New camera support for v3

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

New camera support for v3

Postby Ben421 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:21 pm

I would like to propose that Phase One continue to update version 3 to support new camera models until such time as v4 becomes stable, and well-enough accepted in the professional world to be a real replacement. At this time – and although I'm tryin' real hard to love v4 – there are too many workflow and performance issues for this to be the case.

I've started this thread to see what other long-time C1Pro users think of the idea.

I would not expect additional features, or even bug fixes, just the incremental addition of support for new cameras. So far the Nikon D700 and Canon 5D MkII are the major victims of Phase One's dropping of v3 development. The forthcoming Nikon D3X is my biggest concern – several of my clients have expressed interest in shooting with this camera.

I imagine this ranks fairly low on the programming complexity level – perhaps a Phase One representative would care to comment.

Regards all, Ben
Ben421

Re: New camera support for v3

Postby Jon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Ben,

This has been said many many times in this forum. There will be no more development on version 3. It is actually quite complicated to make any change to the software. It takes about 4 times as long to add a new camera to V3 as it does V4.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby Ben421 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:36 pm

In that case, how about an honest and open statement of when we can expect v4 to approach the stability and performance of v3.7.9? Do you acknowledge that there are real issues? Do you have a plan to address them?

As this forum amply demonstrates, v4 has failed to be the upgrade your professional users needed. Until recently, I have simply avoided using v4, but as more clients bring in work on the 5DMkII and D3X, it's no longer a choice I can make.

I have just spent another fun hour deleting preferences, caches and default libraries, trying the various releases (v4.5.2, v4.6 and v4.6.1) and shuffling RAW files between locations on my network and local drives, all in the hope of getting a mere half-hour of uninterrupted work done. It hasn't happened.

Your frank comments will be much appreciated.

Ben
Ben421

Postby Daniel3222 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 am

AMEN
almost digital
digital techs
paris
Daniel3222

Postby helenforsdale » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 am

i completely and wholly agree - i hate capture one 4. why fix it if it ain't broke? v3.79 was brilliant, with an amazing interface...the new interface...it just doesn't flow as well.

bring back the old interface!

NN wrote:AMEN
helenforsdale

Return to Capture One 3.x Software