How to delete a smart album from Recent Captures?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

How to delete a smart album from Recent Captures?

Postby p.vangerven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 pm

I have created two smart albums in Capture One 12.0.2, which ended up in the Recent Captures folder, but I can't find a way to delete them. It's really driving me crazy: If I right-click the folder, the delete option is grayed out. The C1 manual gives no clue about how to remove a smart album (it only says how to create or edit one).

I'm quite sure I'm overseeing something... Can anyone help? Thanks!
Last edited by p.vangerven on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
p.vangerven

Re: How to delete a smart album?

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:00 pm

The option "Delete Smart Album" is not greyed out and works for me.
Did you properly create them ? It doesn't seem normal, indeed, to have them located in the "Recent Captures" folder. Maybe you could try to move them first ?
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby p.vangerven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:13 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:Did you properly create them ? It doesn't seem normal, indeed, to have them located in the "Recent Captures" folder. Maybe you could try to move them first ?
Robert

Thanks for the suggestions! I was indeed surprised to find them in the Recent Captures folder. I have tried to move them multiple times, but they won't (they just "fly" back to the same folder). Where are your smart albums located if I may ask? And are you using version 12.0.2?
p.vangerven

Postby SFA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:19 pm

It may appear as a Smart Album BUT if it is in Recent Captures it is just indicating a groups of photos that you have recently shot (tethered?) or otherwise imported to the system

As I recall the default is to keep the last 10 sets if imported to a catalogue. Not sure about the numbers for tethered captures.

I'm not a catalogue user so I am not familiar with the nuances of operation that you may be experiencing. Hopefully someone who does have such experience will be along shortly to offer further guidance. Ore there may be something in the help file somewhere that i have not already discovered.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby p.vangerven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:18 pm

SFA wrote:It may appear as a Smart Album BUT if it is in Recent Captures it is just indicating a groups of photos that you have recently shot (tethered?) or otherwise imported to the system

Thanks. The thing is that I have never done a tethered session. I was experimenting with smart albums and when I created a few they appeared in Recent Captures, which I found odd. They are now just there and I cannot edit or delete them. It's nothing serious fortunately, but it annoys me nonetheless. :wink:
p.vangerven

Postby SFA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:37 pm

p.vangerven wrote:
SFA wrote:It may appear as a Smart Album BUT if it is in Recent Captures it is just indicating a groups of photos that you have recently shot (tethered?) or otherwise imported to the system

Thanks. The thing is that I have never done a tethered session. I was experimenting with smart albums and when I created a few they appeared in Recent Captures, which I found odd. They are now just there and I cannot edit or delete them. It's nothing serious fortunately, but it annoys me nonetheless. :wink:

OK.

You also get them when importing - from a card for example. Typically they will have the date and time information related to the import session.

I think this has been described in a recent Tutorial or Webinar video but I can't recall where I saw it.

The V12 videos on You Tube have a list of timings for the points discussed so I would start with them - probably one with catalogues somewhere in the subject matter of the title.

Grant
SFA

Postby p.vangerven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks, I'll try!
p.vangerven

Postby p.vangerven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:48 am

I created a new smart album, but now in the User Collections section. This smart album can be edited and deleted. So, it seems that because I accidentally created the earlier two smart albums in the Recent Captures section, they will probably remain there forever because I never shoot tethered. Technically no problem, but still pretty annoying. :?

Would anyone know how to remove the smart albums from the Recent Captures section, e.g., by deleting the corresponding files in the Finder?
p.vangerven

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:09 pm

p.vangerven wrote:I created a new smart album, but now in the User Collections section. This smart album can be edited and deleted. So, it seems that because I accidentally created the earlier two smart albums in the Recent Captures section, they will probably remain there forever because I never shoot tethered. Technically no problem, but still pretty annoying. :?

Would anyone know how to remove the smart albums from the Recent Captures section, e.g., by deleting the corresponding files in the Finder?

I think, in your example, the smart albums are simply creations that find all the images imported in a batch at a specific time. That is an automatic function of the import process. It is, basically, a virtual collection based on a specific search criterion. They are provided simply for convenience in the event that you can use them for, by way of example, tagging with certain values or keywords maybe, or renaming the files in the case that they were selected based on content or as a group related to a specific event or moment. That sort of thing.

Recent Capture is itself a somewhat virtual label offered as an aid to the import process for Asset Management ingestion.

That said if you have not used Tethering but have use Import I would expect the imported files batch to be reported under "Recent Imports" rather than "Recent Captures".

I'm not sure why you see it as such an annoying feature but if you don't need to use it just ignore it. If you un-expand the "Recent ...." folders (either Captures or Imports) you will not see the individual entries for the various import batches.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Re: How to delete a smart album from Recent Captures?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:54 pm

If it is what you describe, a Smart Album (=User Collection) listed under the Catalog Collections section in the Library, then there is something wrong with your catalog database.

My first action would be to do a verification (File menu, Verify...).
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: How to delete a smart album from Recent Captures?

Postby p.vangerven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think the problem is just that I created the smart albums, which I edited and gave specific names myself, in the wrong section of the library. I also let C1 perform a Verify procedure, but this didn't resolve the problem. C1 just doesn't allow smart albums to be removed from the Recent Captures section it seems. Strange but true.
p.vangerven

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac