius,

I suggest you take your time to look around in Capture One, look at some videos at Phase One YouTube channel. Once you will get a better understanding of some basic concepts you might feel more comfortable.

If I may give you a tip, stay with either sessions or catalogs for a while, instead of exploring both at the same time. This can be confusing and intimidating.

Hope this helps in enjoying Capture One.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software