quits on ajustment layers mask

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

quits on ajustment layers mask

Postby CanardXpan_ » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi Forum !
Since a (long...) week my CO quits while I am working onto layer masks. I'm having an average on 8-10 layers, sometimes working with a duplicate image (trying to "protect" the original with masks).
It is a new problem for me.
As I work, the software quits and I've send reports to PhaseOne since.
Upon reopenign/restarting my CO, all my latest layers misses theirs mask, thus being replace by new empty mask....grrr.

Any idea on this ?
Hoping that no one got this, it is very annoying... Hours of masking disappeared...
Thank you !

I haven't displace any folder on the CO layout.
Working on a MAC, directly on the main SSD.
MAC OS 10.13.6
CO 11.3.1.6 build
CanardXpan_

Re: quits on ajustment layers mask

Postby SFA » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Session or Catalog?

Have you created a Support Case with Phase one? (This is NOT at all the same as a crash report).

If not you should do so immediately.

HTH.

Grant

Be sure to send the LOG FILES when you create the Support case.
SFA

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:37 am

With a large number of laers and masks, Capture One may be running out of memory and not managing the situation successfully, or not managing the large number of layers well.

How much RAM does your system have? It is probably worth checking the RAM usage as you get so many layers - if the memory pressure is high, then thats an indicator.

What I find myself now doing is making nor or very few adjustments on the background layer, and then making layers with masks for each part of the image, and adjusting the layer-parts separately. That way I don't spend effort undoing some adjustment that has been already been done on the background layer, but not quite right for this section of the image.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:13 pm

It has occurred to me as I read Eric's reply that we have not yet established what sort of files you are working on.

Also your comment: "(trying to "protect" the original with masks)" could be interpreted in different ways.

In the context of Capture One and the availability of variants for an image it is not clear what your intention is.

Grant
SFA

Postby Focuspuller » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:49 am

This JUST happened to me. Latest Mojave on a MacPro w/16MB of ram, latest CP1, Nikon D850 NEF files. Four adjustment layers, then a crash. Upon rebooting, the message appears stating that all my layer masks from the previous session, involving two variants and total 8 masks "could not load." Sure enough, every layer I had been working on had no masks, although the adjustments did survive. All masks from previous sessions appeared intact. I have opened a support case and I hope there is a solution forthcoming because I am now very leery of using CP1 at all.

-AD
Focuspuller

Postby Focuspuller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:30 pm

This reply from Tech Support:

"As for the mask issue, this is a major bug in Capture One 11 that we hope to have resolved by the next service release due out soon. The only way to recover the masks currently is from a dedicated backup. We apologize for the major inconvenience and we have the highest priority on getting this sorted out soon."

-AD
Focuspuller

Postby Humanitarian_Photographer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:12 am

Turning ON "Automatic Graphics Switching" located under "Energy Saver" in the OS System Preferences Control Panel appeared to solve my problem of Capture One randomly crashing while working with layers, masks, and rotating images. It was crashing several times a day. Now it has run for several days without a crash.
Humanitarian_Photographer

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:23 am

Humanitarian_Photographer wrote:Turning ON "Automatic Graphics Switching" located under "Energy Saver" in the OS System Preferences Control Panel appeared to solve my problem of Capture One randomly crashing while working with layers, masks, and rotating images. It was crashing several times a day. Now it has run for several days without a crash.

Can you say which version of OSX and which hardware you are using?
I have a late 2015 iMac with OSX 10.12.6, and I don't see this option.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Humanitarian_Photographer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 am

Hi Eric, I am using Mojave 10.14.1 on a MacBook Pro 15-inch mid 2015. The System Preferences Control Panel is part of Mojave, not Capture One. It has been another day without a crash since I made this change. Bryan
Humanitarian_Photographer

Postby Emile » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:00 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:
Humanitarian_Photographer wrote:Turning ON "Automatic Graphics Switching" located under "Energy Saver" in the OS System Preferences Control Panel appeared to solve my problem of Capture One randomly crashing while working with layers, masks, and rotating images. It was crashing several times a day. Now it has run for several days without a crash.

Can you say which version of OSX and which hardware you are using?
I have a late 2015 iMac with OSX 10.12.6, and I don't see this option.

I think you need to have a dedicated GPU plus an intel on-board GPU in order to be able to use automated graphics switching. The higher-end MBPs have had that since at least 2010 (when I got a 17” MBP). I would be surprised if the iMac has this. In a laptop it makes sense to have a low-power on-board GPU for simple tasks to maximize autonomy using the battery and a high-end power-hungry option for graphic intensive work; for desktops that are always plugged in this makes far less sense. But I could be wrong obviously- not everything makes sense in the world :wink:
Fujifilm, Mac, Capture One user since v3.0
Emile

Return to Capture One 11.x Software