Blurry thumbnails useless and frustrating!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: Blurry thumbnails useless and frustrating!

Postby Emile » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:26 pm

NNN636681449274465414 wrote:I am tempted to go back to Adobe softwares...

While the thumbnails in Lr might be better, you’d get a problem with the previews in return:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photosho ... n-previews

I posted that problem 8 months ago, it got acknowledged within days and since nothing has been done about it. Beware what you wish for!

My workflow combines Photo Mechanic for quick culling, rating and captioning and C1 for everything else. This workflow saved a significant amount of time post-processing compared to doing everything in Lr. When your event ends at 11pm and the client wants your images by 9am, going to bed at 2am instead of 3am is major especially if you need to catch a plane at 9:30am. (In a nutshell the reason why I quit event photography - I was getting too old for the accompanying lifestyle :lol: )
Fujifilm, Mac, Capture One user since v3.0
Emile

Postby NNN636681449274465414 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Emile wrote:
NNN636681449274465414 wrote:I am tempted to go back to Adobe softwares...

My workflow combines Photo Mechanic for quick culling, rating and captioning and C1 for everything else. This workflow saved a significant amount of time post-processing compared to doing everything in Lr. When your event ends at 11pm and the client wants your images by 9am, going to bed at 2am instead of 3am is major especially if you need to catch a plane at 9:30am. (In a nutshell the reason why I quit event photography - I was getting too old for the accompanying lifestyle :lol: )

Interesting!
Very tempted to try out Photo Mecanic for culling and rating then!
One important question though, will be the filters (such as rating, color labelling, etc) applied in Photo Mecanic be read and displayed properly by C1?
NNN636681449274465414

Postby Emile » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:16 pm

NNN636681449274465414 wrote:One important question though, will be the filters (such as rating, color labelling, etc) applied in Photo Mecanic be read and displayed properly by C1?

Yes! If you start using (or trialing) Photo Mechanic, make sure to enable 'Synchronize Color Class with IPTC/XMP Urgency field' in Preferences->General. At the same preference tab you can alter the colors associated with the color labels to match C1.
Fujifilm, Mac, Capture One user since v3.0
Emile

Postby NNN636798430406992977 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 am

Zipfelkunst wrote:Hi there,

i have the same problem and in my opinion it is a bug. In an earlier post already it was discussed.

Yes, the software in this condition is useless for culling, rating and so on.
Now I continue to work with Lightroom until the problem is solved. Because there I don't always have the feeling that I have to put on reading glasses.

Well, it's annoying that Phase One doesn't provide a statement. In any case, it would be helpful.

Best greetings
Bernd

I agree. It’s disappointing that fix has still not arrived for what is (in my opinion) a serious issue.
NNN636798430406992977

Postby Jiminy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 pm

I am experiencing the same issues on Windows 10 with latest Capture One 12.0.1.
I cull by using the Viewer in Zoom-to-fit mode and then cycling through the images with cursor keys
The 2 main problems I have are:
(1) Images are quite soft when zoomed to fit - I cannot determine if an image is a keeper or not at this zoom level. Zoom in to 100% and the image is sharp.
(2) Advancing through images regularly takes up to 1sec to fully render each image. I get the spinning wheel for a noticeable amount of time. This really increase culling time.

My machine is quite high-powered: Ryzen 7 2700X (8-core/16-threads @ 4.3GHz) 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX-1050ti GPU, SSD.
Yet the CPU utilization is regularly over 80% on all cores just flicking through images (no image processing active).

I have tried all sorts of Preview sizes but nothing helps.
Jiminy

Postby NNN636798430406992977 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Jiminy wrote:I have tried all sorts of Preview sizes but nothing helps.

I found this article from 2017 that talks about the preview problem and gives a workaround.

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotograph ... -around-it

Use “Proofing”. I did what the article suggests and on some photos the difference between the preview and an export (viewed through proofing) is alarming! I dread to think how many photos I have rejected unnecessarily.
NNN636798430406992977

Postby hendrik_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:26 pm

NNN636681449274465414 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have a very frustrating issue with C1: all my thumbnails are really blurry and it affects severely my workflow ... it's impossible to do the culling, selecting and rating. Just to clarify, I am not talking about the previews (for which you can specify the default size) but the the many photos that you see when you hide the browser and the viewer space is replaced by a grid of many photos (the thumbnails!).

The issue is especially visible when the thumbnails are set to the largest size with the browser hidden.

I have tried to turn off and on the OpenCL and no change. Same with regenerating the previews (I tried that just in case).
The issue is present when looking at my MacBook Pro monitor but also when the Mac is connected to an external monitor...

I am used with LR which shows perfect thumbnails which are usable for editing and culling.
Please load the following photos in their full resolution to appreciate the difference.

This is a screenshot of the thumbnails in C1:

This is a screenshot of the thumbnails in LR:

Is there something wrong with m machine or is it normal??

I had a look at the images of the screenshots you attached above and noticed something very odd:
In the screenshot of C1 the filenames below the thumbnails are very blurry too, if I make a screenshot using Apple's Screenshot the text is razor sharp. It is hardly possible to judge the unsharpness of your thumbnails from your attached screenshot.

Have you tried to regenerate the previews (in Menu Image)? I noticed a difference in speed compared to C1-11

Henk
hendrik_p

Postby dale11833 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm

NNN636681449274465414 wrote:Agreed, there is a huge difference in thumbnails quality between LR and C1... LR provides usable thumbnails whereas C1 ones are totally useless. I have also sent a comparison image to the support team, let's hope they at least acknowledge the issue.

Don't know about windows, but in MacOs the issue is very very very visible and annoying, which is a shame as I love C1 otherwise. I am tempted to go back to Adobe softwares...

C1 does have usable thumbnails that you can quickproof process. Why would you wait all that time for LR to generate 1:1 previews. What a waste of time.
dale11833

Postby Zipfelkunst » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:15 am

The problem still exists with 12.0.2
Has another affected colleague meanwhile received a solution?
Zipfelkunst

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:48 am

Why has nobody mentioned using the Focus tool as part of their image assessment via the browser window?

Or the Loupe tool?

The Thumbnails are usually very small files really only intended to be used to provide a quick way to identify and select images for preview viewing when there are many images from which to select. A few kilobytes of data, nothing more.

There are other options for undertaking full assessment of the image quality once the general selection has been made.

To be really picky even the Preview will most likely not be enough since so much data will have been discarded to make it smaller for reasons of storage and speed of loading.

Sharpness is something of an illusion but if you think the previews look 'soft' then 'fix' that by applying extra sharpening during import (if you import). It's one way of attempting to show what is possible with the image even though you will most probably process it differently by the time you have finished - especially if you want both screen and printed versions of the image in different sizes.

Grant
SFA

Postby Zipfelkunst » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Grant,

in all other programs like photomechanics or lightroom the thumbnails show a normal and usable sharpness and speed is ok too.
I suppose it is a bug that you probably don't see on your screen and didn't occur in earlier versions.

Bernd

SFA wrote:Why has nobody mentioned using the Focus tool as part of their image assessment via the browser window?

Or the Loupe tool?

The Thumbnails are usually very small files really only intended to be used to provide a quick way to identify and select images for preview viewing when there are many images from which to select. A few kilobytes of data, nothing more.

There are other options for undertaking full assessment of the image quality once the general selection has been made.

To be really picky even the Preview will most likely not be enough since so much data will have been discarded to make it smaller for reasons of storage and speed of loading.

Sharpness is something of an illusion but if you think the previews look 'soft' then 'fix' that by applying extra sharpening during import (if you import). It's one way of attempting to show what is possible with the image even though you will most probably process it differently by the time you have finished - especially if you want both screen and printed versions of the image in different sizes.

Grant
Zipfelkunst

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm

Zipfelkunst wrote:Hi Grant,

in all other programs like photomechanics or lightroom the thumbnails show a normal and usable sharpness and speed is ok too.
I suppose it is a bug that you probably don't see on your screen and didn't occur in earlier versions.

Bernd

Maybe so but nevertheless the use of the Focus tool or Loupe would surely provide a useful benefit anyway would it not?

And an available answer to the assessment problem?

Grant
SFA

Previous

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac