New Phase in my career

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

New Phase in my career

Postby Mobyfoto » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 am

Hello,

I am new to Phase One's p45+ DB.
I have been a working professional for 25 years now.
I would like some information of the difference between the Mamiya 645 AFD II and the PhaseOne DF.
If this subject has been covered already please just direct me to the link to the topic.
Right now I am operating the back on a Cambo Ultima view camera.
Just a little background I did borrow a friend's 645 ASD II to test the back on the medium format body and most of the images were soft. I had the camera in auto focus because I was at his studio and didn't have much time to shoot tethered and really test the system. Is there an inherent focus issue using a p45+ on an AFD body. Would I get the same results with a PhaseOne or Mamiya DF?
Any help is appreciated!
ps. I shoot mainly commercial photography
Thanks!
Mobyfoto

Re: New Phase in my career

Postby Drew » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 am

There is quite a difference as the two cameras are a generation apart. For the sake of making the comparison easy I've included the manuals for both (see the manual for the Mamiya DF as appose to the Phase One DF for simplicity sake). The basic operation is the same. The main differences are found in ergonomics, new Custom Function options as well as some specific to digital backs (DF) and internal components being more robust/reliable than the previous generation.
I'd suggest you check the tech specs in the manual for both.

Mamiya AFD II;
http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/files/support ... al_Eng.pdf

Phase One DF;
http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/files/support ... NGver2.pdf

There is no focus issue for the P45+ on any compatible Mamiya system as long as it is within specification.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Mobyfoto » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Is the DF manual different? The manuals you linked me to are the AFD II & AFD III and both specifications pages are identical with the only exception being notes referring to custom functions settings on the AFD II. What is the difference between the two AFD models? The only difference I can see in the two bodies are the Mirror up button moved, the exposure metering mode selector lever and the Exposure compensation dial on the body of the eyepiece.
Can you send a link to the PhaseOne/Mamiya DF?

Thanks Again
Mobyfoto

Postby Drew » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 am

Sorry, must have provided the wrong link. It has been updated.

Again, the AFDII and DF are a whole generation gap apart so there are many differences when it comes to integration with digital backs and functionality are quite different. The basic operation stays the same, however.
Also, I previously forgot to mention that shooting with a Film back is not an option with the DF, it is Digital Only.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Digital Transitions, Doug » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

The feature set is only somewhat changed.

The overall speed of operation, ergonomics, responsiveness and especially autofocus speed and accuracy are a big change.

The DF+ likewise improves further on the autofocus speed/accuracy and introduces a focus calibration feature.

Drew is actually understating it -- there are TWO generations between the AFDII and DF body (there was an AFDIII in between). Get to a local dealer, give it a try. It will impress you.
Digital Transitions, Doug
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Mobyfoto » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 am

Here is a follow-up. I have used a friend's 645 AFDII. The lenses are sharp, I like the bright viewfinder, it makes it easier to focus. However the shutter latency is pretty bad. It is about half a second after I press the shutter before the strobes fire and it takes a shot. I press the shutter, hear a click, then the mirror go up, (maybe the click is the mirror?) then the shutter releases. Not too good when shooting people/models.
Is the lag inherent with using the p45+ backs? Is the DF faster?
I didn't see any reference to the shutter lag times for either camera system.

Thanks for any insights.
Mobyfoto

Postby Tolga » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I use the p45+ back on phaseone 645df, on the dijital back setting, capture settings> choose short latency. I m a fashion photographer, the back and the body is fast enough for fashion shoot.
IMO the only problem is AF on the camera, if the model is to small on your composition the AF can fail very easy. I always do tethered shooting and have one assistant just to check the focus on c1 software. And it is hard to manual focus.
It is more then one year I own the camera get 2 times problem. Once the aperture wheel break down during shooting the camera had to go to Denmark to service, and second happened 2 weeks ago I get a shutter error in the mid of shooting, had to continue with Canon the shooting it was really unlikable. The camera goes to service they downgrade the firmware now it works.
What can I say if you a fashion photographer I suggest to have second body always on reserve. The Phaseone or Mamiya body isn't like Canon, you can almost always trust to canon (working more then 7 year with all Canon 1ds series bodys, have more then 100,000 shoot each year) it ll never fail.
But I can't say the same for Phaseone or Mamiya camera from my and my friends experience you always have to be prepared that something can happen.
As I always say the world's best Dijitalback and best lenses on one of the worst body.
Sorry.
Tolga

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+