ETTR feature in Feature update 8. Please explain

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

ETTR feature in Feature update 8. Please explain

Postby Rogerxnz » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:39 am

I am disappointed that there is no explanation as to how to use the ETTR feature or what cameras it will work with. I know the feature is experimental but how are we supposed to send feedback if we do not know how to use the feature in the first place?

Although the release note refers to the feature, not under the headings for XF and XT cameras and states"The Phase One Lab offers a “Beta proving ground” for all IQ4 customers." [Emphasis added], I am disappointed to read that some users consider the feature only works with P1 cameras.

Would you please advise whether the ETTR feature will work with IQ4 backs even if used with non-P1 cameras.

If ETTR will work with non-P1 cameras, such as, a Linhof Techno, how does one use it and what is it supposed to do.
Roger
Rogerxnz

Re: ETTR feature in Feature update 8. Please explain

Postby rread » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:08 pm

Yes, I would like to see how to use this and confirmation on what backs it works with. I've updated my IQ4 100 and I can't find the option.

The virtual horizon tool on the IQ4 is gone, too, or did that move somewhere else?
rread
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Denverphotoscapes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 pm

I selected ETTR on the IQ4 150MP on the XF and it does nothing.

I selected ETTR on the IQ4 150MP attached to the XT and it switches from M to AP and takes an image.

The best exposure for my scene with some shadows, mid-tones and white clouds on a blue sky was M at 1/30 at f/16. Actually I think I could squeeze out 1/25 at f/16 and be ok.

The ETTR changed to AP and selected 1/13. Which really blew out the clouds and some of the building. By about 1 1/3 stops.

I tried another test setting the M exposure at 1/20' f/16 and it changed to AP at 1/6". I changed the shutter to 1/30" and it changed to AP at 1/6. Still way over exposed and it doesn't seem to matter what you set the shutter speed at.

I was going to see if ETTR would honor EV Comp but could not find it on the IQ4 when attached to the XT.

Also the EXIF Exposure Program when on the XT shows Not Defined. ES shutter on both cameras.

It looks like they have some work to do.
Denverphotoscapes
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635883552386007607UL » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:47 pm

ETTR does not work on my IQ4 150MP. it just doesn't do anything. it does not change any exposure parameters. is limited to taking a shot with the exposure values ​​currently in the camera :roll:
NN635883552386007607UL

Postby Rogerxnz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:48 pm

In my opinion, the biggest disappointment is how PhaseOne is abusing it users about ETTR. It's one thing to have an experimental feature which is not 100% working but it is an unacceptable other thing to have a supplier who does not publish useful documentation on the feature and does not respond to numerous requests for information on how the feature is supposed to work.

I get cross when I think of how many hours users have wasted trying to work with this feature.

I think PhaseOne's behaviour is very disappointing, especially, considering the high price we pay for their backs.
Roger
Rogerxnz

Postby Ulf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi
Thanks for your comments, I think it is a bit harsh.
This is a beta feature and the Lab feature has been introduced experimental proving ground.

I believe most understand that it is experimental as you have to specifically enable this.
As it is experimental, it is not finished and is not documented or completely tested.

The other option would be to not introduce feature before it is ready and completed.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs