CO 7

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Re: CO 7

Postby Gromit44 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Drew wrote:
Gromit44 wrote:Since this was only seven days before your 26th Sept free upgrade cutoff date, can I have v7 without paying the fee?

Please direct any sales related questions to the link below;
http://www.anp.se//content.asp?account= ... A5F417740&

Requests such as this will be handled on a Case by Case basis.

Ok Drew, will do - many thanks.

Apologies for hijacking this thread!
Gromit44

Postby tgphoto » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Drew wrote:
tgphoto wrote:And now I know why Phase One has been so aggressive in their Capture One 6 pricing. I "just" bought C1 6 Pro on October 2 of this year. I'm guessing Phase One doesn't offer a similar upgrade policy to Apple?

You should have a Free Upgrade in your Key if you purchased it that recently. :wink:

Thanks Drew!
tgphoto

Postby tgphoto » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 pm

tgphoto wrote:
Drew wrote:
tgphoto wrote:And now I know why Phase One has been so aggressive in their Capture One 6 pricing. I "just" bought C1 6 Pro on October 2 of this year. I'm guessing Phase One doesn't offer a similar upgrade policy to Apple?

You should have a Free Upgrade in your Key if you purchased it that recently. :wink:

Thanks Drew!

Doesn't look like I get a free upgrade :( The above referenced forum post states purchases made after Sept 26th qualify but when I go to Help > License Information in C1 it says no free upgrades. Bummer! I put an email in to support via the link you provided. See what they say.
tgphoto

Postby Drew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:33 pm

tgphoto wrote:Bummer! I put an email in to support via the link you provided. See what they say.

If it was purchased the 26th of September or sooner, we'll get you sorted out with an upgrade.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN634320717969338257 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Sascha,

Thanks for your answer. The approach and DAM-like functions imbedded in CO7 that you described sounds to make sense. A new product should not cannibalize existing products. My question raised from the incredibility that MP today has in my eyes and I really wish to have something more reliable and stable instead.

I may just try CO7 to see if tits DAM-features are enough for me.

B.r: Mark
NNN634320717969338257

Postby HKGuns » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 pm

I just downloaded and purchased an upgrade. I can't even get the software to start so I can enter my license number. I have a support case open, but I can't even get it to start up properly. :(

Edit: I closed my case on this issue. I found an updated GeForce driver that resolved my issue. (I suspected it was a display driver issue based on what was in the text of the crash file.)

So, if you're having issues with this release I highly recommend you search for updated display drivers.
HKGuns

Postby Digital Transitions, Doug » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:31 pm

nggalai wrote:I’m still playing around with the DAM features / Catalog Mode. First impression is “Lightroom light” with certain nods to MediaPro (e.g. the bubbles to select standard filters). I probably should explain the Lightroom thing.

Basically, it makes it easy to tag keywords, and last imports / captures, Smart Collections etc. are reminiscent of how Lightroom works. Also, there’s an option to check catalog integrity, make catalog backups etc. Sensible stuff. It’s not the Lightroom bloat or usability (or lack thereof), rather the better bits of LR1.x rolled into CaptureOne. It’s not Lightroom and hopefully will never be, but it’s possible that for many this level of “DAM” functionality is enough.

I don’t think the Catalog will try to replace MediaPro. There’s too much missing, e.g. no controlled vocabulary, no XML thingies, and the only output options seem to be process recipes, print, and web contact sheet. Also, question is how spiffy it runs with some 10.000 images. I only tried with a couple of hundred and it worked well enough, but some of us have hundreds of thousands of images in need of a DAM.

I don't think "Lightroom light" is accurate in regards to the Cataloging. There are definitely some DAM/Cataloging features that LR4 has or that Media Pro has that C1v7.0 does not. But there are also some hugely useful DAM features that C1v7.0 has that nobody else has. Some of these are not immediately apparent so I can definitely understand if you missed them at first glance:
- like in LR, Aperture, MP or any other DAM you can have an "offline" file (e.g. a raw file on an external hard drive which is not currently plugged in). But unlike any other DAM I'm aware of you can ADJUST the offline file (for instance changing the contrast, exposure, white balance, crop etc). This is because Capture One uses a very sophisticated dynamic proxy as it's cache/preview-file rather than a flat more-or-less-a-JPG kind of preview as in LightRoom.
- like in LR, Aperture, MP or any other DAM you can create more than one catalog. But unlike LR/Aperture you can open a new catalog without restarting the software, and can open more than one catalog at a time. If you're a media manager at a company for instance you might maintain one catalog which is accessible only to your internal department (the "master" catalog), and another which is accessible by a wider group of users like partner ad agencies (the "shared" catalog). In LR this is not an easy workflow since you have to restart the software between using the "master" and "shared" catalog and can't have both open at the same time.
- in C1v7.0 you can access the catalog across a network, with intelligent real-time lockouts (so that only one person can be making changes at a time), including the ability to "lock" the catalog such that more than one viewer can access it at once (but no one can make changes). This will be huge in multi-user environments and even for some single-user environments where multiple computers.
- in C1v7.0 you can use Capture Pilot and Capture Pilot Web to solicit direct feedback from outside entities which will feed directly back into the catalog. This includes the ability to share 100% res files without having to send the entire 100% res file (since the software sends just the part of the image being requested by the user, so when they zoom into the image that area is sent). For fast and easy remote approval or feedback on a job this is a big deal, and will be a huge tool for Media Managers and DAM in general.
- the filters (basically the same as in MP - they were awesome there, so why change anything) are super fast, very flexible, and able to be selected in any arbitrary combinations MUCH more quickly than any other DAM I know other than MP (e.g. all green tagged 5 star images from 2010 shot with a long lens)

Moreover this is the first version in which DAM has been incorporated in a serious way into Capture One. I'm sure they haven't had a meeting where they've said "OK now we have some DAM tools, that's good enough let's never work on DAM again". I'm sure you'll see continued addition and refinement of DAM tools. So if there are specific workflows, tools, or concepts you think work well in LR's DAM system or in MP that you'd like to see incorporated in C1 then by all means please send in feature requests; I think you'll be surprised how responsive the development team is to outside feedback - this is not a gigantic monolithic corporation, they are an agile passionate and responsive team; most of the features in v7 have been the result of direct result of user requests (I know because I put many of those feature requests in for myself or on behalf of Digital Transitions customers).
Digital Transitions, Doug
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Sheldon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 pm

I think that 99.00 is a reasonable price for an upgrade but I still have a couple of activations left on my profile for version 6.x. Am I to assume that these simply become worthless at this point then unless of course I wish to use it. From what I understand from previous upgrades once you use the V6 serial number for an upgrade you can't use it on another PC, in other words, those activations are useless or at least that is the way I have it figured.
Sheldon

Postby Gromit44 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Gromit44 wrote:
Drew wrote:
Gromit44 wrote:Since this was only seven days before your 26th Sept free upgrade cutoff date, can I have v7 without paying the fee?

Please direct any sales related questions to the link below;
http://www.anp.se//content.asp?account= ... A5F417740&

Requests such as this will be handled on a Case by Case basis.

Hi again Drew,

As you suggested, I sent a message to sales last Thursday (25th) using the link above. Unfortunately they haven't replied. Is there anything else I can to do to get a response from them?
Gromit44

Postby NNN634242318823704909 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:53 pm

I see that CO7 loads the system in 2-3 times higher than CO6...But the time of development of RAW to JPEG is almost the same. :roll: It means that if anybody want to work comfortable - need to upgrade the hardware... :(
NNN634242318823704909

Previous

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software