C-1 Color Different in Photoshop?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

C-1 Color Different in Photoshop?

Postby NN87501 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Can anybody tell me where I can go to get the correct color set up in C-1 and Photoshop to be the same color and contrast. I have been using C-1 for over 10 years and just really noticed lately, a friend I told to use C-1 sent me a comparison side by side of the color rendition in C-1 was different than when opening the outed tiff to photoshop and I was baffled. So I tried it myself and did notice that the image in C-1 was slightly more contrasty and saturated than the same exported image to photoshop is.???
Does anybody have a really good color set up for C-1 and Photoshop so I can get the best color accuracy posible? I usually use Adobe 1998 in both programs but upon opening the tiff in photoshop it is slightly different than viewing it in C-1.
Thanks in advance!!!
Eric
NN87501

Re: C-1 Color Different in Photoshop?

Postby tenmangu81 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:51 pm

If you have a calibrated display and use the same color space/ICC profile in both softwares, you shouldn't have any difference.
I don't have any.
Cheers
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby NN87501 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:50 am

Thanks for your reply. I do have a calibrated display and I can open both images side by side, one in C-1 and the other in Photoshop side by side and there is a slight difference. Like I mentioned, not as much with color but contrast and saturation.
I am not sure if I can post images here but will try to if possible.
Thanks
Eric
PS. Have you ever tried doing this? Open C-1 with the same image and photoshop and do a side by side. You will see the contrast and saturation is slightly different.
NN87501

Postby Michael4811 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:33 pm

it has to due with the color rendering engines / intents
always embed the camera profile c1 and have photoshop manage the icc profile conversion
check photoshops color setting / intents . i would suggest adobe (ace) and a intent of perceptual
Michael4811
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636779493678916138 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:50 am

NN87501 wrote:Can anybody tell me where I can go to get the correct color set up in C-1 and Photoshop to be the same color and contrast. I have been using C-1 for over 10 years and just really noticed lately, a friend I told to use C-1 sent me a comparison side by side of the color rendition in C-1 was different than when opening the outed tiff to photoshop and I was baffled. So I tried it myself and did notice that the image in C-1 was slightly more contrasty and saturated than the same exported image to photoshop is.???
Does anybody have a really good color set up for C-1 and Photoshop so I can get the best color accuracy posible? I usually use Adobe 1998 in both programs but upon opening the tiff in photoshop it is slightly different than viewing it in C-1.
Thanks in advance!!!
Eric

If you have a calibrated display and use the same color space/ICC profile in both softwares, you shouldn't have any difference.
NNN636779493678916138

Postby fotogs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Eric -
Have you gotten any further info on this? I've noticed the same situation. C-1(11) has more red, more saturation and more contrast than the psd in PS.

Over the years, I have greatly increased the amount of adjustments I do in C-1 instead of doing most adjustments in PS and it's kinda frustrating to get an image in C-1 looking the way I want it and then it doesn't look the same in PS.

BTW, although I'm working on a calibrated monitor, it would seem to me that the issue would be same regardless, since both apps are being viewed on the same monitor.

Hoping someone from C-1 would chime in here.

Jeff
Jeff Herbert
HERBERT STUDIOS - USA
Phase One DF+, P65+
Canon 5Ds r
Canon 5D mkIV
fotogs

Postby fotogs » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Some conclusions, so far. Started a PhaseOne support case and they suggested that by viewing the C1 files at 100% in the viewer they should look the same as 100% in PhotoShop. They are correct, the images match.

In the process, I realized that the issue I'm having has to do with the fact that if I compare the full view in C1 compared to 100% in C1, that's where the color and contrast changes. More saturation and contrast at full view, significantly less of both at 100%. Does anyone else here see that on your system?

Upgraded to C1-v12 - no change.

Waiting for more info and (hopefully) a solution from Support.

Jeff
Jeff Herbert
HERBERT STUDIOS - USA
Phase One DF+, P65+
Canon 5Ds r
Canon 5D mkIV
fotogs

Return to Capture One 11.x Software