My Major beef with C!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

My Major beef with C!

Postby Rudolphucker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 pm

I've owned C1 for about 20 months, it is a quality piece of editing software apart from in one area and sadly it will stop me reordering next time.

It's the crop tool. I'm sorry but the Photoshop crop is light years in front. My complaints about the crop tool are as follows:

1. You cannot straighten an image before you crop it. In other words I quite often want to straighten an image before cropping. I fully appreciate you can 'Command R' but that means extra keys to hit, okay it is only a few seconds but I am a pro football tog and time is of the essence, I don't see why you cannot straighten before cropping.

2. If you want to straighten the image without using 'Command R' then you have to get the curser right up next to the corner of the image to straighten. If you are a couple of millemetres away and accidently hit the mouse then you lose the crop and the image reverts to the original size.

3. You cannot change the crop, on the side of an image by 'pushing' it in, you can only crop by having the curser in the corner of the image.

4. Sometimes I can click on the inside of an image, draw out the size of crop I want but sometimes it won't allow that, no idea why.

There is so much to love about C1 but I'm afraid the crop really annoys me. Can somebody maybe help if I am going wrong somewhere.

Thanks
Simon.
Rudolphucker

Re: My Major beef with C!

Postby OddS » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:25 pm

Rudolphucker wrote:3. You cannot change the crop, on the side of an image by 'pushing' it in, you can only crop by having the curser in the corner of the image.

I use Windows and C1 lets me adjust the crop by push/pull on top/bottom/side edges if crop aspect ratio is set to unconstrained.
OddS

Postby Rudolphucker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 pm

I always crop to three sizes, 3x2, 4x5 and 16x9. I do this in case anybody buys an image. Thanks
Rudolphucker

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:43 pm

I nearly always straighten before cropping by using the Rotation tool.

Having straightened the crop will potentially be somewhat constrained but that is down to the limits of the composition post straightening. The more extreme the rotation the more constrained the crop. (assuming you do not want to allow "Crop outside image".

You can straighten (or at least rotate with guides) using the crop tool.

If you want 3 different crop ratios then straighten first.

Then generate 3 variants of the image and for each apply the crop ration you require and position it.

If positioning is not an issue and can be dealt with for all ratios by using one of them as a "master" for positioning the centre of the subject, then crop once and use the Output Recipes to deliver the additional crop ratios. In my opinion that may not work ideally for all crop but might be good enough in most cases. If note you will need to edit the crops on three variants and use a separate output recipe for each one. Not too much of a problem if you keep consistent control of the order of variant and crop position.

You can change the crop by pushing in (or pulling out) if you are using the Unconstrained setting.
However for a fixed ratio that does not make much sense since any size change will need to be in 2 dimensions.

If your image has no existing crop applied you can draw any crop you want. You can replace an existing crop by using the Shift key and drawing a new crop.

If your image has an existing crop applied - due to Rotation for example or perhaps automatic lens corrections, then you can modify the crop or use the Shift key to create a new crop.

You can also make the changes on one image and copy them to one or more others although the use of that may not be extensive other than for small groups of images when shooting (especially when shooting action shots based on my experience.)

If you use a Phase digital back you might have the option for Auto-levelling within C1. However I doubt anyone is using a DB for full on action shooting the way that you are likely to be working.

I'm using WIndows rather than Mac and it is just possible that there might be some differences in what the different systems support but as far as I know the functionality should be the same in this area of editing requirement.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Rudolphucker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Hopefully C20 will resolve my issues. I'll report back. :)
Rudolphucker

Postby marchyman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:53 pm

In Capture One 20 select the crop tool. Hold down the command key. The tool turns into a rotate tool. Fine tune the rotation. Then let go of the command key and crop as desired. I like this improvement.
marchyman

Postby Rudolphucker » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Used it today and what a great improvement, really good, no complaints now! Thanks C1 :D
Rudolphucker

Return to Capture One 12.x Software