IQ4 and Alpa Camera use

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

IQ4 and Alpa Camera use

Postby David12 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:27 pm

The new IQ4 does not support Alpa cameras without either touching the back to wake it up or using an additional cable and press the button to wake up the back. ZERO LATENCY has been removed. I wish I would have known this prior to upgrade. It's frustrating when a whole camera system is rendering un-usable without adding steps to shooting a single frame. Please put zero latency back. I don't understand why. Now I have to buy new cables because it's 12 and not 8 pin ports.

Please add back zero latency.

For anyone thinking of upgrading to IQ4 and use technical cameras, don't upgrade unless you want to add steps to shooting.

David
David12

Re: IQ4 and Alpa Camera use

Postby steffenjahn » Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 am

Hi David,

I already had this discussion and zero latency will not come back due to high battery usage. Luckily the new 12-pin trigger cable is available from ALPA in the meantime for CHF 390,00... Or you are shooting ES tethered.

https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/sync-cab ... ultipin-12

Cheers - Steffen
steffenjahn

Postby NNN636412665181465179 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Alpa now makes a sync cable (Mk III) that works as a one-shot, almost zero-latency cable for the IQ4:

https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/sync-cab ... ultipin-12

I was able to get a prototype and it works well. The only difference from the IQ3 one-shot cable is that the pressing of the gold button on the sync block has to be slower than before (pressing it over 1 second start-to-finish works well). Alpa lists the cable as "available soon" but I suspect your dealer may already be able to get one.
NNN636412665181465179

Postby Rogerxnz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 pm

I think the user should be able to decide whether to use up power with zero latency or use a wakeup cable or other solution.

Why did P1 take it on itself to not provide this option? With zero latency, would a battery lose all power within 30 minutes?
Rogerxnz

Postby mkphotomedia » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:10 am

I can report that the old-school Kapture Group cable also works great with the IQ4150, if you either a) have the version that terminates in a 2.5mm plug, or b) you cut off the original 8-pin plug--which hurts given how expensive those suckers are--and solder on a 2.5mm plug instead, then connect it to a 2.5mm-12 pin dongle.

Only issue is that the second switch is somewhat poorly debounced, so you have to be pretty smooth when pressing the shutter release. If you're on the ES, pushing the shutter release enough to flip the switch but not enough to fire the shutter also works quite well.
mkphotomedia
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby David12 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:47 pm

steffenjahn wrote:Hi David,

I already had this discussion and zero latency will not come back due to high battery usage. Luckily the new 12-pin trigger cable is available from ALPA in the meantime for CHF 390,00... Or you are shooting ES tethered.

https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/sync-cabling-mk-iii-multipin-12

Cheers - Steffen

The capture integration people told me that the Alpa release won't work. Still dealing with the issue. Got a wake up cable from CI and it doesn't work. Did you find a solution?
David12

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs