Keystone Tool Gives Incorrect Results

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Windows

Keystone Tool Gives Incorrect Results

Postby LarryH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:24 am

It seems like there is some problem with either the implementation of the keystone tool in v12.0.0 or I'm not understanding some aspect of the proper way to use the tools. For example, the "Keystone Vertical" will create a transformation after applying carefully placed control lines, but it isn't correct. The verticals aren't vertical.

I've taken to the timely process of doing all other corrections in Capture One and then creating a tif output which I bring into DxO Viewpoint (DxO doesn't support non-bayer Fujifilm cameras). More often than not, the "Auto" function just does the right thing, or I'll place control lines as I tried in Capture One and it will correctly transform the image. I then create another new tif and bring it back into Capture One before processing other outputs.

Anyone else seeing this same issue?
LarryH

Re: Keystone Tool Gives Incorrect Results

Postby Ian3 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 am

If you apply the keystone tool by aligning the guides with edges that should be vertical, the press Apply, then look at the result in the keystone tool, you will probably see 80 in the Amount field. This is because Capture One adjusts it by default to 80% of the full amount on the grounds that it actually looks more natural than adjusting all the way to 100%. If you want it to be 100%, you can change that field to 100. I'm not sure whether you can make this the default behaviour in some way.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:27 am

Ian3 wrote:(...)
I'm not sure whether you can make this the default behaviour in some way.

Unfortunately, you can not predefine the Amount to another value then 80%.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby LarryH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks for the answer. I think their decision to implement in this way (80% non changeable default) is full of assumptions that should be left to the user whether they want less then the full amount. DxO Viewpoint allows you to choose the amount of correction via a slider as does Capture One, but the default is 100%. I'd really like to see Capture One implement a keystone tool with at least some of the other intelligence and functionality of Viewpoint (or via magic between competing companies) allow Viewpoint as a plug-in.
LarryH

Postby NN635877107753174470UL » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Lightroom gives some impressive results as well using auto/intelligent controls. Would also like to see this tool developed more in Capture One.
NN635877107753174470UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:55 am

NN635877107753174470UL wrote:Lightroom gives some impressive results as well using auto/intelligent controls. Would also like to see this tool developed more in Capture One.

Makes sense. You could make a feature request in a support case.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Windows