Capture One 12 freezes the whole computer

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x

Capture One 12 freezes the whole computer

Postby NNN636499562226890496 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Hello,

Whenever I try to zoom in or zoom out images in a preview, or use cursor bar to move around within zoomed images, the capture one freezes. Actually, not only the capture one, but the whole computer becomes unresponsive, and I cannot move mouse nor make a keystroke on a keyboard. I have to hard-reset the power to restart the computer.

I cannot reproduce this issue with any other imaging editing software nor any other applications that I use in my computer. Even various online games work fine with my current computer. This problem only happens when I use Capture one pro (for Sony).

The only hardware change that has been made is a monitor. I upgraded from regular old 27in 60hz monitor to 27in 144hz monitor. Unfortunately, I sold off my previous monitor so it is difficult to check if the problem would have existed with the old monitor. (at the time when I used it, it did not have any problem.)

Monitor may not be the root cause of the issue, and this might be happening due to other software updates. It worked fine until 2019/Aug..... I am just bringing that up because that is the only change that has been made in my computer that I can think on top of my head.

1. Has anyone encountered an issue where Capture One makes your whole computer to freeze when you are using it with 144hz monitor?

2. or computer freezes in general without any hardware changes?

I love Capture One and it has been a tremendous tool for me to edit my pictures taken by Sony Camera. But at this moment, I am unable to make any progress on my project...
NNN636499562226890496

Re: Capture One 12 freezes the whole computer

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Purely as an experiment try turning OFF (Setting - "None") Hardware Acceleration in the C1 preferences.

It's the quickest way to attempt to check the influence of the GPU card on what is going one.

Reason: You mention a new monitor and that would be driven by the GPU card so there may be a connection of some sort for your problem. It's worth taking a minute or two to try this test.

Beyond that you may need to look at the Windows Event logs and the C1 Log files to find clues.

One other thing to keep in mind is the possible effect of the screen resolution compared to your existing image preview files.

I would not expect it to hang the system but if you new screen has a different native resolution to the old one there may be significantly more processing to perform when opening a catalog or session in order to make the preview match the default size of the screen.

Finally - with system freezes and crashes the potential for Windows temporary process files and similar to be orphaned and not successfully cleaned from the system by internal housekeeping processes is somewhat higher than usual.

Often this seems to be improved by rebooting the system 2 or 3 times (rather than once) after a crash without starting any applications. You may also have Windows updates in play. There were some recent threads about one particular update causing some problems. (I'm still enjoying WIn7 so the specific Win 10 fix reference number escapes me but there were a couple of threads active here within the last week or so. From memory they may be relevant to your problem.)

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Bobtographer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:16 pm

what happens when you set the refresh to 60?
Bobtographer

Postby NNN636499562226890496 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:14 am

Bobtographer wrote:what happens when you set the refresh to 60?

When I change my refresh rate to 60, the problem still persists.

SFA wrote:Purely as an experiment try turning OFF (Setting - "None") Hardware Acceleration in the C1 preferences.

When you mentioned C1, I thought you were talking about CPU power saving management (C1, C3, C6, etc) config available in motherboard BIOS. (Without knowing that C1 stands for Capture One...lol)

Anyhow, that actually reminded me that I recently re-enabled C3/C6 states for CPU in BIOS, right around at the same time when Capture One stopped working. It was previously disabled due to an annoying buzzing noise issue. I just could not correlate Capture One and CPU power saving management feature on top of my head.

Since I did not want to disable C3/C6 states in BIOS, I proceeded to download the latest BIOS firmware for my motherboard from the manufacturer's website. After updating from motherboard BIOS version from 1.3 to 4.1 (latest), the freeze issue that I have been encountering with Capture one is gone! I can zoom-in and zoom-out on my images all day 24/7.

I am happy that you helped me resolve this issue, and also happy that the root cause of the issue is not Capture One, but my hardware component. I was able to work on hundreds of images last night.

Who knows why Capture One was the only process that was causing my system to freeze, but I am relieved my computer is stronger(?) after updating BIOS and can withstand Capture One.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
NNN636499562226890496

Postby SFA » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:47 am

NNN636499562226890496 wrote:
Bobtographer wrote:what happens when you set the refresh to 60?

When I change my refresh rate to 60, the problem still persists.

SFA wrote:Purely as an experiment try turning OFF (Setting - "None") Hardware Acceleration in the C1 preferences.

When you mentioned C1, I thought you were talking about CPU power saving management (C1, C3, C6, etc) config available in motherboard BIOS. (Without knowing that C1 stands for Capture One...lol)

Anyhow, that actually reminded me that I recently re-enabled C3/C6 states for CPU in BIOS, right around at the same time when Capture One stopped working. It was previously disabled due to an annoying buzzing noise issue. I just could not correlate Capture One and CPU power saving management feature on top of my head.

Since I did not want to disable C3/C6 states in BIOS, I proceeded to download the latest BIOS firmware for my motherboard from the manufacturer's website. After updating from motherboard BIOS version from 1.3 to 4.1 (latest), the freeze issue that I have been encountering with Capture one is gone! I can zoom-in and zoom-out on my images all day 24/7.

I am happy that you helped me resolve this issue, and also happy that the root cause of the issue is not Capture One, but my hardware component. I was able to work on hundreds of images last night.

Who knows why Capture One was the only process that was causing my system to freeze, but I am relieved my computer is stronger(?) after updating BIOS and can withstand Capture One.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Great news!

Not what I would have known to suggest but so many of these things are interrelated. I could imagine something to do with the GPU/driver being an issue after windows updates and given the point at which the failure seemed to occur. However even fixing that via a driver update might have been, in effect, a patch by the driver developer to get around an incompatible BIOS problem.

However if the issue just related to power settings it certainly seems weird but goes to show how the inner complexity of running computers is hidden from the user!

I suspect that the reasons other application where not affected is that either they do not use the particular modules that did not match the BIOS or they use their own controlled releases of certain routines rather than the latest and greatest Windows offerings in order to avoid potential stability issues at the possible cost of taking advantage of new functionality, speed enhancements, etc. Another option would be to ensure random variables - like power settings perhaps - are turned off by the application when it is active overriding system settings in some way.

That sort of strategy was very common with certain widely used components like Java, for example, a few years back.

If a developer was not entirely confident that they could rely on continuity as some important third party software component was developed they would freeze things for their application at a known and acceptable point by installing an earlier version and ignoring whatever the current version might have been updated to on the machine on which the application had been installed.

Eventually, of course, support for the older version would stop and the writers of other parts of their software tool kits would move on to the new version only thus forcing things to change - often with a lot of effort required for no evident functional benefit.

None of that helps when something surprising happens without an hint of a possible connection to a root cause - as in your case.

One of the reasons I have stuck with Win 7 is simply because with so few changes being applied I felt it was likely that its maturity and stability would be an advantage compared to Win 10.

These days Win 10 seems to have some degree of maturity but the way the updates are handled leaves me some cause for concern, though less concern, perhaps, than in the first 2 years or so of its existence.

Anyway, you have your system back and working as needed so all is well.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 12.x Software