Synchronizing edits across different computers (mac/PC)!!

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Synchronizing edits across different computers (mac/PC)!!

Postby NNN637051946463106582 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:18 pm

I am using Capture One Express (for Sony) on both my Mac laptop when travelling and on my Windows desktop at home. I shoot raw and both computers have a copy of all the photos I take. They both use the same folder structure, so a photo in /.../2019-05-03/ on my macbok will also be available on Windows at "D:\...\2019-05-03". Sometimes when I'm travelling, I'll do edits on my laptop but they won't show up on my desktop since they both have their own separate catalogues. Is there any way to keep the two catalogues synchronized so my edits, keywords, color tags, etc. show up on both?
NNN637051946463106582

Re: Synchronizing edits across different computers (mac/PC)!

Postby Uwe-R-from-Btown » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 pm

I work on Mac only.

I assume you store your files on an external HD?
The only way I could think of to keep it synchronized, if the files are kind of saved as "name-of-your-file.EIP"

If you use exact copies of your images, so that each image exists twice (plus a backup I hope?), one on Mac one on PC (might be the same to PC-PC or Mac-Mac), I don`t think that could be synchronized just by itself.

To work with "name-of-your-file.EIP" this could be done in preferences (in German it is called "Bild") at the tab for "image". Below the "Preview size" -part there´s a "EIP" -part. It looks like this is only available to sessions, though?

You may watch one of these recorded webinars about using sessions, when shooting "on the road".

It may work like this:
1)Shoot and save on the external HD as a session, using "store as EIP at/when importing".
2)Edit your images on the road
3)Import that session to your home-work-station

Of course I am not sure, if that works between PC and Mac. Between Mac-Mac and PC-PC, I am quite sure, it works.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
Uwe
Uwe-R-from-Btown

Postby Uwe-R-from-Btown » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:05 pm

Let me add, that there´s also a page from capture one: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us ... -EIP-files
…, which explains quite more detailed, how working with EIP files is possible. Maybe this helps you as well?

Of course there´s still no automatic synchronising, except you use always the same external HD.
So you "have" only one catalog (apart from the backup, of course) or you keep with sessions on your Mac Laptop and import those to your catalog on PC. This might be the smartest way, I guess.
Of course I do not know, how important it is for you to have some of the work with you, when you are on the road.
Then you would need that external HD with you, where you did some more additional work to your images.
Before it gets too confusing I´m over and out. :D
I hope you got the idea?

Kind Regards,
Uwe
Uwe-R-from-Btown

Postby SFA » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:38 am

EIP could work but it is not a feature that is available in the Express versions.

https://www.captureone.com/en/features/feature-list

The simple answer would be to copy the catalog from one to device to the other or use an eternal drive - subject to a few possible technical constraints enforced by the different technologies of the hardware.

There are some threads in the forum about such concepts and at least a few users having the same requirement - albeit I think most of them use the Pro versions rather than Express. Not sure.

Grant
SFA

Postby Uwe-R-from-Btown » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:29 am

Using Fuji and Nikon, I never was forced to use EXPRESS, it is a pity though, that this feature is not available for Express users. So as written before by now the two of us, use either a session and import this to your catalog at your workstation or use the same catalog on always the same external HD. As shown in some of the recorded webinars, this is not recommended so better go with those sessions. It is indeed very helpful and recommended from my side to watch these webinar(s) first, as the file handling is quite important to be taken care of in advance.

There are quite a few webinars here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJgJWI ... VEQ/videos
In case, some more features are different between the Pro and the Express versions, I recommend to also watch the specific webinars here and mainly (for your OP): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ijJV4CaXk

Kind Regards,
Uwe
Uwe-R-from-Btown

Postby Ian3 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:11 am

But sessions aren't available in Express either, I believe.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:43 am

Uwe-R-from-Btown wrote:Using Fuji and Nikon, I never was forced to use EXPRESS, it is a pity though, that this feature is not available for Express users. So as written before by now the two of us, use either a session and import this to your catalog at your workstation or use the same catalog on always the same external HD. As shown in some of the recorded webinars, this is not recommended so better go with those sessions. It is indeed very helpful and recommended from my side to watch these webinar(s) first, as the file handling is quite important to be taken care of in advance.

There are quite a few webinars here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJgJWI ... VEQ/videos
In case, some more features are different between the Pro and the Express versions, I recommend to also watch the specific webinars here and mainly (for your OP): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ijJV4CaXk

Kind Regards,
Uwe

Uwe,

Bear in mind that the Express version is provided at no charge - specifically for Sony or Fuji users - to provide basic high quality processing options for cameras from those manufacturers. I'm sure all of use would like free software but I doubt it would be available for long.

Also the link I provided above should take people to the Phase web page where the significant differences between Express and Pro versions or listed side by side.

My personal recommendation would be to consider moving to the most suitable Pro version (depending on which cameras one has) and looking at the Session option sionce it is a logical approach for portable computing.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration