DAM for the MAC

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

DAM for the MAC

Postby Stretch » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:58 am

I'm looking for opinions on DAM software that will work in our workflow. We shoot primarily with a P25+ tethered to a MacBookPro running 10.5.5, Capture One is version 3.7.9. I had been using Extensis Portfolio as our DAM for years but really never was happy with it. So about a year ago I switched to Lightroom which was ok, had some limitations and was slow but had great previews and basically worked well.

Once our jobs are complete we archive to 2 sets of DVD's and import the DVD's to our DAM. When we recently upgraded LR it wanted to access the files to update the thumbnails with LR's new ACR engine. So with the files offline LR could not access them, got confused and required a forced quit. Adobe comfimed that this is currently a drawback to using LR with files stored offline and will continue to be a problem at every major upgrade.

So now I am looking at other options. Mirosoft Expressions Media 2 is one possibility. I'm a little concerned about using software from the software giant. It's hard enough to get an answer from a smaller company like PhaseOne let alone the Microsoft.

I'm interested in how others are finding EM2 or other cataloging solutions when keeping files offline.

Thanks,

Stretch Tuemmler
Stretch

Re: DAM for the MAC

Postby Jean-Franois11 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:11 am

Check out this link:

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00LVKP

Could be useful... Hope it is.
Jean-Franois11

Postby John68 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:27 pm

John68

Postby davidkiang » Sat May 30, 2009 8:57 pm

I've been pretty happy with the Adobe Bridge for managing the data. For the long haul not sure if it has any problems.
How does everyone feel about Adobe's solution?
davidkiang

Return to Capture One 3.x Software