connection fail

Discussion about Leaf Capture and Leaf Remote application

connection fail

Postby OURSTUDIO » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi,

Connection fail and just shoot down helps to reestablish the connection :(

Leaf AFi 7 and the LC 12.3.6

Is there a possible that this bug is fixed in the newer version?

Best
Daniel
OURSTUDIO

Re: connection fail

Postby Drew » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Daniel,
Not too many details to go on there, however the version you mentioned doesn't exist.
http://www.leaf-photography.com/downloads.asp

Please update to the latest available version for your system
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby OURSTUDIO » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

sorry, Leaf Capture 11.3.6

The problem happen always when I start setup the camera and start shoot. In the beginning it make the connection, but later show's me connection fail again and again. I just can shoot down the hole computer and have to restart.

The hole thing start after I upgrade to the newest firmware and and the LC 11.3.6

I will try use the latest software.... hope it work better.
OURSTUDIO

Postby OURSTUDIO » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 am

The newest soft wear don't solve the problem either...

It happen continuously that in the middle of the shooting out of no were the connection to the computer fail. New fire wire, other computer don't help. Even the back run with out camera and batterie (power from the USB wire), it show me "connection" fail. But I'm still not sure if it's the fire wire's (USB 800) problem or not. Is there any one with the same problem?

Some times all works, but then nothing works. Restart the camera and program, then works again, but after some time again shoot down.....
OURSTUDIO

Postby yaya » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:23 pm

We will need more information with regards to the computer type/ OS etc. and also the power settings on the camera (you can set the back to use the power from the grip and not from the Mac)

I suggest that you open a support case on our support page or have your dealer do it for you

Yair
--
Yair Shahar | Product Manager - Cultural Heritage |Phase One
e: ysh@phaseone.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 |
yaya
Crew
Crew

Postby OURSTUDIO » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:45 am

Thank you Yair,

I guess I figure out the problem. It seems the fire wire (USB 800/800) connection to the computer. If the wire move a little bit, the connection go down and I have to restart. It happen with new wire and a other computer too. With the USB 800/400 it doesn't happen.

I'm still not sure. Any one has the same problem?
OURSTUDIO

Postby SFPaul » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

I've had so many issues surrounding firewire I can't even remember them all. Twice the back went in for firewire repair. I say a little prayer each and every time I plug in and hearing the beep at the end after the uploading data sequence is joyous.

The firewire ports on the computers have conked out many times over the years necessitating a trip to the Apple store for repair. I've also just added more firewire ports in my previous G5 when the tech said it was cheaper than repairing the bad ones.

And the firewire cords themselves break somehow. I handle them almost with kid gloves and never (well, if possible) let them snake from the computer to the camera on the ground where they can get stepped upon.

I keep a little 6" cord in the back and plug the main firewire in and out of that rather than constantly in and out of the back itself. I figure that adds to the lifecycle of the firewire connector in the back.

The whole firewire system is tenuous at best.
SFPaul

Postby OURSTUDIO » Wed May 11, 2011 5:59 pm

It seems the fire wire is the problem. I work now with the 800/400 USB and the connection is ok.

When I move the 800/800 wire to the computer, the connection fails, but still power... It's the same on the MAC Pro or iMac., new old old fire wire.

It seems I'm not the only one. What do Leaf say about it?
OURSTUDIO

Postby OURSTUDIO » Wed May 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Ups, that not much Leaf have to say :(
OURSTUDIO

Postby pdahan » Fri May 20, 2011 7:12 am

Hello

I am new in this forum, and I am not really good in english...
I am a photographer in Austria since 30 years and I am Practicing digial photography since 1992.
I am using a Phase one body with a Leaf Aptus 7 thethered to a Mac tower 2010 since Jan 2010 and I get also this problem.
First my dealer told me to upgrade the firmware( no camera for one week). NO CHANGE
-we tried other firewire cable May be the one I use was defect. NO CHANGE
-we tried all new version of Leaf capture. NO CHANGE
-we did buy a LEAF firewire amplificator for more power for the D back .NO CHANGE
-we did buy the Vgrip for more electric assistance for the body .NO CHANGE

Like you I did try thousen of ways with the technician of my dealer but until now NO CHANGE.
Some time it work and some time not, every time we think that we did have found the problem this one come again.
LEAF OR PHASE ONE DO NOT MOVE.It is very strange.
I use also Canon thethered ( Much Sheaper but better Suport)and it work perfectly but I dont like the quality of the picture.
I dont know what to do more ( May be go to Hasselblad), or...pray the God of digital medium camera.. maybe it work?

Paul
pdahan

Postby SFPaul » Fri May 20, 2011 3:11 pm

pdahan/Paul,

Have you investigated the possibility that the firewire ports on your Mac are not working correctly? I have had mine go bad at least twice, at least the times I can remember. The firewire ports may have enough to power other firewire devices like an external hard drive but not enough for my Aptus back. After replacing the ports in the computer itself all was good.

I guess the way to troubleshoot your problem is trying your new firmware upgraded back with the new firewire cable on a different computer to see if the problem lies there. You have to try and pinpoint at which point does it break down. If the back tethers ok with other computers then it's not the back, it's your computer.
SFPaul

Postby OURSTUDIO » Fri May 20, 2011 7:16 pm

SFPaul wrote: The firewire ports may have enough to power other firewire devices like an external hard drive but not enough for my Aptus back. After replacing the ports in the computer itself all was good.

Can you explain more? Mean that a other port - are the not standard?

SFPaul wrote:I guess the way to troubleshoot your problem is trying your new firmware upgraded back with the new firewire cable on a different computer to see if the problem lies there. You have to try and pinpoint at which point does it break down. If the back tethers ok with other computers then it's not the back, it's your computer.

I tried new fire wire, other computer..... But still the same problem.

With the USB 800/400 it works on the iMac. But my MacBook Pro has no USB 400 port.... :( AND yes, it's slower, but at least it works.
OURSTUDIO

Postby yaya » Mon May 23, 2011 5:08 pm

On some Macs the power coming out of the FW port may not be sufficient to provide a secure connection with the back.

For these Macs we recommend using a powered repeater. This can be ordered via your leaf dealer and you can use it with the same power supply unit that came with your back. Make sure that you use good quality FW cables, preferably the Leaf-supplied ones

For New Laptops we also offer FW400-800 cables that work with the older Aptus models

Hope this helps

yair
--
Yair Shahar | Product Manager - Cultural Heritage |Phase One
e: ysh@phaseone.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 |
yaya
Crew
Crew

Postby OURSTUDIO » Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 pm

yaya wrote:On some Macs the power coming out of the FW port may not be sufficient to provide a secure connection with the back.

For these Macs we recommend using a powered repeater. This can be ordered via your leaf dealer and you can use it with the same power supply unit that came with your back. Make sure that you use good quality FW cables, preferably the Leaf-supplied ones

For New Laptops we also offer FW400-800 cables that work with the older Aptus models

Hope this helps

yair

A half year before I have not this problems.......
OURSTUDIO

Postby rap_digital » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey guys

I know this is an old topic but this week I fixed a photogs tethering problems by using a powered firewire repeater/hub.
In this case the photog was able to intermittently connect his older aptus65 for a while and then it would lose connection and wouldnt reconnect. It seems as though the 800 port is running a max wattage and unable to sustain that for a full day without the need to cool down. Be placing a powered hub in between the port doesnt run at max wattage and stays cool. the one I got was from unibrain. If only they had there screw-lock cables at the camera port aswell.
rap_digital

Next

Return to Leaf Capture 11.x