multiple camera tether?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

multiple camera tether?

Postby ewax1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi All,
Is it possible to tether 2 cameras to one computer with Capture One?
I need to shoot something from 2 camera positions, and I would love to be able to do it close to the same time. They do not need to be shot simultaneously. I would be ok with firing one then the other. My question is more- can Capture One recognize 2 cameras and receive files if 2 are plugged in?
Thanks for your thoughts.
ewax1

Re: multiple camera tether?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Never tried or tested it. What I learned is that it is possible as long as you use different interfaces, say one with USB, one with Firewire.

Since most cameras use USB, this could be a deal breaker.

But if you have both cameras at your disposal and if you have two cables, you could try. In the Camera tool you can switch between cameras.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby ewax1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:24 pm

I don't have 2 of the same cameras on hand (only 1 Canon and 1 Nikon), but what I understand from your answer is that it would NOT be possible to attach 2 Nikon DSLRs because they both use USB.
Do you know If I could loop one camera through an external Thunderbolt harddrive?
That would create the second unique interface... Does anyone have experience doing this?
Thank you for your answer and ideas.
ewax1

Postby ewax1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:26 am

Phase One got back to me and stated that it is possible to connect two cameras, but not in the same session. So it seems the work-around is to have 2 sessions open- one for each camera. If anyone tries it out, please post your experiences.
Thanks in advance. I will give it a try when I can get a second Nikon in house.
ewax1

Postby cdc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 am

You can connect multiple camera's to one session but with v11 you can not connect two of the same camera. For example if you have two 5DmkIII's it will not work, but if you have a 5D and a 7D it will work. They can both be connected using USB and you'd select the camera you want to use with the drop down menu of the camera tool.

With v12 they made it so you can use multiple camera's of the same type. I've shot with three 5DmkIII's connected to one session using v12.

Furthermore you can setup a script to automate the process of firing & switching between the multiple cameras.
cdc

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Awesome! Thanks cdc!
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 11.x Software