Deleting Original RAW files when selecting in Capture one?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Deleting Original RAW files when selecting in Capture one?

Postby NNN636871555502644173 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Hello!

I would like to know if I am doing something wrong or if this is even possible to do.

I create a session, I import the files into Capture, and I then I select the photos I want to keep and edit. But then I backup my raws on external Hdds, and it would be immensely helpful if the raws would also be deleted as I delete them in CApture one. I don't need out of focus photos to be backed for example and being able to delete them while I select them in the software would save me Daaays...It's a mess to keep 3000 photos when I only want 500 out of those, and I really don't have a second life to re-select them just to save the raws too, not just the exported variants.

Hope it makes sense, thank you!
NNN636871555502644173

Re: Deleting Original RAW files when selecting in Capture on

Postby NNN636818585512125982 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Remember that in Capture One, your edits are merely pointers in a database that refer to your RAWs. If you "delete" a RAW, these pointers are deleted from the current catalog and placed in the "trash"catalog. However, the RAW remains untouched on the hard drive until you decide to empty the trash. Whenever you empty the trash, you are given two choices. You can remove the file(s) from the trash catalog (which does not delete them from the hard drive) OR you can choose to permanently delete the files themselves from the hard drive.

Paul
NNN636818585512125982

Postby NNN636871555502644173 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm

Thank you for the answer. I thought that was the case, but when I empty my session trash, it only says that files will be deleted from disk. No other option, and even so, the raws are still there on my hdd. Can I set it to also delete the raws from some setting menu I'm not finding? Much appreciated. If I can set it to do so, I'll be a very happy tog...
NNN636871555502644173

Postby Wesley » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 am

Try selecting all raws in the session trash (ctrl+A) and do ctrl+del
Wesley

Postby NNN636871555502644173 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 am

Wesley wrote:Try selecting all raws in the session trash (ctrl+A) and do ctrl+del

Woof...tried it but it seems the raws are still there. Is there an official support chat or email I can ask them directly? I'm starting to think it's a bug on my end, since the option clearly says "delete from disk". I have the Sony full version.
NNN636871555502644173

Postby Wesley » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:36 am

NNN636871555502644173 wrote:
Wesley wrote:Try selecting all raws in the session trash (ctrl+A) and do ctrl+del

Woof...tried it but it seems the raws are still there. Is there an official support chat or email I can ask them directly? I'm starting to think it's a bug on my end, since the option clearly says "delete from disk". I have the Sony full version.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain

You have to use their support portal. Lower half of the page - Contact Support
Wesley

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 am

NNN636871555502644173 wrote:Hello!

I would like to know if I am doing something wrong or if this is even possible to do.

I create a session, I import the files into Capture, and I then I select the photos I want to keep and edit. But then I backup my raws on external Hdds, and it would be immensely helpful if the raws would also be deleted as I delete them in CApture one.

If I understand that correctly you have the RAW imported to Capture One AND a backup of those files on an external drive. Is that correct?

If so the External backup files, no matter how created, are entirely separate from the Capture One session and not managed by the session. That makes them a safe back up resource.

On that basis I would not expect Capture One to Delete those files - only the ones that have been imported. A different concept for managing the backed up files would be the best option.

The most logical option I can think of, based on the description of your process, would be to treat the completed Session's imported files as the new, reduced set of ORIGINAL FILES that you wish to keep and create a backup for those files. Whether that is part of a session backup os as a separate, external to Capture One folder is your choice and might depend upon whther the files are also available to other software applications in addition to Capture One.

Either way at the point that you have made you selection of original files to be retained in any circumstances, or to see it another way - those files you are happy to delete in any circumstances, you can simply make sure that the selected files are saved and delete the entire original precautionary save folder since it would by then be redundant (one assumes ...).

Now I may have interpreted your workflow description incorrectly and if so I apologise for wasting your time spent reading this. However if you really have created a precautionary backup as part of your original import process (or something equivalent to that) then it would surely be a requirement that such a back was safe from unintended deletions, no matter how caused, that might result in the loss of the images so backed up.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636871555502644173 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 am

SFA wrote:
NNN636871555502644173 wrote:Hello!
Grant

Thank you very much, you gave me a very good option with ultimately saving the selected raws from Capture One in a separate folder and deleting the original raws.

One more question I had about the importing process...I noticed the huge amounts of data in the CO saves folder (imports) which make me believe it basically creates a copy of the raw inside Capture One, of the same size. It doesn't just create a shortcut that it uses to edit on, right? It doubles the amount of internal size you need to both store and edit, since it can't just edit from what you imported without the source file on the hdd, but it still requires the same size.

Just so it's clear, my process is as follows:
1-save to internal hdd from sd card. then also creating a backup of the same on an external hdd.
2-create new session in CO.
3-import raws from above mentioned folder on internal hdd.
4-select the final raws that will be edited.
5-edit those versions.
6-process them, and saving that folder.

My problem was that when I was selecting the best raws. I would have had to then reselect them in the original folder from which I imported, in order to create a backup of only the best ones and not the out of focus, etc. ones.

I hope it will help someone having the same issue. Thanks again!
NNN636871555502644173

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:51 pm

NNN636871555502644173 wrote:One more question I had about the importing process...I noticed the huge amounts of data in the CO saves folder (imports) which make me believe it basically creates a copy of the raw inside Capture One, of the same size. It doesn't just create a shortcut that it uses to edit on, right? It doubles the amount of internal size you need to both store and edit, since it can't just edit from what you imported without the source file on the hdd, but it still requires the same size.

With a Catalog you have to "import" the images but you can choose wether to bring the RAWs into the Catalog folder structure (Managed files) or leave them where they are before you run the import process (Referenced files).

With a session you can Import which will copy the files to wherever you tell it to copy but somewhere in the Session folder structure (the Capture folder or a sub folder under that somewhere) makes sense. That's what I do and take the opportunity to rename the files at the same time and so avoid duplicate file names when working with multiple cameras or as the internal numbering system loops around every 10k images.

Alternatively you can just reference a folder somewhere and use it or, by making a favourite reference in the session, have the session always look for that folder when the session is open.

From my perspective the reason for making a backup is to ensure you have the original files saved somewhere safe should you need to recover from a disaster of some sort. The original memory card is one options up to the point where you need to re-format it and use it again.

If I am travelling I tend to import to a session and copy the card contents to an external drive OR, if renaming on Import, copy the Imported folder with the renamed files to an external drive (or more than one external drive if I think the files may be really significant!)

If I am not travelling (and when using relatively high capacity cards) I tend to just keep the cards until I really need to re-use them at which point I make a copy of the active session to an external drive (these days usually a 2 mirrored disk NAS drive). That gives me a complete (up to that point) back up of the work-in-progress or completed session and releases the cards from backup duty should I need them.

If the session IS still in progress I continue to work on it internally taking decisions about further backing up to the NAS as I go. I'm not too concerned about backing up on a perpetual basis automatically. Taking a very simple approach, having kept everything inside the session (for "project" sessions but not necessarily for experimental sessions) all I do is create a complete copy of the session. If I have made a copy before and this later version is to replace it I tend to make a "Version 2" copy and, once I have confirmed that has all completed successfully, I delete the version 1 copy. Very simplistic but I like to keep it that way as it is fine for my normal needs.

Once one has a backed up session that contains "internal" copies of the files the saved "original files copied from the card" backup can be deleted if necessary.

This works for me without being very sophisticated. Such an approach may no be acceptable to others but it depends on how critical the work is, what sort of workflow one uses and whether other people might be involved in the process.

If your session holds the source files "externally" you would need to manage those files differently since simply copying a session folder structure to another drive would not include the referenced folders. However if you make sure you copy the referenced (Favourites, etc,) folder that would then include the C1 subfolders with the Edit instruction files and the Previews and Thumbnails.

Things may get a little more complicated if you use the same referenced original image folders for use by more than one application.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software