C.O. 3 Pro compatibility issue with Snow Leopard

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

C.O. 3 Pro compatibility issue with Snow Leopard

Postby D Rapp » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I need help with a work around solution for my Capture One Pro 3 version which is incompatibile with Snow Leopard. I have had Capture One Pro 3 for years and love it just the way it is. However I get the neon images after installing Snow Leopard. I have researched the issue here but can't seem to get anywhere. What are my options? I would prefer to keep version 3. Thanks!!
D Rapp

Re: C.O. Pro compatibility issue with Snow Leopard

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:55 pm

As far as I know, there are two options. You either stick with CO3 and forget Snow Leopard: Leopard is your last station. Or you go Snow Leopard and forget about CO3 and upgrade to CO6. But you can't have both.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby D Rapp » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think what I may do is put Tiger Mac OS on a partitioned 2nd hard drive and use CO Pro 3 on that. I have to think about it though. Still undecided. Tell you, though, I have had other problems with Snow Leopard and for all it's great reviews I had fewer problems with Tiger.

WHY can't Phase One come up with a fix?
D Rapp

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:24 pm

D Rapp wrote:WHY can't Phase One come up with a fix?

They did, it's called CO6 (well, CO5 actually). No serious, application developers must follow operating system developments. And CO3 is history. Because you have a CO3Pro license, you are probably entitled to upgrade to CO5 for free, which gives you Snow Leopard compatibility anyway. The fix is yours to make. Good luck.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ralph » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:45 am

Because of certain major reservations with CO Pro v.4, I stuck with version 3 for a long time, particularly as a viewing environment. Since version 5, I have been very satisfied with CO Pro, and this satisfaction has continued with the present iteration (v6). The conversion quality is excellent (there was already a significant step up in the previous releases), the working environment has improved significantly since version 3, among other aspects in the quality of the previews, and while certain of the new tools available are not up to comparable features in Camera Raw, they are very useful, imo. And then again, other features obtain only in CO Pro.
As Paul has wisely advised, you may find your answer in CO Pro v6, and as he has indicated, you may be entitled to a free upgrade.
I personally do not think that you will be disappointed.
Ralph

Postby Nicolas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:51 am

Fully agree with Ralph and not to forget that Mac OS X Lion is on the way …
Nicolas

Re: C.O. 3 Pro compatibility issue with Snow Leopard

Postby Ronny 1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:51 pm

One thing you can try is to uninstall and re-install V3. That seems to have solved the cray magenta cast issue (at least for now). But yes, Phase One support told me that Snow LEopard and V3 are incompatible, and as I've been told many times before, they are no longer supporting V3.
I just posted the following rant as it's own topic, b/c it encompasses more than just the V3/Snow Leopard issue, but I think it's appropriate for this thread as well, so I'm posting here. I'm hoping a Phase One rep/moderator will see it and maybe put it in front of someone who understands something about retaining a customer base. So here it is...

I'm at my breaking point with Phase One. As a relatively early adopter and heavy user of Capture One software, I continue to be frustrated and angered with how Phase One abandoned Ver 3 and it's users, allowing no migration into future versions (4,5,6). I have many, many Capture One 3 sessions with SEVERAL HUNDRED man-hours invested in editing, including rating, color balancing, levels and exposure adjustments,etc made to upwards of 30,000 images, and now they are stranded there. I had resigned myself to accepting the fact that I must forever keep Version 3 on my computer in order to work with these images. Not ideal, but I could deal with it. Recently, however, I had a problem with a couple of bugs/glitches in C1Pro 3 (including images processing with extreme magenta cast), and when I contacted support, they informed me that "Capture One 3 is not compatible with Mac OS 10.6". WHAT??? Now I cannot continue to use Ver 3 unless I also keep an old Mac OS on my machine??? Do you understand how frustrating this is and how you have screwed your early users of 3.x? The fact that I continue to hear answers like "stop using 3 and use 5 or 6" only compounds my frustration/anger and makes me want to leave PhaseOne for Lightroom. Adobe understands backward compatibility. I really hope that your team can, at the very least, figure out a way to make 3.x work with current and future Mac OS. It's bad enough that you left your most dedicated and heavy users of Version 3 stranded with no way to continue working with those files that have so much time invested in them. I hope that this message reaches some higher authority at Phase One, because so far my cries for help have been ignored. I do intend to seek that person out if I don't hear back. I would also be interested to hear from other users to find out how they are coping with this, and if they have any solutions. I would also like some type of assurance from Phase One that current versions of your software will not be abandoned like V3 and unable to migrate to future versions. Without that assurance, I will discontinue use immediately and move to Lightroom. Phase One response kindly requested.

PS - To be perfectly clear, I am also a user of C1Pro 6 and keep up-to-date on all updates.

Ronny Knight
http://www.ronnyknight.com
Ronny 1

Return to Capture One 3.x Software