Beginner with questions

Question regarding:
Phase One H25, H20, H101, H10, H5, LightPhase, PowerPhase FX / FX +, PowerPhase, PhotoPhase and StudioKit.
Leaf Aptus-II, Aptus S, Aptus, Valeo, C-Most, Cantare, Volare and DCB.

Beginner with questions

Postby msknight » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 pm

I posed this on the Capture One forum before knowing that this forum existed. My apologies, although my issues do also cover Capture One.

For more than fifteen years I've been dreaming of a digital back to bring my old Hasselblad 500C/M and Technika large format cameras back into use. They've principally been not used because the mechanisms for film winding need attention and I'm only an amateur photographer.

I have the ability to purchase a used H20 16 megapixel back, and I have some concerns that I need assistance with.

Firstly, it's firewire. I was wondering about Firewire to USB 3 converters. Hopefully someone has some experience of this.

Secondly, licensing. Should I expect a license for Capture One Pro to come with the back?

Thirdly, operating system. My primary operating system is Linux and I utilise virtualisation and other mechanisms to run older Windows software. I also do have one Windows 7 machine, but I note that the OS listed on the H20 manual is XP.

I would be most grateful for people's advice on the above points as I would love to bring these old cameras back to life again and have been waiting years for a digital back to come into my meagre amateur budget.
msknight

Re: Beginner with questions

Postby Ulf » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:16 am

Hi
USB-C docks with Firewire are getting few and far between.
OWC used to make one which you might be able to pick up on eBay or similar market place.
Here is more information
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article?articleid=1843&languageid=1

XP was the newest operating system which was around when the H20 was produced but you can use it on newer once.
Your Windows 7 should work fine as long as it has a firewire card.
Capture One you can download from our webpage.
if you need further assistance then contact support
Http://support.phaseone.com
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Re: Beginner with questions

Postby msknight » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you for the help Ulf.

Taking things on balance, I think I'd have a hard time getting the H20 to work with my available PC.

I'll talk with the agent and see what they say. It will likely mean I'll have to wait another few years until a back with on board storage comes into my meagre price range. The benefit of not being tethered would be worth it, and what's another few years to wait :-)
msknight

Return to Phase One and Leaf Legacy one-shot and scan camera back