Sharpening in C1

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Sharpening in C1

Postby Adam172 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi,
Is 'high pass filter" available in C1?
How do I blur background using C1?
I'm kind of new to C1 and couldn't find answer to my question in user manual or Sascha Erni book.
Thank you very much for all help.
Adam172

Re: Sharpening in C1

Postby Ian3 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 pm

There is no "high pass filter" feature in Capture One.

Also for blurring background, there is nothing like Gaussian blur. The nearest you can get is to select the background areas you want and reduce sharpening and reduce structure.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Adam172 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 pm

Thank you!
Very limited possibilities then.
Adam172

Postby Ian3 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:03 am

I believe that is similar to other raw converters. I think in Lightroom too, if you want to use a high pass filter you’d have to export to Photoshop.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Class A » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 am

Ian3 wrote:The nearest you can get is to select the background areas you want and reduce sharpening and reduce structure.

Reducing "Clarity" can also be an option sometimes.
Class A

Postby cdc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:53 am

Adam172 wrote:Thank you!
Very limited possibilities then.

And if you expected photoshop to do tethered capture you would find limited possibilities there as well.
They are not alternatives for one another.
cdc

Postby Adam172 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:30 pm

I guess you're right. No app can do it all.
Thank you!
Adam172

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Ian3 wrote:I believe that is similar to other raw converters. I think in Lightroom too, if you want to use a high pass filter you’d have to export to Photoshop.

But Lightroom does provide a fantastic deconvolution sharpening ability - and of course, the excellent sharpening mask function, both really useful tools sorely lacking from Capture One...
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:But Lightroom does provide a fantastic deconvolution sharpening ability - and of course, the excellent sharpening mask function, both really useful tools sorely lacking from Capture One...

What about the Diffraction Correction in Capture One's Lens Correction tool. How does it compare to deconvolution sharpening in Lr in your opinion?
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:28 pm

It's OK, but significantly limited in comparison, Paul - it might be based on deconvolution, but it has a different purpose than the Lr deconvolution option; and is something of a one-trick pony, intended primarily to correct for a lack of sharpness in the lens caused by small apertures.

Crucially, it has an overall effect on the image.

The great thing about Lr deconvolution - used in conjunction with the sharpening mask - is that it is superb at selectively extracting fine detail and texture (from feathers, for example - remember that I'm a bird photographer); and is infinitely variable in terms of the amount of sharpening and detail extraction it can provide; and the targeting of its effect.

I should also point out that I never shoot at diffraction-limited apertures - I'm a natural light photographer, and I use lenses which are very sharp wide open. So the Capture One solution doesn't solve anything for me, whereas I can always benefit from targeted sharpening where I want it.

And by way of further disclosure, it is a long time since I used Capture One as my primary converter (sick of wrestling with its fluorescent colours); and I no longer use LightRoom at all. Image quality is my absolute priority, so Photo Ninja is my go-to converter. It's so good at rendering detail at the demosaicing stage that I often turn sharpening off (note that it has behind-the-scenes edge-aware sharpness masking should I use the sharpening tool), and apply such selective sharpening as I need with Topaz Detail running as a plug-in to my pixel editor of choice.

But the fact still remains that Lr compares very favourably with Capture One in terms of the range and effectiveness of its sharpening capabilities, and I like to see balance in such discussions...
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks for your balance overview, and yes, I recall that you are birds photography. :wink:
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 11.x Software