Organizing files with Catalog and Session

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Organizing files with Catalog and Session

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Im still having a decision about organizing files with either Catalog or Session.

Currently, Im using sessions to organize all files. Previously, I used Catalog to put all files within one catalog. The reason of using sessions instead of the catalog is that I dont need to backup catalog and its set up but within one folder and can prevent performance being slow due to its size.

However, using sessions seem to be complicated these days that I can not access all files in 2018 that I have to select each session to open and export. Im quite missing catalog features but 2 reasons that I mentioned made me not to.

I would need to get advice and suggestion toward organizing files as a professional photographer or otherwise, it might be too messy to control and export files.
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Organizing files with Catalog and Session

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Shoot to sessions. New session for every shoot. When all is said and done, import the remaining images into a catalog. Do not mess around with the catalog other then that. This way you will be eternally happy. Best of both worlds. :)
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Shoot to sessions. New session for every shoot. When all is said and done, import the remaining images into a catalog. Do not mess around with the catalog other then that. This way you will be eternally happy. Best of both worlds. :)

Am I able to keep both sessions and catalogs? If I import sessions to catalog, does it allow to sync all edits from either sessions or catalog?
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ian3 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 am

NN635412303032341950UL wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Shoot to sessions. New session for every shoot. When all is said and done, import the remaining images into a catalog. Do not mess around with the catalog other then that. This way you will be eternally happy. Best of both worlds. :)

Am I able to keep both sessions and catalogs? If I import sessions to catalog, does it allow to sync all edits from either sessions or catalog?

Not really. If you start with a session and then import the images later into a catalog, then the edits you have done in the session will get imported into the catalog. But if you later do more work on those images once they are in the catalog, the changes do not get synced to the session. The idea of using both is that the session is a quick and convenient way of dealing with your images in the first instance, it's portable (so you can easily copy a whole session folder from one computer to another and carry on with your work). But it is also convenient to have the images in the catalog in the end - easier for example to find images from different dates using a keyword like "grey heron" for example to find all your grey heron pictures. You can still edit them some more, but the golden rule is that once you have put the images into the catalog, you only work on those images in the catalog from then on.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 11.x Software