My Experience with the Phase One XF 100

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

My Experience with the Phase One XF 100

Postby NNN637061178756852378 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 am

I had the fortunate experience of doing a half-day shoot with the Phase One XF 100 camera. I never used another digital medium format camera. My main camera is a Fuji APSC camera. And it's not everyday that I get to use a $40k medium-format camera, so I figure I write my thoughts.

I was doing a beauty shoot. So the lens I used was the 150mm AF f/2.8 IF.I was in a studio setting, so I didn't get to experience the magical "medium format bokeh." I was shooting at around F/20 so depth of field wasn't too big of a problem.

The Phase has 1 focus point in the middle. I was prepared for bad AF from all the stories I heard. It wasn't bad actually. The Phase emits a focus-assist light every time it tries to acquire focus. Maybe that helped? Because I had such a deep depth of field, focus recomposing was no problem. I also heard that the AF was improved from the old Phase cameras.

I couldn't rattle off shots like I could with my Fuji X-T2. In fact, since the RAW files were around 100 megs each, I could probably shoot about 1 shot a second. Even then, after like 10 shots, I had to stop for the buffer to clear.
NNN637061178756852378

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs