Photo Mechanic Integration

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Photo Mechanic Integration

Postby NNN635875593486168478 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Is there any good tutorial on the settings necessary to get Photo Mechanic and Capture One to work together seamlessly?

I'm a tech guy but have made very little progress on this today. Photo Mechanic has some nice presets so that its color ranking scheme and metadata are easily understood when the folder is opened in Capture One. But when I make changes in Capture One they aren't recorded and reflected in Photo Mechanic. I have "Full Sync" on, I've tried every combination of writing an XMP sidecar and writing to the RAW that I can see in preferences. Nothing seems to work.

I feel sorry for the non-technical people out there.
NNN635875593486168478

Re: Photo Mechanic Integration

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:49 am

NNN635875593486168478 wrote:Is there any good tutorial on the settings necessary to get Photo Mechanic and Capture One to work together seamlessly?

I'm a tech guy but have made very little progress on this today. Photo Mechanic has some nice presets so that its color ranking scheme and metadata are easily understood when the folder is opened in Capture One. But when I make changes in Capture One they aren't recorded and reflected in Photo Mechanic. I have "Full Sync" on, I've tried every combination of writing an XMP sidecar and writing to the RAW that I can see in preferences. Nothing seems to work.

I feel sorry for the non-technical people out there.

You probably only want to use Full Sync for some sort of planned batch load.

Bear in mind that C1 will never write to an original file - i.e. a RAW file. Only to the sidecar files it produces for edits.

When it is creating an output file it can write metadata to it of course because it is a new file. But it will never change an existing file.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby OddS » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:22 pm

NNN635875593486168478 wrote:...But when I make changes in Capture One they aren't recorded and reflected in Photo Mechanic.

What kind of image files?
OddS

Postby WPNL » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 am

I' ve seen metadata being synced between Capture One and FastRawViewer, so it should be possible.
Make sure both applications are using the XMP sidecard files.
WPNL

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration