Continued lock up problems

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Continued lock up problems

Postby joshshinner » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:43 am

Just wondering how many other people were experiencing lock up problems?

Locking up being where you press to release the shutter and the camera just freezes and locks up, and in order to get going again you have to either switch it off and on again, or remove the battery and drain power completely. It's annoying in a normal shoot, however if you have the camera locked off (ie for car photography) and you have to get the battery out, it is a complete nightmare. Especially seeing as the battery release on the V Grip is terrible and doesn't pop the battery out, so you either have to use a magnet to get it out, or tip the camera!

This happens mainly in mirror up mode, however it does also happen on single and continuous modes. We've been telling Phase about this for almost 2 years and they still haven't solved it with new firmware.

firmware on camera is 1.25 and we're using an IQ180.
joshshinner

Re: Continued lock up problems

Postby Drew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23 am

Josh,
The issue you have reported (in both this thread and the other) were addressed with the 1.25 Firmware.
As outlined in the 1.25 release notes;

"2. The Phase One 645DF would at very rare occasions freeze on f/1 (removing the lens
    and putting it back on would correct the issue)"

I can see that you have created a support case and are working, quite thoroughly, with one of the supporters in the US office. They'll be sure to take a look at your specific concerns and get you taken care of.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby joshshinner » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi Drew,

Actually, the 1.25 firmware didn't fix either of these issues, as I said in my case report. So are these issues going to be addressed in the next firmware update? And if so when can we expect this?

Thanks,
Josh
joshshinner

Postby Drew » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Josh,
The firmware 1.25 was designed to resolve these issues, so the issue may be specific to your systems.
Please follow up with the support case and the US Supporter so they can take a closer look at your system and take the appropriate action. Maybe it is something as simple as an improperly update firmware in the camera, the tech will know the best course of action.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Bill9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:42 am

I had the same problem but FW 1.25 cured it.
Bill
Bill9

Postby AnGy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Same problem here.
645 DF was used with a P40+ and now with an IQ180 and locks up sometimes one time over 10 actuations sometimes over 3 or 5 actuations. Update of firmware to version 1.2.5 did not change anything :evil:
AnGy

Postby Drew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Angy,
I have not found any history of contact with Phase One concerning your issue. As 1.25 addressed this issue perhaps it would be best to contact your dealer to determine if perhaps there is a different issue occurring.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby joshshinner » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:47 am

Hey Drew,

So still no firmware or any sight of anything to fix the immensely irritating lock up problems.... It has been over 2 years and it is mind blowing that Phase have not addressed this issue. And please don't say we haven't said anything about it, Phase were first made aware of our issues regarding this well over 18 months ago and we have been promised a fix with every new firmware, yet alas no fix. The cameras have also been back for repair in that time.

Please tell me when this is going to be sorted?

Not impressed. Still.
joshshinner

Postby Drew » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm

joshshinner wrote:Hey Drew,

So still no firmware or any sight of anything to fix the immensely irritating lock up problems...
Please tell me when this is going to be sorted?
Not impressed. Still.

Josh,
I am sorry if you are still having issues.
As has been stated, the 1.25 firmware addressed the issue you seem to be describing (also confirmed by another user on this thread). It seems you created a support case as per my suggestion back in January and after discussing the matter further with a supporter it was suggested your camera bodies be brought in for a service check while still under warranty. Looking up the serial numbers it seems that the units never came in.
Again, I am sorry that you are still not pleased with the situation but from what I can tell the support department has done all it can to try and understand/solve the situation for you.
The offer that was provided from the support case in January, to have the units in for review at no cost, still stands even though your warranty has now expired. If you're having these issues, simply contact your dealer and we can get the units in for review.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby joshshinner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am

When we're shooting back to back it's extremely hard to get both units back to Phase for a service. I'm still waiting to hear back from D Tek whether they can send replacement DF bodies to us next week for us to shoot on whilst ours are repaired...

And for the record, irrespective of when you can find support cases dating back from, this issue is something that Phase One have been aware of since early 2010, through communication with D Tek. So even if 1.25 did fix it for some customers it's still a terribly slow response.
joshshinner

Postby joshshinner » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 am

joshshinner wrote:And for the record, irrespective of when you can find support cases dating back from, this issue is something that Phase One have been aware of since early 2010, through communication with D Tek. So even if 1.25 did fix it for some customers it's still a terribly slow response.

Would love to hear what you think of this Phase?
joshshinner

Postby John232 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:17 am

My Phase One DF locks up randomly as well. The camera focuses and functions fine, but pressing the shutter button does nothing. Usually it does this for a just a frame or two about every 25-50 shots. I thought the issue might be a specific lens, but it does it with all my lenses ("D" versions, LS versions and 645 manual lenses). So I am ruling out lenses as the culprit. About 2 weeks ago the camera just refused to shoot and the batteries had to come out of the camera and back. That has never happened before.

I think the issue might be the automatic switching between LS and FP, or something to do when the camera and/or back to come out of their power save modes, or it might be the orientation sensor - the problem seems to happen more frequently when shooting upwards (such as shooting a skyline or tree canopy immediately above me). Right now there are too many variables and the problem is too random for me to lay out a specific cause-effect sequence. The DF has firmware 1.25 and the P65+ has firmware 5.2.2. The most worrisome part is a random centerfold issue with the P65. I am pretty sure the shot (file) following lock-up has centerfold.

I've reach out to my Phase dealer, hopefully he'll have some helpful feedback. My gut feeling is that there is something amuck with the DF body.
John232

Postby Drew » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 am

John232 wrote:My Phase One DF locks up randomly as well. The camera focuses and functions fine, but pressing the shutter button does nothing... The most worrisome part is a random centerfold issue with the P65. I am pretty sure the shot (file) following lock-up has centerfold.

I've reach out to my Phase dealer, hopefully he'll have some helpful feedback. My gut feeling is that there is something amuck with the DF body.

John,
I would suggest you send the support team a RAW file and work with them to troubleshoot the camera functionality, from the description it simply sounds like a full buffer (happening after 25-50 shots?) and not the same as what Josh has described in this thread but the support team can help narrow down possible culprits as well as look into any image quality concerns you have.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Drew » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 am

joshshinner wrote:Would love to hear what you think of this Phase?

Josh,
I can't speak for the dates you've listed or the time frame that an issue was identified vs when it was fixed. Rest assured issues are always addressed as soon as possible and I apologize if that time frame does not meet your workflow needs. Again, I would suggest you get your systems in for review as it does sound as if something else is occurring with your systems.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby joshshinner » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:01 am

John232 wrote:Right now there are too many variables and the problem is too random for me to lay out a specific cause-effect sequence.

I must say John, this is the most to the point and accurate review of the phase one camera, and it's exactly what I say to anyone asking me about it. And I completely feel your frustration... when something goes wrong, to start with it could be one of a dozen things, which when working under time pressure is beyond irritating. Hope you get your problem fixed....
joshshinner

Next

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+