Amateurs and Capture One

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Amateurs and Capture One

Postby VAD. » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:31 pm

I'm using Capture One with stand alone licence v10 and now I have an upgrade problem. The C1 prices are progresively increasing and as an amateur I'm not willing to pay that much. Also I don't like the free Fuji version as this do not support sessions. For a small fee Phase One could make the sessions available to retain the customers. I saw the new PowerRaw and this can be a replacement for Capture One....
VAD.

Re: Amateurs and Capture One

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 pm

If you are referring to Manufacturer specific Capture One with full PRO facilities but limited to your camera hardware of choice (Sony or Fuji) then they do make the full functionality available for a small fee.

Or are you referring to something else?
SFA

Postby VAD. » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:40 pm

SFA wrote:If you are referring to Manufacturer specific Capture One with full PRO facilities but limited to your camera hardware of choice (Sony or Fuji) then they do make the full functionality available for a small fee.

Or are you referring to something else?

I'm talking just about sessions, editing images without importing in catalogues, not about PRO features.
I made my decision today and deleted Capture One as the second version of RawPower fits my needs and costs only USD30. This is more then 90% cheaper as Capture One. For sure there are persons who need / want C1, but not me.
Bye!
VAD.

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:26 pm

It's odd really. At one time C1 only offered sessions but the World (and most of its serious amateurs) seemed to want Catalogues as provided by Lightroom and Aperture.

At some point Express versions become Catalogue only and manufacturer specific.

VAD, I think you may have missed some of the point about 'importing' to a catalogue but never mind.

Enjoy your choice.

Bye.
SFA

Postby cdc » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:01 pm

VAD. wrote:I'm talking just about sessions, editing images without importing in catalogues, not about PRO features.
I made my decision today and deleted Capture One as the second version of RawPower fits my needs and costs only USD30. This is more then 90% cheaper as Capture One. For sure there are persons who need / want C1, but not me.
Bye!

For what its worth Sessions are "PRO" features. The vast majority of professional photographers using Capture One are using sessions. The way I see it catalogs are tailored more towards the amateur market or personal work where there is a body of work collected over an extended period of time and sessions are a better with professional workflows where each new job gets a new session.
cdc

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi,

I personnaly use both, catalogs and sessions, depending upon the project I am working on. For projects to be shooted in a short time (events, weddings, conferences, exhibitions,...), I use sessions. For long term sets I use catalogs. And when I want to merge both, I import sessions into catalogs. Capture One is very customisable with this respect.

Second, I am not sure you will find in RAW Power tools as performing as the ones in Capture One. I am an amateur, and C1 suits me perfectly, because of many tools I can't find in other softwares, such as local adjustments, color space and ICC profiles management, etc. But if Photos as a DAM and RAW Power as a developper (emanating from the dead Aperture) suit you, it's perfect. People should choose the softwares they feel the best with.
tenmangu81

Postby Keith Reeder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:21 pm

cdc wrote:The vast majority of professional photographers using Capture One are using sessions.

A confident assertion. Evidence please?

All I know from too many years on this forum is that sessions are pretty much the default for anyone who has ever expressed an opinion - enthusiast or pro - simply because of the flakiness and general shortcomings of Capture One's implementation of catalogues.
Keith Reeder

Postby cdc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:11 am

Keith Reeder wrote:
cdc wrote:The vast majority of professional photographers using Capture One are using sessions.

Experience. Feel free to come to your own conclusions.
cdc

Postby Wesley » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 am

Keith Reeder wrote:

All I know from too many years on this forum is that sessions are pretty much the default for anyone who has ever expressed an opinion - enthusiast or pro - simply because of the flakiness and general shortcomings of Capture One's implementation of catalogues.

Seeing as how catalog took seven versions to be implemented, you don't need to be confident to know the majority is using sessions...
Wesley

Return to Capture One 11.x Software