Digital Transitions Building Blocks: Apple Scripts

Discussion regarding all scripting related questions
Please DO NOT post to this thread anything that is not directly related to scripting of Capture One.

Digital Transitions Building Blocks: Apple Scripts

Postby james471 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Has anyone purchased this? Seems really expensive!! I'm new to scripting but very interested in using scripts for Capture.

https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/produ ... lescripts/
james471

Re: Digital Transitions Building Blocks: Apple Scripts

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Not I. I expect you will get scripts that are "locked" so you can't even use them for examples.
Eric Nepean

Postby Digital Transitions, Doug » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:Not I. I expect you will get scripts that are "locked" so you can't even use them for examples.

Eric, I can understand why you would expect that. However, it is not the case.

The scripts are fully open and well documented. They are not read-only or run-only, but are fully read-write and include comments/notes to help understand their functionality.

They are specifically conceived and executed as a way to learn to applescript for C1. If you're just getting started with scripting for Capture One they will be very helpful and save you many hours worth of dead ends, especially as AppleScript for C1 is only minimally documented. Even if you've been scripting for C1 for years, I strongly suspect you'll find some of the techniques and tricks used in these scripts will teach you things you didn't otherwise know.
Digital Transitions, Doug
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby james471 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 pm

@Digital Transitions, Doug - I love that you guys are doing this...but the price makes them undesirable! I've spoken with at least a dozen techs here in NYC, including the guys at my local photo house, and everyone has interest in the guide, but no one is willing to pay the absurd amount of money. If you want to get this in the hands of all the underpaid tech's, then make it accessible to them.
james471

Postby Eric Nepean » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Digital Transitions, Doug wrote:
Eric Nepean wrote:Not I. I expect you will get scripts that are "locked" so you can't even use them for examples.

Eric, I can understand why you would expect that. However, it is not the case.

The scripts are fully open and well documented. They are not read-only or run-only, but are fully read-write and include comments/notes to help understand their functionality.

They are specifically conceived and executed as a way to learn to applescript for C1. If you're just getting started with scripting for Capture One they will be very helpful and save you many hours worth of dead ends, especially as AppleScript for C1 is only minimally documented. Even if you've been scripting for C1 for years, I strongly suspect you'll find some of the techniques and tricks used in these scripts will teach you things you didn't otherwise know.

Doug
My comments were based on what I saw in this package sometime ago, I had not realized that you have considerably enhanced it.

It's very commendable that you allow users to look inside.

There are few techniques in there that would be interesting to me, like the hot folders actions and parsing the XML structure in a COS file, but a lot of this stuff I've already done, and I don't see myself buying this because of the cost.

I recall from that time that I got a sample script, it was very simple and the content didn't really twig my interest as I didn't see any optimization for speed and large catalogs in there. But that may well have changed.

But for newbies there could be some good information in there.
Eric Nepean

Postby Digital Transitions, Doug » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback gents. Glad we've made a desirable product :). Please feel free to email me off the forum for a discount code.
Digital Transitions, Doug
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby james471 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:25 am

Thanks Doug, appreciate the offer. I’m trying to find your email but I’m not having any luck. Feel free to reach out, mine is in my signature.

Thank you!
Dustin
james471

Return to Scripting