best triggers for high sync ?

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

best triggers for high sync ?

Postby poorkid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:39 am

this is my first post so - sorry if this was covered earlier ...

I ve been using the LS lenses (80mm & 55mm) on a DF camera and p40+ for a year now and havent been able to get a higher sync speed than 320.

Ive been using PW plus2s, multi maxs (which give me the highest sync), Broncolor (grafit, scorro) and Profoto (Acute, B2)

It seems that the mulit maxs do give me a slight edge but... what am I missing from the advertised 600+ speed sync on this set up?? anything higher than 320 is giving me a black curtain bar.

(average F8-11 in these situations, I guess the one thing I havent tried is an actual sync cord)

I just came off a shoot and tried some cheap no brand triggers with a scorro pack and didnt get anything higher than 125..

any suggestions or comments welcome!
poorkid

Re: best triggers for high sync ?

Postby Jon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 pm

If you are receiving a black bar and not just a darker image at at 1/320 then something is not right. Normally if you are not able to achieve the sync it is for two reasons:
[list=]-Flash duration is too slow so you dont use all the flash and thus get a darker image
-Radio sync takes too long to get to the pack and the delay of the flash causes a dark image or fully black image. you should still have even illumination even if it is too dark.[/list]

first thing to check is your firmware which should be at least 1.25.. however 1.55 is recommended.

I would recommend contacting your dealer so it can be investigated if there is a mechanical problem
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby Kagetsu » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 am

I'm not familiar with the settings on the DF (though I have one, it's been pretty much working as needed up until now), if you're getting a black bar, that would indicate the LS isn't being used, and the camera is going with the rear curtain (which is a. limited to sync of 1/125th I believe and b. is leaving a black edge of un-illuminated area from the image).

what it sounds like is the flash is firing, even though the shutter speeds set higher then its max sync for the rear curtain, and you may have an over-ride setting preventing the use of the LS. (on the DF, the body will say if it's in LS, and display it on the LCD on the top.
Kagetsu

Postby FredBGG » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:08 pm

Hot sure if this is the problem you are having, but check your custom settings.

C17 and C18 should both be set to 0 or 1.
If they are set to 2 the leaf shutter is disabled and the camera defaults to focal plane shutter.
FredBGG

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+