Smart Album Duplicates

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One for Phase One and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 20.x for Windows

Smart Album Duplicates

Postby Gordon_Huston » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:15 am

I am having an issue with Smart Albums in Capture One 20.

I have created a Smart Album inside a Session that is meant to collect images by rating. For example, I have a Smart Album for images with a rating that equals 1 star. The Smart Album correctly groups the 1 star images, but it displays six or seven duplicates of each 1 star image. In fact, the number of duplicates displayed seems to increase over time. These are not Variants. These are simply multiples of each image or Variant that has a 1 star rating.

I have deleted and recreated the Smart Album, but the problem continues. I have also Verified the session, but that does not change this behavior.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank-you.

JGH
Gordon_Huston

Re: Smart Album Duplicates

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:00 am

This is erratic behavior and not intended. From the steps you have taken (new smart album, verify session) it is hard to diagnose.

Is this only in this session or does it in other sessions too on a regular basis? If it is only this session, I would create a new session to replace it. If it occurs on a regular basis, I would open a support case.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Gordon_Huston » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:36 pm

I can definitely create a new session to further test the issue. If the problems are corrected by creating a new session, is there a way to create a new session from the current "corrupt" session and maintain the work that I have within the current "corrupt" session? In a perfect world, I would like to preserve all of the image adjustments that I have made and correct the problem.
Thanks for your help.
JGH
Gordon_Huston

Postby Ian3 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:08 pm

If you create a new session ("Session B") you can move images from the old session ("Session A") to it. Do it like this.

(1) Create Session B.

(2) Use the Library tool inside Session B to find the folders for Session A (in the System Folders section of the Library tool).

(3) Drag and drop the images from the session A folders into the required folders in Session B. Because you are doing it inside Capture One (not through Windows Explorer) it will bring the edits and adjustments along with them.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:31 pm

In addition to Ian3's good advice you can easily test things in a new session since all edits are stored locally to the image's folder as sub-folders.

All you need to do to test is open the new session and in the library tool go to 'System Folders', navigate to a folder you wish to include and select it. (Select the FOLDER not the images in it). That should find the images and the existing edits.

Make the folder a 'Favourite' and the new session will permanently connect to it.

Once you are happy that things are working you can, if you so desire, move the folders around USING CAPTURE ONE to recreate you preferred structure.

If, at any stage, you get a repeat of the previous problems that might suggest there is a problem with one (or more) images or their adjustment files. Taking out the folders one by one should make it possible to narrow down the suspected source of a problem if there is one. Such things are extremely rare but not impossible.

Grant
SFA

Postby Gordon_Huston » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:05 pm

Thanks so much. Very helpful. I'll do some testing and report what I find.
Gordon
Gordon_Huston

Postby Gordon_Huston » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:08 pm

I am still chasing this issue and have some additional info.
I created a new session and brought images into it as suggested on the previous posts.
The problem of the duplicate images in the Smart Albums continued in the new session.
I don't know if it has any bearing on the problem, but selecting the album "All Images" and filtering by rating gave the correct results with no duplicates of the rated images.
I finally tried removing the rating from the images, closing Capture One, reopening Capture One, and reapply the rating.
This was very tedious and time consuming, but it seems to have corrected the problem in all but 2 folders of images. Rated images in those folders continue to duplicate as before.
Any suggestions of what to try next?
Gordon
Gordon_Huston

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Gordon,

The entire saga seems completely bizarre and must be hugely frustrating.

Do you have an different disk to which the remaining problem folders can be moved? (Taking a backup first of course.)

If so, on the basis that probably would not take too long, it may be worth trying.

I'm wondering if, somehow, and internal index in Windows the links file fragments together on disk has become 'disorientated' (for want of a better word) in some way. Your work with some of the folders, now seemingly fixed, may have involved disk level activities that have eliminated such a problem. But not everywhere.

Moving a file to another drive ensures that a physical activity occurs (not just a rename exercise) and so might have a good chance of fixing internal index reference problems if such is the source of what you see.

If that fixes the problem then moving the folder back should retain the fixed index (or whatever).

It's a bit of a long shot but based on what you have described we seem to be looking for something highly unusual.

There are, of course, log files that could be analysed.

How are your log file reading skills?

Grant
SFA

Postby Gordon_Huston » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:30 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I will move the files to another disk and see what happens. As far as reading log files goes, I have no experience in that area. I'm willing to jump in, but I fear a steep learning curve.
Gordon
Gordon_Huston

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:40 am

Gordon_Huston wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I will move the files to another disk and see what happens. As far as reading log files goes, I have no experience in that area. I'm willing to jump in, but I fear a steep learning curve.
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

For the log files - some things are relatively easy to read and get a feel for what is going on (or may be going on).

Other things are not so easy.

Then there's the stuff that will only mean something to the developers.

See what happens with the move to another storage medium and we can come back to the log files.

If you create a Support case with C1 they will ask for them anyway - but they have the people and knowledge to make most use of them. As you would expect.

Grant
SFA

Postby Gordon_Huston » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:15 pm

I moved the folders as suggested, but the problem persists. I wonder if I should reinstall Capture One?
Gordon
Gordon_Huston

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Gordon_Huston wrote:I moved the folders as suggested, but the problem persists. I wonder if I should reinstall Capture One?

Yes, but I should delete the preference file first:
Code: Select all
/Users/[user_name]/library/Preferences/com.phaseone.captureone13.plist
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby morgo1968 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 pm

I'm having the same issue....any time I create a smart album I am faced with duplicate images. Mine system also does this if I go to the default "All Images" and also whether I create a smart album or just filter.

In my case I am filtering on a single keyword.

Very frustrating......
morgo1968

Postby morgo1968 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:46 am

I have followed the advice in the post and created a new session and added the existing image folders through the system folders. So far this seems to have worked....no duplicate images in normal viewing mode or in smart albums.

I haven't done exhaustive testing on multiple sessions but I'm hoping this is just a one off corrupted session. When I tried to verify the previous session it repeatedly failed.

Thanks very much to all of those who contribute so freely with their time and knowledge...it is a huge help!
morgo1968

Postby Gordon_Huston » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 pm

That actually does me good to know that someone else is facing the same issues because it means that I just haven't done something stupid. Well, it at least lessens the odds that it's not just me.

Unfortunately, I still have not found a solution on my installation.

I put the session on an external drive and opened it on another computer running CO20. The problem followed me there. I think that tells me that is a corruption within the session. However, I cant seem to clean it up.

Perhaps when I created a new session and moved the image folders, I missed something. Could you briefly outline the steps that you followed?

I have submitted a request for help from capture one support, but I have yet to hear any thing from them - other than the acknowledgement that they received my submission.
Gordon_Huston

Next

Return to Capture One 20.x Software for Windows