Previews in 3.7.8 not fitting window

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Previews in 3.7.8 not fitting window

Postby Martin312 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:13 am

The preview does not seem to maximise in 3.7.8 to make full use of the preview window. I am running in appropriate compatiibility mode under Vista. And the zomm preview button does not seem to work. I am wasting a lot of my large screen real estate.

Previews only use about half width of preview window. The images are from a Canon EOS 1Ds3.

Any ideas what I might be missing?

On 3.7.6 after rotating/ cropping I did have previews shrink significantly but did not report it.
Martin312

Postby bokeron » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Same here for D300 nefs.

Curiously, D200 nefs are not affected.
bokeron

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:28 pm

I don't have D300 NEFs but I do have 1Ds III CR2s and I noticed the same behavior. This is my explanation:

CO3.x uses for the preview a certain resolution, which is 25% of the raw file resolution most of the time. For a low res camera (to current standards) like the EOS-1D (4 megapix) the preview resolution is 50% of the raw resolution and for a high res camera like the 1Ds III it appears to be only 12% of the raw resolution. You can check this yourself in the upper right corner where you read two percentage values (preview and raw resolution resp.).

The preview setting 'best fit' will adapt the preview size to the screen size available with a maximum of 100% preview resolution. On a large screen this will occur often, on a smaller screen only when you maximize the preview (F9). A larger preview is possible by hand (slider) but appears pixelated until you reach 100% raw resolution (which is often 400% preview resolution in a 1:4 ratio). Here the preview is recalculated, slowing down your workflow.

For some reason, unknown to me, Phase One has chosen a 1:8 ratio for the 1Ds III preview resolution. This results in a rather small preview at 100% (preview resolution) of only 700 pixels wide. For comparison, the Phase One P25 back with approx. the same resolution as the 1Ds III has a 1:4 ratio for the preview resolution.

Don't know what the preview resolution ratio is for the Nikon D300 and D3.

Maybe PO support reacts on this. If not, create a support case.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Martin312 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Paul

That sounds plausible. I will try and check it out when I get back this evening.

It could also explain my shrinking previews (from several camras inc EOS1Ds1) after crop/rotate if it took account of the resizing I was doing?

I raised a support case at the same time as my post here. They have come back for more info which I will send tonight with your suggestion.
Martin312

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Just ran some tests on CO 3.7.8 for another thread and discovered that the EOS-1Ds (first version) also has the 1:8 preview ratio now resulting in a very small preview. Silly.
The 1Ds Mk II is still in a 1:4 ratio, although the program suggests a 1:8 ratio in the top right corner. Things are getting messed up a bit in CO 3.x unfortunately.

I don't understand your shrinking issue. The preview should not shrink but due to rotation, a crop appears and is smaller than the full size image for obvious reasons.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Bryan2 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:03 pm

The smaller previews are unacceptable to me. It's enough to have me reject this program and choose something else. So discouraging to have waited this long for an update and to struggle with this.
Bryan2

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:36 pm

Update on my previous post on preview to raw ratio in CO 3.7.8 after I acquired the NEF files.

Nikon D3 (FX) is 1:8
Nikon D3 (DX) is 1:4
Nikon D300 is 1:8

I think it should be 1:4 for all these models.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby paulcoxphotography » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:33 am

Amazed this has been up since Feb and no response. Very disappointing that my favourite RAW converter is basically unusable with my new camera (the white balance is wrong too). Will try Capture 4 I guess or continue to use NX :(
paulcoxphotography

Postby paulcoxphotography » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:37 am

paulcoxphotography wrote:Amazed this has been up since Feb and no response. Very disappointing that my favourite RAW converter is basically unusable with my new camera (the white balance is wrong too). Will try Capture 4 I guess or continue to use NX :(

and I can't create a support request as that's not working either. Great!
paulcoxphotography

Postby nikon_vienna » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 pm

Totally agree with you, even my dealer has to deal with heavy requests from D300-Users and is not able to give any information,
till when this problem will be solved. :(
Maybe a moderator could help and give us an outllook.
Meantime I'm working now with NX and Lightroom and getting more and more familiar with these solutions.... 8)

thx
Gerhard
nikon_vienna

Postby paulcoxphotography » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:20 pm

In a new twist it seems that now when I open the files on my PC (having made changes to them in NX) they are no longer correctly rotated all all the previous settings are lost. I also cannot PM anyone about this as that facility is disabled.
paulcoxphotography

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:55 pm

paulcoxphotography wrote:In a new twist it seems that now when I open the files on my PC (having made changes to them in NX) they are no longer correctly rotated all all the previous settings are lost. I also cannot PM anyone about this as that facility is disabled.

Though not a NX user myself, I know that NX writes to NEF, making it incompatible with other 3rd party raw developers. Don't have details, but in general, go NX all the way or stick with 3rd party developers like Capture One. Have you tried CO4 already?
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby paulcoxphotography » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:10 pm

Paul Steunebrink wrote:
paulcoxphotography wrote:In a new twist it seems that now when I open the files on my PC (having made changes to them in NX) they are no longer correctly rotated all all the previous settings are lost. I also cannot PM anyone about this as that facility is disabled.

Though not a NX user myself, I know that NX writes to NEF, making it incompatible with other 3rd party raw developers. Don't have details, but in general, go NX all the way or stick with 3rd party developers like Capture One. Have you tried CO4 already?

I'm going to give C1 4 a go now. Took my a while to jump through all the activation hoops and then download the latest version of the software. Prefer V3 though!
paulcoxphotography

D3 (& Canon) preview images

Postby John2 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:15 am

Thought I'd jump in to resurrect this in the hope that someone from the C4 programming team might take a little time out to sort this digicam preview issue in 3.7.x

Much as C4 looks like a promising new kid on the block, I still prefer C1's speed of use in my professional workflow and still find myself all thumbs with C4 despite my best efforts to get to grips with the worst of the programming shortcomings (such as previews not being updated until you scroll them into view - doh!) and am bemused that PhaseOne do seem to be blackmailing us into using C4, even though it is still realistically in beta.

I'm a P45+ user, but PhaseOne can't seriously think that this is the only weapon I'll use day to day. 90% of my work is done (by volume) on the D3 and the fact that I (& some Canon users according to this forum) am trying to select images from previews that may as well be from a phone cam is simply not acceptable.

Teamwork in London and I'm sure the other dealers are great PhaseOne ambassadors, and most PhaseOne users are a loyal lot, but the silence from Denmark about this is certainly driving me away to consider competing products. I'll still use 3.7.8 whilst I can, but unless this is sorted soon I'll have to move on.

£20k for the P45+ with a preview screen worse than a £300 digicam and proprietary software that won't work with my other capture devices because programming time is not being spent on porting useful updates from the beta v4 (lovely with the D3) to the current pro software smacks of a company that has lost its way....

Anyone speak Danish?

end of rant....
John2

Postby Jon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Thought we had posted the answer to this problem in another thread, but It must have been a support case... sorry about that, could have cleared this up a while ago.

The problem stem from the fundamental preview generation code in 3.7.x. Basically Capture One 3.7 uses a simple algorithm based on the pixel dimensions of the raw file. depending on what the numbers are it can result in a larger preview, like the D200, or in some cases a rather small one like with the D3. Most cameras were fine in 3.7 but because we have seen the downside of the algorithm an all new method has been introduced for Capture One 4 so you will not see this issue there. Because it is such a fundamental part of the 3.7 code, the fix for it takes a substantial amount of time. As this would push Capture One 4 Pro back further, it will not be done.
Jon
Crew
Crew

Next

Return to Capture One 3.x Software