CO is the worst, quits after import dialgoue loads directory

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

CO is the worst, quits after import dialgoue loads directory

Postby NNN636579228497173990 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:06 pm

hi there,

this software is giving me more trouble every day: when i start the import dialogue, a window appears loading the content of the initial / last import directory. i use this dir to copy all my objects from different devices into it, and then import (and move away) whats relevant with different s/w.

and now: co just quits when opening the dir, no message, nothing. crash report is popping up, but thats it.

so now i am sitting here again trying to figure out what went wrong, maybe with one of the >1000 files inside the dir.

if anyone knows any tricks to figure out the culprit files, please let me know. of course support has been contacted, but they will most certainly send me a list of filetypes that are valid for an import directory...

...comment...

i am very sorry, need to vent this, but: i have seen lots of bad software, but in 2019, on a mac, a professional s/w for >300 bucks, this is just not acceptable.

also, still no HEIC support, and "no comment on future versions" as an answer - which is totally unacceptable as well for professional software: i need to secure my investment, so i need to make informed decisions - also about upcoming compatibility.

if i would have known this upfront, i would never have bought this software; unfortunately, they do not refund, so new customers, be aware.

bye
NNN636579228497173990

Re: CO is the worst, quits after import dialgoue loads direc

Postby Ian3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:57 pm

NNN636579228497173990 wrote:i am very sorry, need to vent this, but: i have seen lots of bad software, but in 2019, on a mac, a professional s/w for >300 bucks, this is just not acceptable.

Most of us users find we can import with no trouble. If you are having problems, try asking Support for help, so that they can help you figure out why what works OK for the rest of us isn't working right for you.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 am

NNN636579228497173990 wrote:if anyone knows any tricks to figure out the culprit files, please let me know. of course support has been contacted,

Have you tried testing what happens if you use a different folder to your normal folder?

Or if you simply import from a memory card directly?
SFA

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:57 am

I have not seen Captutre One crash because of an unsupported file type in the Import directory.

What I have seen is that unsupported files types are not shown at all in the import menu, or are shown but cannot be selected.

I'm not saying this can't cause a crash, but it would be new behaviour.

The only crashing behaviour that I've heard of in the last 6 months or so is somebody having difficulty with folders located on a Drobo, unclear if it was a NAS or a DAS, and somebody else also having issues with catalogs in folders on a NAS but he wouldn't say what brand of NAS.

I think the most likely problem is some kind of folder access issue, I would check folder permissions, and try a folder located on a different drive or a different user account.

I would provide as much info as you can for your support ticket, the supporters are generally pretty good.
Eric Nepean

Postby NNN636579228497173990 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:39 pm

good evening,

thanks for your replies and for trying to help, much appreciated!

the import folder is a local folder on the main mac volume: /Users/meeeee/Pictures/Masters/___Incoming

so far, nothing special about it.

quite strange is the following:
1. click on import, do NOT scroll while it is loading previews in the window --> no crash
2. close window
3. click on import again, move around, scroll --> crash
4. then again, same procedure, no crash

so there is no pattern besides "do nothing while previews are loading" that might help.

what worries me: each time it crashes the database might get corrupted, and then it will be a serious issue. happened twice a month ago...

contacted support via old ticket, they referred to new URL, but somehow the support form has disappeared, it now only says under

--> https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us ... pport-Case

- Sending the Capture One team a Feature Request
- Getting Support for Phase One hardware

where do i put my software problem now...?

cheers!
NNN636579228497173990

Postby NNN636579228497173990 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:59 pm

post scriptum

despite the fact that i paid for that license, it is eating up my personal time.

i was in the process of moving from my beloved apple aperture to something suitable.

thought c1 was the ONE:
- DAM
- best RAW processor on market
- pro software

now i am starting to doubt my choice (see above...). adobe is evil (personal opinion) so there is not much left.

maybe its worth a new topic, but anyway, my use case:

- many pictures from iphones xs, 11 and so (fabulous cameras!)
- many from d850 which need heavy machinery :)
- very many from previous dslrs

i would like to combine them in one DAM. of course, PHOTOS does good job with faces and places and sharing, but no evaluation besides "likes" etc. so its really fun and easy, but lacks many pro features.

maybe i could substitute apple aperture with PHOTOS and AFFINITY? any thoughts?

i guess main purpose is DAM (please: rock solid!!!!) with decent features, but with - maybe - extensions to do cool stuff.
NNN636579228497173990

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:03 am

NNN636579228497173990 wrote:good evening,

thanks for your replies and for trying to help, much appreciated!

the import folder is a local folder on the main mac volume: /Users/meeeee/Pictures/Masters/___Incoming

so far, nothing special about it.

quite strange is the following:
1. click on import, do NOT scroll while it is loading previews in the window --> no crash
2. close window
3. click on import again, move around, scroll --> crash
4. then again, same procedure, no crash

so there is no pattern besides "do nothing while previews are loading" that might help.
That narrows it down a bit
Sounds like a problem with OpenCL Hardware acceleration or an out of memory issue
How much RAM do you have, what kind of graphics card, what model and speed CPU, what version is your OS?

I recommend that you disable Hardware Acceleration by opening Capture One preferences, in the General pane, about halfway down, is the section on Hardware Acceleration
Set both Display and Processing to Never

Ir might also be that the Catalog database is corrupt because you have had a number of crashes.
Can you try importing into a freshly created catalog?
what worries me: each time it crashes the database might get corrupted, and then it will be a serious issue. happened twice a month ago...
Yes, very valid concern for CO and any tool that uses a database.
I set Capture One to backup the catalog when the catalog is closed, but with v12 I haven't had a crash for a very long time.
contacted support via old ticket, they referred to new URL, but somehow the support form has disappeared, it now only says under

--> https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us ... pport-Case

- Sending the Capture One team a Feature Request
- Getting Support for Phase One hardware
Note
On the upper right of this window is a link Submit a Request
Click on that link, a form opens, fill it out, click submit
where do i put my software problem now...?

cheers!

Fill out a support request and get help from the experts. Fix the crashing before you try anything else.

I think you will find that once you get through that problem you won't find any others.
Last edited by Eric Nepean on Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Nepean

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:13 am

NNN636579228497173990 wrote:post scriptum

despite the fact that i paid for that license, it is eating up my personal time.

i was in the process of moving from my beloved apple aperture to something suitable.

thought c1 was the ONE:
- DAM
- best RAW processor on market
- pro software

now i am starting to doubt my choice (see above...). adobe is evil (personal opinion) so there is not much left.

maybe its worth a new topic, but anyway, my use case:

- many pictures from iphones xs, 11 and so (fabulous cameras!)
- many from d850 which need heavy machinery :)
- very many from previous dslrs

i would like to combine them in one DAM. of course, PHOTOS does good job with faces and places and sharing, but no evaluation besides "likes" etc. so its really fun and easy, but lacks many pro features.

maybe i could substitute apple aperture with PHOTOS and AFFINITY? any thoughts?
I use Affinity for few things.
Apple set Aperture users adrift and now you'd like to switch to Apple Photos?
i guess main purpose is DAM (please: rock solid!!!!) with decent features, but with - maybe - extensions to do cool stuff.
IMO you would be crazy to switch to Photos + Affinity and you will live regret it.

I was an Aperture user since 2006 and I'm about to delete my Aperture Libraries as I haven't used them for 2 years. I find Capture One v11 and 12 to be very stable.
Eric Nepean

Postby DavidBleeker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:23 pm

I have had this problem too! But my catalogue contains 360000 files. As long as you have a good amount of RAM I run 32GB) and a reasonable size GPU (I run a NVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB). I also have the catalogue on a separate hard drive, a 500GB SSD it should work pretty reliable.

Then especially when importing /migrating large amount of images to a new catalogue you should really regularly verify the Catalogue/and repair.

You can only do that by making a separate (Empty) catalogue which you open then you can go to File>Verify Catalogue or Session and select your working catalogue. Verify and probably repair.

Sometimes I still have the previous import showing up in the import window. I just have to close it and give the program a couple of seconds to fully settle.

Hope that works for you!

Just realise that you are on a MAC but Verify/repair should still work similar...

I must say though that as a Raw converter Capture 1 is great but as a DAM.... It is disappointing. Key-wording is really strange as you get a flat string of words. So I avoid that now and for DAM I ma looking into Photo Mechanic as that really seems to be the standard. I wish the cataloguing/key wording was better in Capture 1!!¬

David
DavidBleeker

Postby NNN636579228497173990 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Many thanks for all the input.

Just a quick update from the road: support just told me to avoid macos catalina.

Which leaves me a little speechless, for many reasons
- why on earth isnt it compatible? Betas have been out for ages... everyone else manages...
- no say about when it will be compatible
- no answer to heic support btw, too
- told them i am frustrated, no sign of sorry
- etc.

Btw my imac is highest config from late 2015, 16gb, biggest graphiccard, internal apple ssd, a never-have-problems-machine, and i use it a lot.

Later
NNN636579228497173990

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 pm

NNN636579228497173990 wrote:Many thanks for all the input.

Just a quick update from the road: support just told me to avoid macos catalina.

- why on earth isnt it compatible? Betas have been out for ages... everyone else manages...
- etc.

Btw my imac is highest config from late 2015, 16gb, biggest graphiccard, internal apple ssd, a never-have-problems-machine, and i use it a lot.

Later

Every vendor has their own way of working, quirks, plusses and minuses.

Capture One never tells when anything will be ready. But it releases new content in a steady and predictable pattern. Support usually responds within 1 or 2 business days, and will usually help you to recover from a disaster. But support is not engineering (Capture One development).

Every year since I started with Capture One 7 the new version of Capture One is ready in November. It has new features and it is compatible with the latest Apple OS. I have never seen a Capture One version supporting a Beta version of an Apple OS.

There is usually at least one dot release with some new content during the year.

There are usually several dot dot releases after the first release with bug fixes.

Hint: Sign up for Capture One Beta testing
Eric Nepean

Postby SFA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:29 pm

NNN636579228497173990 wrote:

It's been the same message from Adobe too.

What are Apple doing this time that has put everyone notably on edge about the update?

Likewise Microsoft with Window updates recently - some of the updates are best avoided and, in some cases, MS had to reverse them having caused untold thousands of users some periods of pain.

I think the developers may have become wary of the perpetual updates and the concept that drives it. Even those of the size of Adobe with all of their apparent resources. And of course they also develop development tools - so they know very well the level of chaos they could distribute to the unwary.
SFA

Postby NNN636579228497173990 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 am

Eric Nepean wrote:
NNN636579228497173990 wrote:Many thanks for all the input.

- etc.

Later

Every vendor has their own way of working, quirks, plusses and minuses.

Capture One never tells when anything will be ready. But it releases new content in a steady and predictable pattern. Support usually responds within 1 or 2 business days, and will usually help you to recover from a disaster. But support is not engineering (Capture One development).

Every year since I started with Capture One 7 the new version of Capture One is ready in November. It has new features and it is compatible with the latest Apple OS. I have never seen a Capture One version supporting a Beta version of an Apple OS.

There is usually at least one dot release with some new content during the year.

There are usually several dot dot releases after the first release with bug fixes.

Hint: Sign up for Capture One Beta testing

thanks for that explanation!

but still this leaves me until next release in november with a dysfunctional copy of c1 - until it gets compatible with catalina. unfortunately all my macs are updated already (btw: without any other issues so far).

i will though stick with my earlier opinion that it should be essential to a(ny) pro software to at least supply compatibility patches for current OS versions.

obviously there is no "no monthly license fee"-version of any other good toolset, so i will be sticking around just for the new version in november. i must say, i do not like this situation...

cheers!
NNN636579228497173990

Return to Capture One 12.x Software