Orientation

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Orientation

Postby NN634781443501963876UL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 pm

I want to be able to shoot my photos and have them rotate left automatically. How do I do this?

If I use the Camera>Orientation feature, that should allow all my photos to automatically rotate left or right, correct?
Currently, the five options listed under Orientation are not highlighted and I cannot use them (they appear grey).
If Camera>Orientation is how you get automatic rotation, how do I get it to be highlighted so I can actually use the feature?

Thanks!
NN634781443501963876UL

Re: Orientation

Postby Drew » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 am

It's a bit cumbersome but works just fine.

1. Turn OFF Auto Rotate in your camera.
    2. Connect to Capture One and take an image
    3. Rotate 90° Left or 90° Right to fit your need
    4. Copy that adjustment (Orientation) to the Clipboard and Save as a Style.
    5. Apply that Style to your Image and ensure "Include Style Layers" is selected
    6. With your "Next Capture Adjustment" set to "Copy from Last" all incoming images will rotate according to your Style.

Step 1.

Step 2.

Step 3.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Jamie111 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:22 am

Drew,

I still don't understand this implementation. There must be an easier way to rotate files. So many things have improved in the newer versions of C1, but sadly image orientation was much easier in ver. 3.XX
Jamie111

Postby Drew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03 am

Jamie111 wrote:I still don't understand this implementation. There must be an easier way to rotate files...

What is it about the workflow above that is unclear? Let me know and I will try to explain it further.
Unfortunately due to the way our software reads orientation information and the way it is written within DSLR files, this is the easiest solution.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Jamie111 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 am

Drew,

What's unclear is why I can't have a simple check box or control dialog to deal with this. Having to create a rotation recipe is cumbersome at best. Perhaps the most troubling part of it is that I need to do it infrequently, but usually when I'm already dealing with several other issues. About 1/2 the time it won't apply properly, or I can't get it to apply to subsequent images. It's a frustrating way to deal with what seems like an amazingly simple problem.

The 3.xx implementation was right to the point. Simply select the rotation you want, and go. It wasn't buried under layers of stuff. I didn't need to perform several steps. When I needed to force a series of images to landscape or portrait, it was click and go.
Jamie111

Postby Drew » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 am

Jamie111 wrote:Drew,

What's unclear is why I can't have a simple check box or control dialog to deal with this... About 1/2 the time it won't apply properly...seems like an amazingly simple problem.

The 3.xx implementation was right to the point...

In order to do what you are asking we would have to change some very deep architecture in the software but more importantly than that, we would need more access to specifics of the Canon (or Nikon) software/hardware which we simply don't have.

Capture One 3 was simple but incredibly limited. Unfortunately this workaround, which works well, is a necessary tradeoff for the progress of Capture One 6 and it's features.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Jamie111 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Drew,

Given that you're locked into orientation being dealt with as a style, would it be possible to to have built in orientation styles?

I've noticed what seems like inconstancy in the way styles are inherited from previous frames. Generally speaking, I leave my "Next Capture Adjustments" set to "Copy from Last." This works great almost all of the time. My most recent attempt at using an orientation style forced me to "Defaults w/ Style." Am I missing something that would have the style copy along with any other changes I made to the previous image?
Jamie111

Postby Drew » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 am

Jamie111 wrote:...I leave my "Next Capture Adjustments" set to "Copy from Last." This works great almost all of the time. My most recent attempt at using an orientation style forced me to "Defaults w/ Style." Am I missing something that would have the style copy along with any other changes I made to the previous image?

Again, check the workflow I outlined above. At no time do you need to use "Defaults w/ Style..." if the above instructions are followed as outlined. Using "Defaults w/ Style..." works but is unnecessary and does not allow you to "Copy from Last".
I am sure we could include Orientation Styles in the software but they wouldn't work if someone leaves "Auto Rotation" on in the camera so for the uninitiated it would be more of a headache than a shortcut.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Jamie111 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:22 pm

A quick test reveals that this works as advised. While built in styles could be a headache, the whole process is kind of a headache anyway. Honestly, this is a lot of steps to perform a simple and kind of important action. I realize that you're married to it currently, but it seems like something worth updating in future releases. Perhaps it could be as simple as allowing rotation/orientation to be copied from last, rather than adding the additional step of creating and applying a style?
Jamie111

Postby Drew » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 am

Jamie111 wrote:A quick test reveals that this works as advised. ...Perhaps it could be as simple as allowing rotation/orientation to be copied from last, rather than adding the additional step of creating and applying a style?

Perhaps, and this has certainly been discussed. We'll continue to look into it and can hopefully improve it in the future but for the time being, this workaround works without incident and minimal setup.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Jamie111 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Drew,

I wish that were really the case. Sure, I can get this to work while testing. I can also get it to work when things are moving slowly. Where it's a problem is on a real shoot. That's where I don't have the time to build more styles, or trouble shoot the ones I have now.

As usual, I needed to rotate images on the last set up of a shoot at the end of a 12 hour day. The camera was mounted overhead about 12' from the floor. In my rush to get through all the other steps to make this set up work, I failed to turn off auto rotate. The result was images appearing up side down on my monitor. My hurried attempt to make a style that would compensate was totally ineffective. I could copy and paste from a properly orientated image, but that meant I would need to do this as I shot, or as a group later. Frankly, being able to "copy from last" on my orientation would have been the simple solution.

My point is this. Shoots are often complicated. They're about constant problem solving, under crazy time frames with lots of distractions. I'd really like my software to be part of the solution, rather than adding to the problems.
Jamie111

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Jamie111 wrote:... I failed to turn off auto rotate.

Regardless of what we implement in the software, provide as a preset style or change in terms of "Copy from Last", as we DO NOT have direct access to DSLR cameras we could never override the Auto Rotate. This would require us to have have additional Firmware information from the manufacture, which as you can imagine is not provided to us.
I realize it's an extra step that you would rather not have to take but it is an absolute necessity and failing to turn it off will always result in a headache.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Bryan6 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Drew. I can't get this crop fix to work in CO 7. Checked and double checked.

(Also seems to be a crop bug; a thin crop seems to appear by default. 5dMKII...)
Bryan6

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Bryan6 wrote:...
(Also seems to be a crop bug; a thin crop seems to appear by default. 5dMKII...)

That is the lens correction's feature of 'hide distorted areas'.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software