slow preview generation

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

slow preview generation

Postby picman2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 am

I find C1's preview generation slow in general. But what bothers me more is its habit to re-generate previews which were already made the previous day. Why does it do that?
picman2

Re: slow preview generation

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 pm

picman2 wrote:I find C1's preview generation slow in general. But what bothers me more is its habit to re-generate previews which were already made the previous day. Why does it do that?

I haven't seen C1 regenerate the previews already generated. If it does that best to raise a support ticket.

What I have seen is that it will only generate the previews for images in the current collection. So if you import 1000 images, but work a collection with only 100 of those images, then only that 100 will have previews generated.

After I import a lot of images, I usually let C1 sit for a few hours or over night with the all images collection selected. This then takes care of generating all the previews.
Eric Nepean

Postby picman2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your comments. I just had it happen again. I created a new session, imported about 300 pictures from an external disk, and let the program calmly import all the files and generate all the previews. When that was finished, I shut down C1, and one hour later re-open that session: bang, there it goes again, taking about 10 minutes to generate the previews all over again.
Last edited by picman2 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
picman2

Postby ben_US » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Best option here is to create a tech support case (via the link in my profile) and send us your log files, which can be generated via the Scripts > Get Logs option.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby picman2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks ben_US, I just did that. Got lightning fast reply (:-)). As of yet no solution but I am hopeful.
picman2

Postby NNN636150168478830448 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:36 pm

picman2. Did you ever find out a solution to the slow loading? I have the same issue. Difference being that I shoot to a server.
NNN636150168478830448

Postby RedRobin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:56 am

I have the same problem too and have done for several Capture One past versions.

I have to leave Capture One running the whole time whether I am using it or not, hence gobbling up other resources.

It is very irritating in the way this severely interrupts workflow.
RedRobin

Postby NNN636150168478830448 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Update. Since my last post we have tried something that seems to be helping. We got rid of the favourites that were being used. When we shoot a large amount of images to a session we were creating favourites to help keep thing organized. Since getting rid of them the session opens much faster.

I still think that some of the issues that we have are because we shoot to a server.
NNN636150168478830448

Postby RedRobin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:07 pm

NNN636150168478830448 wrote:Update. Since my last post we have tried something that seems to be helping. We got rid of the favourites that were being used. When we shoot a large amount of images to a session we were creating favourites to help keep thing organized. Since getting rid of them the session opens much faster.

I still think that some of the issues that we have are because we shoot to a server.

.... What are 'favourites' please? I am fairly sure that I don't have a 'favourites' option selected but I still have the same problem.

I use Sessions rather than Catalogues.
RedRobin

Postby NNN636150168478830448 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:39 pm

RedRobin wrote:
NNN636150168478830448 wrote:Update. Since my last post we have tried something that seems to be helping. We got rid of the favourites that were being used. When we shoot a large amount of images to a session we were creating favourites to help keep thing organized. Since getting rid of them the session opens much faster.

.... What are 'favourites' please? I am fairly sure that I don't have a 'favourites' option selected but I still have the same problem.

I use Sessions rather than Catalogues.

Favorites are a part of your Session when it is created. You will find them in your Library Tool Tab.They are a way to organize what you are doing. I also shoot to sessions rather than catalogues. Another thing I did was go to Preferences and under the Image tab changed Preview Image size to 5120. I had read that with the new retina displays this is the thing to do.
NNN636150168478830448

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 am

Favourite folders are simply links to folders that would, usually, be folders outside the session created folder structure (much the same as Referenced folders are in a Catalogue) but folders that you still wish to connect to the session for future re-use at some point. So just a link.

If you close a session with one of those Favourite folders open when you re-open the session it will (usually) be resumed from where you last closed it. If that was an open folder with a lot of images C1 will re-open that folder and start to populate memory with the contents. This may take some time depending on all the usual factors including access times to the folder, disk read (and write) performance, internal data transfer capabilities and, not least, how many files there are in the folder and how much editing work has been performed on them. Also n some situations, what sort of edits there might be.

If one only ever uses 'referenced' favourite folders removing the favourite link should make the session opening very fast since there will be no images to pre-load. Ideal if you plan to start on a fresh folder anyway.

If resuming an edit already in process from the folder you last used I guess one would simply lose a a few extra seconds whilst one navigated to the folder you wanted to work on and selected it so the file load could start.

If on has a lot of smart albums then as these are in effect active searches the search will need to be re-performed when one uses them if they are to be kept up to date when selecting a new folder to work with in the session.

So, lots of things to consider depending on one's preferred way of working.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636514531318806334 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:02 am

I have the same problem. It keeps regenerating previews. It happens when after a crash. It crashes when I switch catalogs. After switching to a different catalog, it will regenerate previews again and again.
NNN636514531318806334

Postby RedRobin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:26 am

NNN636514531318806334 wrote:I have the same problem. It keeps regenerating previews. It happens when after a crash. It crashes when I switch catalogs. After switching to a different catalog, it will regenerate previews again and again.

.... It happens to me when I switch between different Sessions.

Grant aka SFA, thank you very much for your full explanation about Favourites - Much appreciated.

I have no Favourites selected, nor tags.
RedRobin

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:31 pm

NNN636514531318806334 wrote:I have the same problem. It keeps regenerating previews. It happens when after a crash. It crashes when I switch catalogs. After switching to a different catalog, it will regenerate previews again and again.

Are you sure it is regenerating and not just managing what is pre-loaded into memory to be ready for use?

You would need to look at the dates on the preview files. (Easy in a session but I have no knowledge of how that might be addressed in a catalogue as I don;t use catalogues and have never investigated how to find things like that.)

Grant
SFA

Postby RedRobin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:09 pm

SFA wrote:Are you sure it is regenerating and not just managing what is pre-loaded into memory to be ready for use?

You would need to look at the dates on the preview files. (Easy in a session but I have no knowledge of how that might be addressed in a catalogue as I don;t use catalogues and have never investigated how to find things like that.)

Grant

.... That's a very good point, Grant [highlit in bold]. However, my iMac has 24GB of RAM and usually about 12GB available when running Capture One. Is that not enough RAM?

Most of my Session folders (each with Capture/Output/Select/Trash subs) are year-titled and used just for the year. So for example, '2018 Birds' currently containing about 200 RAW CR2 files plus the TIFFS after editing, will be superceded by '2019 Birds' in January. The 2018 folders will continue to exist just as the 2017 and 2106 folders already do, all remaining in one growing session.

All these folders can be found in 'Capture One Library' folder on my hard drive 'HD2'. The C1 application is on my internal SSD with the OS etc.

I cull my shots in FastRawViewer before transferring any to Capture One.

I have watched the Working with Catalogs and with Sessions videos published by Capture One but still have difficulty understanding their differences or which would work best for my folders structure. I think my problem is that I don't understand Capture One's structure - It doesn't appear logical to me.
RedRobin

Next

Return to Capture One 11.x Software