lens correction

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: lens correction

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Great to hear Bob!

I have seen more issues with opening images with older adjustments. The release notes state that you best open them with CO8 first and so on...

What you could do with your legacy of images with older adjustments, is that you create a new variant. This will probably also select the correct lens correction. Next, you apply all adjustments (except for lens correction) from the 'original' to the new variant.

Not something for large volumes, I know. More like a thought of how you can trick Capture One.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby picman2 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 pm

As you say, a good trick for single photos, but I'll just open the older sessions with an older version of C1 when needed. It would be quite a job to handle all my older sessions.
picman2

Postby AlexJ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:22 pm

I can confirm teh problem, only "Generic" profile for a lot of my images. When present, others have the "manufacturer" profile selected.

I wanted to change the profile by selecting all the images taken with one lens and then "bulk edit" it. But the profile is only changed for the first selcted image, althoug "edit all selected images" is selected.

I a m quite new to Capture One and could not figure out, if it is at all possible to change the profile in several images at once. Am I missing something or might this be another bug? Might there be any other way, e.g. using Apple Script?

Thanks for your help!
Alex
AlexJ

Postby SFA » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:55 am

Alex,

Are you selectiing all of the images you want to change, setting "Edit all variants" and then making the Profile Change on the currently selected Primary variant?

If so that is not the way I would expect it to work due to the potentially extreme processing overhead as all of the images are recalculated in real time.

If you use the copy settings option in the tool AFTER you have changed the Profile for the current variant, you should be presented with a clipboard selection for the values related to the Lens tool.

Tick the options that you wish to apply from the current image to all of the others selected and then 'Apply'. Be sure to have the "Edit all selected variants" setting active if you are sure you want to apply to all.

If you are already doing that but not seeing the changes applied then I suggest that you create a Support Case and ask for advice about what to expect.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby AlexJ » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi Grant,

thanks for your help!

Are you selectiing all of the images you want to change, setting "Edit all variants" and then making the Profile Change on the currently selected Primary variant?

Yes, that was indeed what I was trying to do.

Copying the settings, as you suggest seems to work. I have to try that out a bit more to be sure, that correction is newly calculated for the images the lens profile setting are copied to. This seems to be the case, when only the lens profile and no other settings of this dialog is selected.

That saved me a lot of work!

Alex
AlexJ

Postby SFA » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm

AlexJ wrote:Hi Grant,

thanks for your help!

Yes, that was indeed what I was trying to do.

Copying the settings, as you suggest seems to work. I have to try that out a bit more to be sure, that correction is newly calculated for the images the lens profile setting are copied to. This seems to be the case, when only the lens profile and no other settings of this dialog is selected.

That saved me a lot of work!

Alex

Alex,

In theory lens correction (the visual 'creates a crop' sort) is likely to be more visible for wider angle lenses and the wider end of zoom lenses.

For zooms the amount of adjustment will often vary according to focal length. (Other things may be adjusted but for testing whether the concept is working to your expectations the focal length adjustments are probably the most visible instant check.)

So if you have a zoom and shoot some test shots at different lengths that might be the quickest and easiest basic test of concept.

In my experiences the wide to long zooms (for example 24-105mm equivalents on SLRs and pocket cameras to take simple examples) show correction crops from 24mm up to around 50mm or maybe 60mm but anything after that is usually much less obvious.

However, if you are using a system that has been designed for lens that take into account software based corrections from the first stages of design the effects may be different.

And of course distortion is not the only sort of correction that may be applied.

Enjoy your investigation!

Grant
SFA

Postby wrgrimes » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:29 am

An aside on the same topic- I have C1 Pro v12.0.1. The only Fuji lenses listed are GF lenses for the medium format cameras. The X100 is listed. None of the GFX lenses are listed. Is this true for everyone?
wrgrimes

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:51 am

wrgrimes wrote:An aside on the same topic- I have C1 Pro v12.0.1. The only Fuji lenses listed are GF lenses for the medium format cameras. The X100 is listed. None of the GFX lenses are listed. Is this true for everyone?

The Release Notes suggest this is the case.

I would imagine that Fuji are currently happy to support their built in profiles and see no need to expect the Phase team to re-profile Fujifilm lenses.

Whether this will change in the future remains to be seen but I would guess that

Do you feel that the built in adjustments are inadequate?
SFA

Postby wrgrimes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:53 am

Please enlighten me. I know Fuji builds lens correction into the JPG’s. Am I understanding correctly that in RAW the Generic Fuji is incorporating the built in Fuji lens specific profile and the listed lens profiles are PhaseOne add on’s? In Lightroom there is a message that the Fuji lens profile is in use.
wrgrimes

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 pm

wrgrimes wrote:Please enlighten me. I know Fuji builds lens correction into the JPG’s. Am I understanding correctly that in RAW the Generic Fuji is incorporating the built in Fuji lens specific profile and the listed lens profiles are PhaseOne add on’s? In Lightroom there is a message that the Fuji lens profile is in use.

You will need to ask the Phase team.

As I recall there was a post on a thread a few weeks back that covered part some of this information but evolving a search to find it might be tricky as it was part of a wider subject (I think.)

I'm not a Fuji user so these things are, at the moment, of passing interest to me not something I would bookmark for repeated reference.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby David532 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 pm

wrgrimes wrote:Please enlighten me. I know Fuji builds lens correction into the JPG’s. Am I understanding correctly that in RAW the Generic Fuji is incorporating the built in Fuji lens specific profile and the listed lens profiles are PhaseOne add on’s? In Lightroom there is a message that the Fuji lens profile is in use.

First you must understand that some Fuji X lenses are so well optically corrected that they do not need any software correction for distortion. Where necessary the lens distortion data is recorded in the metadata in the .raf file and this is read by Capture One. Where Capture One is using the manufacturers profile this is indicated in the lens correction tab by "Manufacturers Profile" being automatically selected in the Profile drop down. Where optical correction is adequate (the 23mm f/1.4 for instance) the distortion slider is not active, where distortion correction is required (the 18mm f/2 for instance) the distortion slider is active at the nominal setting of 100%, slide it to 0% and you can see what the manufacturers setting is doing for you.
David532

Postby wrgrimes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Now I’m enlightened, thanks.
wrgrimes

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:03 pm

picman2 wrote:Paul, that was a great suggestion. I tried it with 3 older sessions. Created new sessions on another disk, made copies of the folders with pictures, removed the old capture folder with data in it, opened the folders with pictures in the new sessions: all works perfectly, all the right lens corrections. Whereas when I simply opened the old sessions with v12 it was almost always generic lens correction. Maybe I should inform support of this.

I should point out that this was with files all from my A900. With the more recent files from the A7RII it seemed to be OK.

Thanks! Cheers, Bob.

Which engine (C1 version) were the image edits in the old sessions using?

Grant
SFA

Postby picman2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:20 pm

SFA wrote:
picman2 wrote:Paul, that was a great suggestion. I tried it with 3 older sessions. Created new sessions on another disk, made copies of the folders with pictures, removed the old capture folder with data in it, opened the folders with pictures in the new sessions: all works perfectly, all the right lens corrections. Whereas when I simply opened the old sessions with v12 it was almost always generic lens correction. Maybe I should inform support of this.

I should point out that this was with files all from my A900. With the more recent files from the A7RII it seemed to be OK.

Thanks! Cheers, Bob.

Grant

It were various versions, mostly ranging from v9 to v11, and an odd one v7.
picman2

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

picman2 wrote:
SFA wrote:

Thanks! Cheers, Bob.

Grant

It were various versions, mostly ranging from v9 to v11, and an odd one v7.

Did you try updating the Engine version for the image?

(If you do you may find that some images looks a bit different. especially from the older engines. You could create a variant first if you wished to compare.)
SFA

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac