USB shuttle device for fast color correction?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

USB shuttle device for fast color correction?

Postby polpo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:15 pm

hello everyone
as a "professional digital operator" i'd like to speed up my image correction with capture one pro by the help of an external device controlling some adjustments of capture one pro. has anyone ever worked with something like the USB interface ShuttlePro v2 in combination with Capture One Pro?

sometimes i'm scrolling through 10.000+ raws a day. the average image corrections i use the most are
- increase/decrease exposure
- increase/decrease saturation
- increase/decrease kelvin
- increase/decrease tint
- adjust input/output levels RGB, R, G, B
- adjust curves
- HDR

of course i work a lot with local/global copy and apply of adjustments, and styles, and customizing keyboard shortcuts. usually i can use the same style for dozens of pictures in a row
still i have to select the proper adjustment, fiddle with cursors, scroll wheel, mouse ...

i know this is quite nerdy, but i once saw an interface solution by a manufacturer of electronic equipment for professional photographic printing and was very impressed how fast he can adjust all important corrections by an external keyboard (somehow compareable to professional video color correction tools)

i would be very interested about your experience of handling big amounts of images for color correction...
thank you very much and greetings from cologne, germany
paul

Mac 10.6.8, Capture One Pro 6, ShuttlePro v2
polpo

Re: USB shuttle device for fast color correction?

Postby rap_digital » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 am

Wow that looks great seems to be pretty programable. Lets us know how you get on.
rap_digital

Postby danielschweinert » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:23 pm

That would be awesome. Also is it possible that Capture One is working with a Tangent Wave device anytime soon? Im already working with DaVinci Resolve.

http://www.tangentdevices.co.uk/products_wave.asp
danielschweinert

Postby Patrick Pike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:15 pm

That's a great idea to use the shuttle. I have one sitting around my office from video editing that I will program for C1.

Previously I've used a dedicated input device like your describing in Lightroom and I know I can edit much quicker with it. I'll let you know how this setup works.
Patrick Pike

Postby PeterDreuning » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanx.
Just ordered a Shuttle Xpress.
Try to do it with iPad and Keymote but wireless is to slow.
PeterDreuning

Postby polpo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 am

hello and thank you to everyone,
danielschweinert - thanks for the info about your tools!
last days i spend some time with the shuttle pro v2 on correcting some +20k pictures
i use the main jog wheel now for adjusting the exposure - thats cool now (50% of my work way easier)
unfortunately i couldn't find out how to program the jog wheel to switch in different modes (to control not only exposure, but kelvin, saturation... too with the wheel). i'd like to use a wheel for all other corrections mentioned above as well. the best of course would be having six different independent jog wheels. tangent wave or even davinci resolve seem to be THE solution.
as on the shuttle there's only one wheel available i use all the buttons aside as shortcut keys (eg one click instead of ctrl-alt-cmd-minus for decreasing contrast).
the buttons of the shuttle pro feel quite hard to click when you're working on it the whole day
the speed of the interface is ok, but you get a slight delay until the software reacts. might be a problem of the two years old mac pro/system/software as well.
the device is easy to program but quite limited for my use with c1. for different use with final cut it will be worth the buy.

i post later again when done some more work on it
cheers paul
polpo

Postby Patrick Pike » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Paul there does seem to be a work around for using the one jog wheel to make multiple adjustments. Simply use some of the Shuttle keys as modifiers. Of course to do this, you will need to change the shortcuts in C1, but it can be done and it works.

For example, in C1 set Increase Exposure to "n" and Decrease Exposure to "b" and assign those two letters to the jog wheel. Then setup one of the buttons on the Shuttle to be the option key modifier. Then in C1, set (for example) Increase Contrast to be "option + n" and Decrease Contrast to be "option + b". This way you can continue to use various modifiers to adjust your settings with one jog wheel.
Patrick Pike

Postby polpo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 am

dear NNN634661434622991223
thank you very much for this hint. this makes it way easier now!
i didn't have the time yet to read the manual properly. well, you helped me a lot
ergonomic details (left hand): as you have to keep the modifier button being pushed, i assigned the bigger buttons 11, 13, 15 for use with my thumb so that i still can turn the wheel with my index/middle finger
now testing the new setup.
cheers paul
polpo

Postby polpo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 am

good side-effect:
corrections i do on the jog wheel immediately affect all selected pictures in an overall way. when i make corrections in a second round like 0.1 f-stop up the next day, the correction will be added on all already done corrections. (an image that already had an earlier correction of 0.2 up now gets a 0.3 after the jog correction. without jog - if i'd use shift cmd c - shift cmd v instead the old settings would get lost and as a result it got only plus 0.1, as all the other selected pictures too)
this is very useful to me, when after a long night of corrections i realize that all the pictures are ok color-wise, but not in terms of light exposure. like this i easily can mark all images in a folder and increase exposure for all of them, like a master correction/main output on a dj mixer... can you follow?

this is cool too when you make first corrections on a laptop monitor on set, picture by picture. i use the jog wheel on a calibrated monitor afterwards. usually i then add some overall corrections (correcting wrong exposure/color settings as a result of "bad" laptop monitor) without losing the detailed work i already did a day before on different images in a folder...

of course, as the jog uses keyboard short cuts you can get the same results via key strokes, but this is way easier to handle

by the way, with different settings we use the jog on set for the client to browse through the shooting and mark images, nothing more
(there's no "delete image"-key on the jog..)
polpo

Postby rap_digital » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 am

Hey Paul
I must be doing something weird any chance you can send me your suttle set up and keyboard short cuts?
I cant get it to work.
rap_digital

Postby polpo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Hey Rick
Just sent you an email with my settings
In the Contour Shuttle application, under "Application Setting" you have to create new settings and locate the target application (Capture One Pro).
After this while working with C1Pro, the shuttle symbol in the menu bar automatically should change to Capture One settings then.
In case you want to change the shuttle settings again, the Contour Shuttle app always jumps back to "Global Settings", so you have to choose "Capture One Pro" again before assigning new keyboard shortcuts
good luck!
Paul
polpo

Postby ClaraBravo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:04 am

Sorry i don't know how to post a question, I have Capture one 6.3.2 and i bought the new camera Nikon D600. I can't see the RAW (NEF) pictures!!!!! Does this program don't support this camera? If any one in this forum know please let me know.
thanks Clara, my e mail is clara_isaza@hotmail.com :) I have a lot of pictures of my last trip to India, Nepal and Buthan and i can't see them!!!!!!
ClaraBravo

Postby NN634867844015457996UL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 pm

polpo wrote:hello everyone
as a "professional digital operator" i'd like to speed up my image correction with capture one pro by the help of an external device controlling some adjustments of capture one pro. has anyone ever worked with something like the USB interface ShuttlePro v2 in combination with Capture One Pro?

sometimes i'm scrolling through 10.000+ raws a day. the average image corrections i use the most are
- increase/decrease exposure
- increase/decrease saturation
- increase/decrease kelvin
- increase/decrease tint
- adjust input/output levels RGB, R, G, B
- adjust curves
- HDR

of course i work a lot with local/global copy and apply of adjustments, and styles, and customizing keyboard shortcuts. usually i can use the same style for dozens of pictures in a row
still i have to select the proper adjustment, fiddle with cursors, scroll wheel, mouse ...

i know this is quite nerdy, but i once saw an interface solution by a manufacturer of electronic equipment for professional photographic printing and was very impressed how fast he can adjust all important corrections by an external keyboard (somehow compareable to professional video color correction tools)

i would be very interested about your experience of handling big amounts of images for color correction...
thank you very much and greetings from cologne, germany
paul

Mac 10.6.8, Capture One Pro 6, ShuttlePro v2

Hi Paul - Could I request a copy of the setting as well please? If yes thank you in advance. Paul
NN634867844015457996UL

Postby polpo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Hey there - sorry didn't check the forum for a while
yes sure - please drop me a note ppp # paulschoepfer.de, the zipped settings just need your address...
paul
polpo

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software