One catalogue

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

One catalogue

Postby MikeKG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:30 pm

I am thinking of moving all my catalogues and sessions into 1 main catalogue approx. 30,000 images and counting, I currently have them by year. 2 Questions is C1 stable enough to do this what is a big catalogue and is it a good way to have your pics so you can tag and keyword easier. I do backup so its not that its just the convenience of having all images accessible. Let me know what you think. This is all on a Mac
Mike
MikeKG

Re: One catalogue

Postby Ian3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:35 pm

I have over 30,000 images in one catalog, and it works fine. My usual approach is to start with sessions, and when the session is mostly done, I import the Selects folder into my catalog.

Ian

Edited to add: and my reason for doing it that way rather than just having the sessions is to make it easier to search and organise the whole collection with keywords, etc. So I can, for instance, find images of a particular bird species taken at different times and places.
Last edited by Ian3 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian3

Postby MikeKG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Thanks Ian Im thinking of giving it a try
MikeKG

Postby IanL » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 pm

I am on Windows and have over 60 000 images in my catalogue. Using the all images collection does not perform well the but apparently that is not a problem for the Mac (yes I have an open support case about it - I still owe them some more information). Once it finishes what ever it's doing searching is fast.

I created smart collections for each year I have pictures in the catalogue. That makes a nice way to search for smaller sub sets of images.
IanL

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration