Are you serious about update price politic??

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO For Sony / Fujifilm, Capture One DB and Capture One Express For Sony / For Fujifilm 12.x for Mac

Re: Are you serious about update price politic??

Postby Whitesnake » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:15 am

C1 is worth every penny. I started with C1 v10 and my workflow got so much faster and my picture editing improved a lot. I don't mind paying more for something which has more value than other products. So the comparison to Apple isn't fair at all.
Whitesnake

Postby detroitechno » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:27 am

I finally purchased a Fuji GFX *because* of Capture One support.

I upgraded from the Sony version to the PRO version on November 1st (29 days ago).

There are several issues I need fixed like the fact that I can't operate the camera with live view activated in C1 as well as the ability to control the camera with Capture Pilot. These will never be fixed in V11 because of V12.

It says my license *cannot* be upgraded.

"None of your licenses can be upgraded."

I've filed a support case...

I'd be incredibly angry if they made me pay full price after upgrading 29 days ago.
detroitechno

Postby HansB » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 am

detroitechno wrote:I finally purchased a Fuji GFX *because* of Capture One support.

I upgraded from the Sony version to the PRO version on November 1st (29 days ago).

There are several issues I need fixed like the fact that I can't operate the camera with live view activated in C1 as well as the ability to control the camera with Capture Pilot. These will never be fixed in V11 because of V12.

It says my license *cannot* be upgraded.

"None of your licenses can be upgraded."

I've filed a support case...

I'd be incredibly angry if they made me pay full price after upgrading 29 days ago.

Tried your upgraded licence in v12? It could have been upgraded automatically for the grace period. If so, there is indeed no license that can be upgraded.
HansB

Postby detroitechno » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:46 am

HansB wrote:Tried your upgraded licence in v12? It could have been upgraded automatically for the grace period. If so, there is indeed no license that can be upgraded.

Holy smokes! That worked! I put in my V11 license and it activated. Again, it was only 29 days ago.

Crisis averted!

Thanks for the info HansB!!!
detroitechno

Postby NN636073766094564626UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:05 am

I thought by switching to Capture One Pro (I started from Version 9) was a smart move as compared to continued living with the "dark side". Heck I even upgraded to Version 11 for continuity. This release of Version 12 and the asking price for the upgrade is just plain ridiculous and outrageous Phase One! Be fair to your Users.
NN636073766094564626UL

Postby NN636271034717228928UL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 pm

I ranted about this last version , there is no feedback from Phase One.
My guess is their strategy is to ignore and let us steam off here.

It is sad, but they get into Adobe mode.... I have moved my workflow back to LR, I
Pay there consinderably less for much much more. Even if I hate the subscription model.

Many photographers I know moved back. Adobe keeps the price attractive.
NN636271034717228928UL

Postby joseph92 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:38 pm

About the price for the upgrade, If Phase One consider that they have the market to sustain such an increase without loosing their customers, well that’s their choice, no argument about that. I’m pretty sure that they have figured it out pretty well.

What is not fair to their customers is that those who decided not to upgrade (may be waiting for v13) might feel trap very quickly, simply by upgrading their operating system or buying a recent camera (Nikon Z for instance). A fair gesture would be to avoid technical obsolescence by providing upgrade for pervious releases (at least v-1) to keep up with new OS, new cameras or even fixing old bugs. Unfortunately I don’t see it on P1 roadmap :-(

This problem become more evident with a major release out every year.

Apple provide technical upgrade for previous Mac OS (at least for awhile), even Windows XP was patched long after its replacement. I know a few software editors who do the same.

Yes that’s cost money, so what. C1 cost us a lot to begin with.
joseph92

Postby PPP » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:04 pm

photoGrant wrote:The biggest insult is not including camera support, or bug fixes for the previous releases. With this pricing at least the previous version or two should see the same bug fixes and camera support as the latest version.
Either way, each year the harp of confused and upset customers rings louder.

Thank you photoGrant, perfectly resumed. A shame indeed.
Capture One 11 • (Media Pro 2.1.0.161/let's forget) • Canon 5D MarkII, Mac with Sierra (10.12.6).
PPP

Postby DAndison » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:53 pm

I've upgraded this year and do like what they've done. That said, I also have LR CC (which I don't use at the moment) so I think I will set it up and create a 2019 catalogue to see how it fairs. If it works out ok and Phase one add another 30-50% increase then that will be that. I don't mind paying my way but I don't want to be seen as a cash cow and for them to take the P out of me.

The telling point now is that the upgrade now costs more than LR and PS together. While it would mean having to re-learn LR after many years away from it, it is becoming the sensible choice given it is now cheaper and more capable option.
DAndison

Postby lightrack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I got an email "Introducing Capture One 12" like many others and clicking on a link below "We offer special upgrade prices for all existing Capture One users" I expected to see something like €70-100 :) Unfortunately, the price is €179 (for CO10 users). Well, photography is just a hobby for me and this is too much I guess. I was a loyal CO user since 2008 when I bought CO4. I have CO4, CO6, CO7, CO8 and CO10 licenses. I really like CO, this is a great tool, but I cannot afford it now.
lightrack

Postby ChrisM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:35 pm

The upgrade price is also getting too much for me. I skipped v11, reasoning that you can skip a version and still have an agreeable upgrade price, but when I log in, I get a 179,- euros upgrade price v10 to v12. It would have been acceptable if support was top notch, but bugs that I opened support cases for are unadressed in v12, the lens profile for the Loxia 25 that I opened a support case for 5 months ago is nowhere to be seen. And on top of that, Phase One simply omits high end cameras like the Pentax K1mkII (released 8 months ago) from support.
To have to pay 179,- euros for a years' usage of software with support like that is just not an option for me. I saw this coming though last year, when the same uproar started over the price rise, so I have started getting familiar with Lightroom CC classic and it seems just as good as CO1 nowadays, but with much better support for new cameras and lenses.

Chris
ChrisM

Postby thedoctor007 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:15 pm

I am going to reply again. I have scene a lot of photographers talking about how the prices are to high which I agree and yes it said when you opened up the Sony express program you would get a better price to upgrade which didn't happen you had to pay full price. I sent a email to C1 and the response was among other things that yeah it kind o says that but there is no special pricing even though it said there was. I have been a photographer for many years, I am now disabled with a neck and back injury, arthritis in my hands and I am on social security so I don't have a lot of money to pay the new pricing. I am still out there shooting and know they probably do not even read these posts or just ignore them, I guess I might have to start looking at programs like On1 RAW 2019 with a lot lower price forget stuck going back to ps(dont really want to). I am not a troll so this semi rant is just how I feel and my situation. To tell me that I can get an upgrade for 119.00 and then the next day the price jumps up to 189. or such plus or if you try to buy just last version 11 you can't it sends you right to v12.
I understand about r&d, I understand cost factors but this doesn't make sense this is just more profit my opinion.
If anyone else wants to tell me that I am off base with this that's fine I am a good listener but evertone situation is a little different.
thedoctor007

Postby Y81 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Pro tip! Get Capture One Pro during Black Friday / Cyber Monday and add a 10% discount code. Comes with a free upgrade to the next version too. Though it's a little late now. For next year!
Y81

Postby ShaneB » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:13 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Phase One dropped the price of capture One by say a third, they'd make more money.

The cheaper the product, the more people would buy it - and the increased sales would more than compensate for reduced profit per sale.

There are a lot of people out there looking for an alternative to LR. Phase One could scoop up most of them if they'd just get their pricing right.
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB

Postby Emile » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:45 am

ShaneB wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Phase One dropped the price of capture One by say a third, they'd make more money.

The cheaper the product, the more people would buy it - and the increased sales would more than compensate for reduced profit per sale.

There are a lot of people out there looking for an alternative to LR. Phase One could scoop up most of them if they'd just get their pricing right.

The question is if they’re interested. I think the “Pro” in “Capture One Pro” is a dead giveaway. I used to be a pro event photographer and frankly if I had to worry about $30 or $50 more for my main software I’d have been a pretty lousy photographer, seeing a single day event grossed *at least* $1000.

For the masses shooting Sony or Fuji, Phase One provides a free version. That’s a pretty good offer that Adobe can’t match.

And if they were to go after Adobe, they’d probably have to triple their support staff. Including office space etc., the cost of that is not trivial. It would completely change their organization and focus. I can totally comprehend it if they’re unwilling to do that. Being a bit of a niche player isn’t that bad.

Lastly, we’re all mostly here because we either think Capture One is a superior product or because we simply dislike Adobe’s business model. That means we’re probably biased. I know many people who don’t share those beliefs and are perfectly happy with Adobe. It might just be that the market of people craving to switch is less vast than we presume it to be.

I really don’t know Phase One's point of view; I understand your reasoning. It’s just that there are other options for them to consider and wether we like it or not, they might even make sense for them. I do hope though that next year we'll be anticipating new features more than dreading new price hikes.
Fujifilm, Mac, Capture One user since v3.0
Emile

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 12.x Software for Mac