Browser bar won't stay hidden

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Browser bar won't stay hidden

Postby AndyCollings » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm not sure what has happened. A couple people at my studio use C1 and either I or someone else has changed a setting, or it's changed by itself and the result is the following:
Recently I've not been able to permanently hide the browser bar. What I mean by this is that I used to be able to press ctrl+b to hide the browser in viewer mode and then I'd switch to browser mode "the big grid of images" (not sure official name) and then when I go back to "viewer" mode, the browser would still be hidden. But now the browser bar returns every time. How do I get the functionality I used to have back?
Anyone know what's going on?
AndyCollings

Re: Browser bar won't stay hidden

Postby SFA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:14 pm

If you are in full size browser it's just the browser displayed enlarged. Hide it and it will be gone with the viewer displayed instead.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby ClauS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm

AndyCollings wrote:I'm not sure what has happened. A couple people at my studio use C1 and either I or someone else has changed a setting, or it's changed by itself and the result is the following:
Recently I've not been able to permanently hide the browser bar. What I mean by this is that I used to be able to press ctrl+b to hide the browser in viewer mode and then I'd switch to browser mode "the big grid of images" (not sure official name) and then when I go back to "viewer" mode, the browser would still be hidden. But now the browser bar returns every time. How do I get the functionality I used to have back?
Anyone know what's going on?

I don't know if they've changed something at some point but SFA reply let me learn something new. To elaborate on that:

When everything is displayed you can press Ctrl+B to hide/show the browser (I'm using the default shortcuts) or Ctrl+Alt+V to hide/show the viewer. Hiding one will show and enlarge the other.

So when you hide the viewer with Ctrl+Alt+V, the Browser will take its space even if it was hidden before. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+V again will show the Viewer back but won't hide the Browser (this is what you're doing, whether through shortcut or menu). Instead Ctrl+B will hide the browser bringing back the Viewer too. As such, you need to alternate two different shortcuts to make CO do what you want and not the same one repeated over time. Actually it makes sense. When you hide the Browser and then bring it back, you don't expect the Viewer to be hidden too. So when you hide the Viewer and then bring it back you shouldn't expect the Browser to disappear.

So, you have to think in terms of what you want to hide.
ClauS

Postby AndyCollings » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks for the replies fellow C1 users! I think I didn't explain myself. I use the Ctrl+B shortcut and the Ctrl+Alt+V shortcut many times a day. The issue is that in the past, when I was in the viewer mode, I'd press ctrl+B and hide the browser bar. So far so good. Then for one reason or another I'd need to switch away from viewer and use broswer view. Great. Now, when I then switch back to the viewer, the browser bar reappears, even though I had hidden it earlier.
In the past it would only reappear if I pressed ctrl+B again. Something has changed to where I have to hide it every single time I go into viewer mode.
AndyCollings

Postby ClauS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:39 pm

AndyCollings wrote:Thanks for the replies fellow C1 users! I think I didn't explain myself. I use the Ctrl+B shortcut and the Ctrl+Alt+V shortcut many times a day. The issue is that in the past, when I was in the viewer mode, I'd press ctrl+B and hide the browser bar. So far so good. Then for one reason or another I'd need to switch away from viewer and use broswer view. Great. Now, when I then switch back to the viewer, the browser bar reappears, even though I had hidden it earlier.
In the past it would only reappear if I pressed ctrl+B again. Something has changed to where I have to hide it every single time I go into viewer mode.

You had explained yourself. As I said I don't know if they've changed something 'cause I wasn't used to do that but I'll try to explain myself better with these two examples:

You've got both Viewer and Browser on screen. Now you can press:

1. Ctrl+B to hide the Browser. You only see the Viewer

At this point you can press Ctrl+B again to have the Browser back with the Viewer or
    you can press Ctrl+Alt+V to hide the Viewer and enter "Browser mode" (you only see the Browser now).

2. Ctrl+Alt+V to hide the Viewer. You only see the Browser now.

In this scenario you can press Ctrl+Alt+V again to have the Viewer back with the Browser or
    you can press Ctrl+B to have the Viewer back without the Browser (basically you hide the Browser and the Viewer is automatically back)

So, I don't know if something has changed but that's for sure how you do things (now) if you want to alternate Viewer and Browser exclusively.
That's why I've said you have to think in terms of what you want to hide and not of what you want to show.
ClauS

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Andy,

It's as ClauS has described (much more clearly than me) on my system as well.

If you are seeing a different result that would be odd but, in the absence of any other ideas from me, it may worth reviewing what you have set up in the keyboard shortcuts just in case there is somehow a discrepancy between what is expected and what is set up. Somehow. I would not expect anything but it's a few seconds to check.

As I types that I also wondered about a possible Keyboard problem whereby you might not be getting the keystrokes you are applying for some reason - I have not stopped to consider the possible logic (or lack of it) behind that suggestion. Just a passing thought for something that would not be a natural consideration and therefore might explain random.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software