Capture One v7 output. PSD file size?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Capture One v7 output. PSD file size?

Postby ChrisM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I recently purchased a license for CO7, this latest release brought me back thanks mainly to the new processing engine.
I wasn't really pleased with the color output from DxO which I used for the past years, and had been watching out for a Capture One update with highlight reconstruction and more neutral shadow recovery without affecting the colors as v6 did.
Well, it's all there.
I don't think PSD support however, is what it should be.
File size is well above the size of a psd file created from a Tiff in photoshop itself.
I use a pentax k5 and file size should be around 65 mb, but a Capture one psd file is about 95 mb.
What's more striking though, is when you downsize to a 1400px jpeg/8 bit. The file size is then roughly 3x larger than a jpeg from the same photo but output as tiff in Capture one.
3,3 mb is rather large for an 8bit 1400 px jpeg, practically making use of the psd output option impossible.

Has anyone noticed this for different cameras: roughly 1,5 times the expected file size in PSD, roughly 3 times the expected file size in jpeg from a Capture one PSD?

Thanks
Chris
ChrisM

Re: Capture One v7 output. PSD file size?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:34 pm

I compared PSD to TIFF, for both 8 and 16 bit conversions. The file sizes were exact the same in an uncompressed state.

Regarding JPEGs, consider not including the preview.
Last edited by Paul_Steunebrink on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby ChrisM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks for taking the effort Paul_E,

I checked for file sizes, and yes, it's not the PSD format.
File size has gone up dramatically with CO7, so it seems.
Perhaps it is part of the new rendering engine.
Regarding Jpeg:
Output from Capture one 7 in either PSD or TIFF, and resized to jpeg in Photoshop after editing, results in a 2,5 times larger file size than the exact same image/procedure in CO6!!
That has no relation to including preview or not.
It's quite an impact to suddenly have 1400px 8bit Jpegs that weigh 3 mb instead of 1,2 mb!!
I will open a support case

Chris
ChrisM

Postby ChrisM » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:20 pm

See my own reply to my other post.
Not CO7 nor PSD format related

Chris
ChrisM

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software